Definitive Audiophile pressings

Bill Evans Sunday From The Village Vanguard and Waltz For Debby plz

Side note: Was at the local yesterday and took a shot on a Riverside title I was only vaguely aware of which was Blue Mitchell’s “Blue’s Moods”.

I only knew the opening track but I have spun this thing 3 times already since picking it up, anyone looking for a great and easily digestible jazz record to listen to today, give it a stream! Then spring for the copy I came across, sounds incredible!
Someone at SHF said the Waltz for Debby tapes weren't good anymore and I doubt Village Vanguard will get another One Step since MoFi already did it, sadly. I'm personally hoping for some Contemporary Records titles as Roy DuNann gave RVG a run for his money in the production department. I'd also really love some non-jazz. I'd buy the shit out of an Otis Redding One Step.

Someone at SHF said the Waltz for Debby tapes weren't good anymore and I doubt Village Vanguard will get another One Step since MoFi already did it, sadly. I'm personally hoping for some Contemporary Records titles as Roy DuNann gave RVG a run for his money in the production department. I'd also really love some non-jazz. I'd buy the shit out of an Otis Redding One Step.

Big Start - 3rd needs a proper reissue

TBH, I've been long hoping that AP re-issued the Bill Evans box, but I would love Craft to do Village Vangaurd as a One Step. Do Craft own all those labels or just get access to tapes in the same way MoFi would?

I've heard great things about Roy DuNann but haven't purchased anything yet. Do you think they would have a mother go at Way out West?

Got a response to my email asking why my 2nd order was cancelled:

Due to the limited nature of this release, individuals were limited to 1 order shortly after the pre-orders went live. Due to this, one of your orders was cancelled while the other was kept active. Since this release has completely sold out at this time, we are unable to reinstate the order even if it was for a friend. However, if anyone cancels, limited stock could become available again. If he is interested, he can subscribe on the item page to be advised if any stock returns:

John Coltrane - Lush Life (Small Batch, One-Step Pressing)

Any future order would have to be associated with a different name, email, and address as yours or it will be cancelled again to abide by the 1 per person rule. We apologize for any inconvenience, and please let us know if you have any additional questions, or if we can be of further assistance.

We hope you have a good rest of your day!

Understandable! Also interesting to note that it seems that this is being run through Second City Prints for distribution.

Got a response to my email asking why my 2nd order was cancelled:

Due to the limited nature of this release, individuals were limited to 1 order shortly after the pre-orders went live. Due to this, one of your orders was cancelled while the other was kept active. Since this release has completely sold out at this time, we are unable to reinstate the order even if it was for a friend. However, if anyone cancels, limited stock could become available again. If he is interested, he can subscribe on the item page to be advised if any stock returns:

John Coltrane - Lush Life (Small Batch, One-Step Pressing)

Any future order would have to be associated with a different name, email, and address as yours or it will be cancelled again to abide by the 1 per person rule. We apologize for any inconvenience, and please let us know if you have any additional questions, or if we can be of further assistance.

We hope you have a good rest of your day!

Understandable! Also interesting to note that it seems that this is being run through Second City Prints for distribution.

That's good.

When I cancelled yesterday, I saw the PayPal payment had gone to second city prints. For a moment I thought I'd been scammed.

TBH, I've been long hoping that AP re-issued the Bill Evans box, but I would love Craft to do Village Vangaurd as a One Step. Do Craft own all those labels or just get access to tapes in the same way MoFi would?

I've heard great things about Roy DuNann but haven't purchased anything yet. Do you think they would have a mother go at Way out West?
Some of those old Contemporary pressings sound incredible. The last Way Out West deluxe box from Craft wasn't AAA, so it's always possible but people did love the sound on it for the most part. I love the Shelly Manne at the Blackhawk records but they have just gotten really pricey now.

Miles on Prestige is also probably a decent guess. Workin' is a title to keep an eye out on as I don't think that has had an audiophile release since AP's in 2003.

wlkGDhG.jpeg

Looks like this has been in the works for even longer than I thought. Here's a test press from 5/23/19.
what am I looking at? Is it the Lush Life?

Some of those old Contemporary pressings sound incredible. The last Way Out West deluxe box from Craft wasn't AAA, so it's always possible but people did love the sound on it for the most part. I love the Shelly Manne at the Blackhawk records but they have just gotten really pricey now.

