Definitive Audiophile pressings

I just really want some great soul reissues. there's kind of a gap when it comes to really awesome AAA soul reissues. We've been getting some Curtis stuff from ROG and Aretha here and there. Would really love Black Moses as a one step. I wanted to pick up the Craft Black Moses reissue but heard bad things about the US version and that the EU one was better....haven't gotten it yet though.
I've been loving that Staple Singers box set, and it's put me in the mood for more soul too.

My local, is charging SEVENTY SIX dollars for that ROG. Infuriating... if I wanted it, which I don't, because I have the other one....

With euro parity to the dollar I don’t want to know what I’m going to get charged for customs. The good thing is that it is usps to an post so at least the service charge is only €3.50…

View attachment 150361

this is the one I ordered too (pic from discogs...not mine...haven't received even a shipping notice for mine yet but I ordered it earlier this week).
I like this colored vinyl pressing type. I think they call them "hi-melt" variants, or something along those lines. Not sure what that means, but the records I have in this style are Tortoise albums out of RTI and they sound and look incredible.

I like this colored vinyl pressing type. I think they call them "hi-melt" variants, or something along those lines. Not sure what that means, but the records I have in this style are Tortoise albums out of RTI and they sound and look incredible.
I think the recent Nancy Sinatra albums are like this too? And also sound great.

Yea I have quite a few. I think the Idris Muhammad Jazz Dispensary title that VMP just did has it too. Was worried when I got my first one that it would cause surface noise but the ones I have do sound great

Last edited:
Still available from Run Out Groove - do they ship to Canada?

Oh damn, I looked there but I didn't see it. Yes, they do. Considering the few places that had it were charging over $60 and some in the $75 range, the exchange and shipping might actually work out in my favor too.

Thanks!

Oh damn, I looked there but I didn't see it. Yes, they do. Considering the few places that had it were charging over $60 and some in the $75 range, the exchange and shipping might actually work out in my favor too.

Thanks!
I ordered from there last week and was trying to see what else they had in stock but for the life of me couldn’t find most of their available titles using their site nav. Had to google it haha really bad website!

there's a super long interview with speakers corner president here:

haven't watched it (and probably won't to be honest...) but did see this bullet point from someone who DID watch it:

He says that they can't license top tier Sony titles but when they do license a title from Sony, they can choose between a digital file or a tape copy from the original master tape made by Mark Wilder. They always choose the tape copy.

Sounds like another nail in the coffin for Thriller one step.

I saw a comment today from a guy selling Mofi KOB and he said he hasn't even received a msg in regards to his listing it for sale on Hoffman.
That would never happen a few months ago.

Sounds like another nail in the coffin for Thriller one step.

I saw a comment today from a guy selling Mofi KOB and he said he hasn't even received a msg in regards to his listing it for sale on Hoffman.
That would never happen a few months ago.
Makes sense for SC to do a tape transfer because they don’t do digital at all and don’t have the system MoFi does. So many people seem to get caught up in the digital vs analogue that they forget how good some of the MoFis sound. I think people will hear really good reviews of the thriller one step, have their interest piqued and it will end up selling well. Mikefromtheingroovephoenixarizona said it sounds amazing when he got to sample it at MoFi.

The price and interest in the MoFi KOB has been dropping ever since the 33 UHQR came out. People were charging near $100 for the MoFi when the UHQR was released and the number of people who like the MoFi over the UHQR are few and far between. UHQR came out and people started paying less for the MoFi. The 33UHQR was back in stock at MSRP over at Music Direct this week for $99. The other guy was asking $80 shipped on hoffman. Kind of a no brainer IMO to spend the extra $20 on the UHQR. I have the MoFi and the UHQR and strongly prefer the UHQR. The guy on hoffman is also lowering his asking price by $1 or $2 every few days so not shocked that it’s not selling.

MoFi -mania has definitely taken a hit. You can tell by their restocks staying up longer. The other Miles MoFis that just came back into stock last week (which are excellent) are somehow still around. I can’t help but think that flippers got scared off and the FOMO isn’t as strong now. Also at this point, the same titles coming out over and over again at bigger and bigger prices is wearing on people. I think AP messed up a bit by selling so many copies of the 33 and then waiting so long for the 45 to come out (and raising the price to $150).

Makes sense for SC to do a tape transfer because they don’t do digital at all and don’t have the system MoFi does. So many people seem to get caught up in the digital vs analogue that they forget how good some of the MoFis sound. I think people will hear really good reviews of the thriller one step, have their interest piqued and it will end up selling well. Mikefromtheingroovephoenixarizona said it sounds amazing when he got to sample it at MoFi.

The price and interest in the MoFi KOB has been dropping ever since the 33 UHQR came out. People were charging near $100 for the MoFi when the UHQR was released and the number of people who like the MoFi over the UHQR are few and far between. UHQR came out and people started paying less for the MoFi. The 33UHQR was back in stock at MSRP over at Music Direct this week for $99. The other guy was asking $80 shipped on hoffman. Kind of a no brainer IMO to spend the extra $20 on the UHQR. I have the MoFi and the UHQR and strongly prefer the UHQR. The guy on hoffman is also lowering his asking price by $1 or $2 every few days so not shocked that it’s not selling.

MoFi -mania has definitely taken a hit. You can tell by their restocks staying up longer. The other Miles MoFis that just came back into stock last week (which are excellent) are somehow still around. I can’t help but think that flippers got scared off and the FOMO isn’t as strong now. Also at this point, the same titles coming out over and over again at bigger and bigger prices is wearing on people. I think AP messed up a bit by selling so many copies of the 33 and then waiting so long for the 45 to come out (and raising the price to $150).
Chad stated they already sold 30% of the KOB 45s.
I don’t believe that at all. He was trying to sell hype on YT.
It's going to be in stock for awhile at $175 shipped IMO.

So many Mike's these days.
It seems PhoenixMike is also trying to salvage a relationship with Mofi so I take some things he says with caution, especially with the Thriller even though I am not that consumer. I'm sure there have been some back door discussions with Mofi after the bomb dropped.
In the end, he's a record salesman.

I do think the VC will reject the $100+ LP that is not cut from master tape... no matter how super quadruple the vinyl compound is marketed.

Back in the day, the MOFI KOB was considered by many to be superior to the Classic Grundman KOB, as the MOFI has fuller bass and richer tonality, benefitting from Mark Wilder's 3 track remix. Plus the stereo Classic has the typical hole in the middle of the period. I sold my Grundman Classic and stuck with the MOFI.

Funny how things can change.

Back