Definitive Audiophile pressings

Just compared the '79 MoFi and 2003 KG presses of DSOTM and man, they both sound great. I went back and forth on the track 'Time,' and basically, which ever one I was listening to was the one I thought sounded best at the time. Until I switched :D. I'd say you can't go wrong, so get the one you can get. Definitely nothing missing from the MoFi mastering as far as I can tell, and if it is, I doubt that anything but a really careful comparison would allow for discerning it, and that's not what listening to music is all about as far as I'm concerned.

Now I suppose I should see how they compare to the '73 first pressing I own.... Oy!

Just compared the '79 MoFi and 2003 KG presses of DSOTM and man, they both sound great. I went back and forth on the track 'Time,' and basically, which ever one I was listening to was the one I thought sounded best at the time. Until I switched :D. I'd say you can't go wrong, so get the one you can get. Definitely nothing missing from the MoFi mastering as far as I can tell, and if it is, I doubt that anything but a really careful comparison would allow for discerning it, and that's not what listening to music is all about as far as I'm concerned.

Now I suppose I should see how they compare to the '73 first pressing I own.... Oy!
I would be perfectly happy with my BG if I could find a clean copy. But all of the ones I tried were covered in clicks and pops, same for WYWH and The Wall. Love the mastering, hate the Optimal pressing.

I would be perfectly happy with my BG if I could find a clean copy. But all of the ones I tried were covered in clicks and pops, same for WYWH and The Wall. Love the mastering, hate the Optimal pressing.
Yeah, I agree that finding a quiet copy is in some ways more challenging than finding the 'best' mastering.

I remember ya posting about this awhile back and you said you found a copy. Did it not pan out? I'd still recommend going for the Speakers Corner pressing if you can't find the ORG...
Yeah the company I bought it from ended up cancelling my order as they never received a restock from ORG which is a shame. I guess it might be time to pull the trigger on the SC pressing! Cant imagine its that inferior.

As I mentioned earlier I picked up the 3 Hendrix Family QRP Sterling/BG presses today. Halfway through Are You Experienced and I'm very impressed, ESPECIALLY for $24 CAD which might be the cheapest album I've ever bought... let alone with this quality of pressing.

Picked up the 3 Hendrix Family QRP Sterling/BG presses today. Halfway through Are You Experienced and I'm very impressed, ESPECIALLY for $24 CAD which might be the cheapest album I've ever bought... let alone with this quality of pressing.
tenor.gif

yes--they are VERY impressive especially for the price. I might pick up some of the others now...I have $5 in eBay bucks dying to be used haha

As I mentioned earlier I picked up the 3 Hendrix Family QRP Sterling/BG presses today. Halfway through Are You Experienced and I'm very impressed, ESPECIALLY for $24 CAD which might be the cheapest album I've ever bought... let alone with this quality of pressing.

tenor.gif

yes--they are VERY impressive especially for the price. I might pick up some of the others now...I have $5 in eBay bucks dying to be used haha
Get Blues if you haven't yet!

Yesh they’re brilliant and fairly priced. Gunna have to spin these 3 again soon!

I kinda feel like being a mastering engineer would be it's own kind of hell for music lovers. Like sure you get to hear the albums in likely unparalleled clarity but you have to pore over ever song millisecond by millisecond, over and over again to make sure everything is correct. I don't know how you don't come out of each of these sessions being sick to death of every album you've worked on.
You do get to hear the album a lot, that’s for sure! Haha. In reality, it’s not millisecond by millisecond. A lot of the processes you’re using are global for the entire record, with adjustments song by song, sometimes section by section, but not too terribly often. More often, it’s the mixing that’ll drive you nuts!

Because Music Direct have pulled a Music Matters and started putting flipper prices on their own product when it gets down to the final stock. Look at this garbage...

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly (Numbered 180g 45RPM Vinyl 2LP)
Ridiculous. If @MikeH is right and this one was just restocked, then it seems even worse, but maybe they just found some in the back of the warehouse. I do regret, along with a couple other Miles, not grabbin' that one, but no thanks for $60!

Ridiculous. If @MikeH is right and this one was just restocked, then it seems even worse, but maybe they just found some in the back of the warehouse. I do regret, along with a couple other Miles, not grabbin' that one, but no thanks for $60!
Yeah, pretty sweet that they decided to set the price on Superfly at almost 100% over the median Discogs value. I mean if you're gonna flip your own product might as well go balls to the wall on the pricing.

Toad Hall says MoFi found some things cleaning out the warehouse. Only a few copies of each. Still crazy though!

@Mather the Superfly price is craaaazy now. Just saw that the other day. Hate that they are flipping their own stuff now although that seems to be the norm. AS is doing the same thing with some older APs and Classic Records titles

Trying to get reasonably priced, good quality reissues is pushing me more and more to the digital side of things
I'm just really glad I snatched up as much as I did in terms of high end pressings over the past few years. Because there's a lot of stuff I'd be totally priced out of now due to this type of shenanigans.

Back