Definitive Audiophile pressings

I kept my backorder for Making Movies and Brothers in Arms to finish out the Mofi Dire Straights collection.

Good lord they actually printed "original master tape" on the Brothers in Arms jacket.
This wasn't even originally recorded to tape🙄

LP sounds good anyway. I've been working for a while to complete this set and might as well finish it.

20220803_130954.jpg

I kept my backorder for Making Movies and Brothers in Arms to finish out the Mofi Dire Straights collection.

Good lord they actually printed "original master tape" on the Brothers in Arms jacket.
This wasn't even originally recorded to tape🙄

LP sounds good anyway. I've been working for a while to complete this set and might as well finish it.

View attachment 147777
Digital tape is still tape, no?

There's no such thing as digital tape.
They cloned a digital master file.
Although, their use of the word clone is a little odd.
Digital audio tape is a thing. Known as DAT commonly but that may be a specific format. Apparently Brothers in Arms was one of the first albums to be recorded on a Sony 24-track digital tape machine. Sony PCM-3324.

Regarding the Dire Straits, looks to be boiler plate language.
It repeats the same sentence in Making Movies.
Some lawyer was paid big bucks for that sentence.

Sony Umatic-The birth of CDs it seems

U-matic was also used for the storage of digital audio data. Most digital audio recordings from the 1980s were recorded on U-matic tape via a Sony PCM-1600, -1610, or -1630 PCM adaptor. These devices accepted stereo analogue audio, digitised it, and generated "pseudo video" from the bits, storing 96 bits—three stereo pairs of 16-bit samples—as bright and dark regions along each scan line. (On a monitor the "video" looked like vibrating checkerboard patterns.) This could be recorded on a U-matic recorder. This was the first system used for mastering audio compact discs in the early 1980s. The famous compact disc 44.1 kHz sampling rate was based on a best-fit calculation for PAL and monochrome NTSC video's horizontal line period and rate and U-matic's luminance bandwidth. On playback, the PCM adapter converted the light and dark regions back into bits. Glass masters for audio CDs were made via laser from the PCM-1600's digital output to a photoresist- or dye-polymer-coated disc. This method was common until the mid-1990s.

I work in such an advanced place that we only finally got rid of a room full of digital tapes as the server backup just before Covid…
I worked for a digital tape company for a few years in a previous career, and it's still by far the most economical and environmentally friendly option for server backups, and anything deep archive. It's just slower than SSD options. Despite decades of materials scientists claiming they were on the cusp of better long term storage solutions that don't suffer from data degradation they've never been able to perfect any of the ideas or make them cost effective for wide-spread adaptation. But the coolest I saw at the National Association of Broadcasters tradeshow in Vegas about 15 years ago was a crystal cube that they claimed they would eventually be able to laser etch the data around the area of these microscopic spherical tubes running through the cube. It was supposed to be able to make the data readable for thousands of years, but it had no rewrite capability and estimates at the time were over 100K per cube which then could fit about 5TB, something they've shot way past with Linear Tape Open (LTO).

Yeah mine is the first MOV that used the OG plates. It's fantastic. It's one that I pinpointed early on that I really wanted so I searched it out about five years ago and even then it took some work.
Wow. Didn't know this. I was PIFed the 2012 MOV pressing, and sure enough Bob Ludwig is credited with the mastering. Guess I made out well there.

Back