Miles on Prestige is also probably a decent guess. Workin' is a title to keep an eye out on as I don't think that has had an audiophile release since AP's in 2003.
I thought they did all of them in the AP Prestige Mono series a few years ago. Or was it just Cookin', Relaxin', and Steamin'? Still wish I had picked up a few more of those. I think I only got Saxophone Colossus, but I meant to get at least one Miles and the two Dolphy at the five spot ones.

what am I looking at? Is it the Lush Life?
Yes--someone on reddit posted then deleted that image. It's the test pressing of the Lush Life One Step and is dated 2019. The same account seems to have given a heads up that the release was coming yesterday before anybody else really knew when it was going to come out.

I thought they did all of them in the AP Prestige Mono series a few years ago. Or was it just Cookin', Relaxin', and Steamin'? Still wish I had picked up a few more of those. I think I only got Saxophone Colossus, but I meant to get at least one Miles and the two Dolphy at the five spot ones.
From a quick scan, 2003 was the last AP release of Workin. Maybe it was in a box set. There are still one or two titles left on AS from that series I think but none of those you mentioned.

Just got my Shibata tipped Ortofon Blue snapped on, time to revisit my Sarah Vaughan and see if those issues were simply caused by mistracking from a banged up stylus!

Standby.
I am very curious to hear how this goes for numerous reasons.

Last edited:
From a quick scan, 2003 was the last AP release of Workin. Maybe it was in a box set. There are still one or two titles left on AS from that series I think but none of those you mentioned.
Oh, ok, it was just those three. Also, I guess I got confused because the Five Spots had just come out when I ordered Saxophone Colossus in 2016. They were Stereo. Those Prestige Monos were around for a long time, including Lush Life, apparently!

Another question. I'm just playing 'Miles - In a Silent Way', for the first time. I got a KG pressing through a Discogs seller. It seemed like the best option available. So far it sounds pretty great, how does the mofI compare (I'm so kicking myself that I let the Miles MoFi's pass me by)

edit- I have (the MoFi) on the corner, on its way but my other miles are all pretty much the mono reissues

Just reading about the Craft one batch on this site, and it's probably a mistake, but it says each title in the series will be limited to 1000

Not sure I'm following. Why would the assumption be that this was a mistake? Why wouldn't they limit these to 1,000? At some level, they're selling exclusivity, and "small batch" surely loses its flavor beyond a certain number for each pressing. If the goal is to allow everyone who wants it to eventually buy it, they'll need another name for what they're doing, and then a price-point in line with the Tone Poets.

Not sure I'm following. Why would the assumption be that this was a mistake? Why wouldn't they limit these to 1,000? At some level, they're selling exclusivity, and "small batch" surely loses its flavor beyond a certain number for each pressing. If the goal is to allow everyone who wants it to eventually buy it, they'll need another name for what they're doing, and then a price-point in line with the Tone Poets.
I would be absolutely shocked if they don't press more than 1,000 within their first few titles. I bet the 2nd + 3rd might already be in production. Small batch is a pretty vague term. There are record store day titles that had 9,000 copies that were still considered limited. I think anything under 5,000 would probably be considered "small batch". IIRC, the original press release said nothing about ALL titles being 1,000, just Lush Life. Long-term, they'd be leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table for each release. Now that they know this is clearly a viable product, I bet they up the counts within the first 3 issued.

I am very curious to hear how this goes for numerous reasons.
Just finished Side A, still getting distortion. Specifically, I'm getting left channel distortion that sounds like a very sharp/tinny/fuzzy version of Sarah's vocals. Does this sound like a pressing issue, anti-skate issue, misalignment or something else?

I would be absolutely shocked if they don't press more than 1,000 within their first few titles. I bet the 2nd + 3rd might already be in production. Small batch is a pretty vague term. There are record store day titles that had 9,000 copies that were still considered limited. I think anything under 5,000 would probably be considered "small batch". IIRC, the original press release said nothing about ALL titles being 1,000, just Lush Life. Long-term, they'd be leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table for each release. Now that they know this is clearly a viable product, I bet they up the counts within the first 3 issued.
Makes sense. It'll be interesting to see how they approach it, and I for one will hope that the fear of "money left on the table" will not be too high a priority. :D FOMLOTT, the supply side of FOMO haha!

Just finished Side A, still getting distortion. Specifically, I'm getting left channel distortion that sounds like a very sharp/tinny/fuzzy version of Sarah's vocals. Does this sound like a pressing issue, anti-skate issue, misalignment or something else?

I'm not the expert, but could it be a poor connection along the line somewhere? maybe where the cartridge connects?

edit - it might not be vinyl related at all, but can you check if you get the same issue from another source? It could be cabling. The only think that makes me think this is 'the left channel', there is a possibility of some bad wiring, or poor connection on the left side.

Last edited:
Back