Definitive Audiophile pressings

My favorite part is when he says the people at Abbey Road should listen to the Sundazed box set and then not come out of their room because they should feel ashamed 😂😂. He wasn’t even listening to the KG cut box.
LOL. So much for his credibility, and attempt at being a senior citizen YouTube influencer! The KG Sundazed are all digital sourced, and from remasters done by Bob Irwin, who really doesn't give a shit. KG, when he cuts the lacquers - better than Sundzaed's usual, giving them to United in-house cutting guy. The KG box is fine. But far from a sonic masterpiece.

LOL. So much for his credibility, and attempt at being a senior citizen YouTube influencer! The KG Sundazed are all digital sourced, and from remasters done by Bob Irwin, who really doesn't give a shit. KG, when he cuts the lacquers - better than Sundzaed's usual, giving them to United in-house cutting guy. The KG box is fine. But far from a sonic masterpiece.
I don’t know that any copies seem to be a sonic masterpiece. People had said that the non-KG box is better than the earlier Sundazed box. The guy doesn’t say that the Sundazed version is audiophile really but that it sounds MUCH better than the new half speeds.

What’s the best (somewhat affordable) copy of their albums to get? Nearly every version I look at seems to have mediocre reviews at best so I chalk it up to the albums not being produced very well to begin with.

I don’t know that any copies seem to be a sonic masterpiece. People had said that the non-KG box is better than the earlier Sundazed box. The guy doesn’t say that the Sundazed version is audiophile really but that it sounds MUCH better than the new half speeds.

What’s the best (somewhat affordable) copy of their albums to get? Nearly every version I look at seems to have mediocre reviews at best so I chalk it up to the albums not being produced very well to begin with.
Lemme tell ya - the non-KG Sundazed box was such a wreck that they had KG redo it and then put it in a redesigned box to distinguish it from the first mess, cut at URP. I had the first box - not only was it the worst of United pressings, it sounded weak, lifeless. The KG, pressed at RTI, is much better, which I have now.

People say that if you get the Covid vax, you will get microchips implanted that the government will use to control you. I got the vax, and only thing I got was occasionally I hear voices in my head talking in Russian. First hand experience over online bullshit.

Last edited:

Oddly enough, The Complete Matrix Tapes box, which is all live, has terrific SQ. I think you've said before you're looking for their studio albums, so this doesn't help, but it is worth noting.

Lemme tell ya - the non-KG Sundazed box was such a wreck that they had KG redo it and then put it in a redesigned box to distinguish it from the first mess, cut at URP. I had the first box - not only was it the worst of United pressings, it sounded weak, lifeless. The KG, pressed at RTI, is much better, which I have now.

People say that if you get the Covid vax, you will get microchips implanted that the government will use to control you. I got the vax, and only thing I got was occasionally I hear voices in my head talking in Russian. First hand experience over online bullshit.
Sadly the KG box is nowhere to be found now. Not even eBay or discogs save for the occasional $400-$500 copy. All other modern reissues seem to have bad reviews

Over seen

To be fair he doesn’t even say the sun dazed is good, just meh. Surely the new half speed masters should be better than the sun dazed box. Miles should be ashamed.

He’s trying to get Abbey Road to take a look at what they are doing, which is a good thing. They have fucked up the Stones reissues. The one Bob Marley I got is a reggae record with no bass.

They aren’t all bad, but Mikes Shiwell is at best hit and miss, he really should have listened to some TML stones and some OG Bob Marley and compare them to his test pressings. If he did that and thinks his are great there must be an issue somewhere in the chain at Abbey Road

Edit- and he is right that these records deserve care and attention now. When Abbey Road do the Stones, Marley and VU this thread should be overly excited about great audiophile pressings coming out of great records, but it’s more in hope than expectation. Can you imagine the conversation if it was Impex doing these titles.

Last edited:
I'd say the half speeds would work for you if you can get them on sale. I got 2 of them for less than 60 at Sound Of Vinyl and am happy with them at that price.

That's good. They are £30 + postage (about $45) from Sound of Vinyl here, which makes them similar price to the Tone Poets.

I'd say the half speeds would work for you if you can get them on sale. I got 2 of them for less than 60 at Sound Of Vinyl and am happy with them at that price.
I may give them a shot. Thanks! They have the 20% off sale now and gave two of the titles in stock

Over seen

To be fair he doesn’t even say the sun dazed is good, just meh. Surely the new half speed masters should be better than the sun dazed box. Miles should be ashamed.

He’s trying to get Abbey Road to take a look at what they are doing, which is a good thing. They have fucked up the Stones reissues. The one Bob Marley I got is a reggae record with no bass.

They aren’t all bad, but Mikes Shiwell is at best hit and miss, he really should have listened to some TML stones and some OG Bob Marley and compare them to his test pressings. If he did that and thinks his are great there must be an issue somewhere in the chain at Abbey Road

Edit- and he is right that these records deserve care and attention now. When Abbey Road do the Stones, Marley and VU this thread should be overly excited about great audiophile pressings coming out of great records, but it’s more in hope than expectation. Can you imagine the conversation if it was Impex doing these titles.
It really is a shame. I don’t have many of the half speed masters but of the ones I do have, none sound amazing. Amy Winehouse is ok but the original recording was bad. The Specials is mediocre. Can’t even remember the others.

You’re right—if someone like Speakers Corner had all the titles that Abbey Road gets, we would all be amped up about every release.

It really is a shame. I don’t have many of the half speed masters but of the ones I do have, none sound amazing. Amy Winehouse is ok but the original recording was bad. The Specials is mediocre. Can’t even remember the others.

You’re right—if someone like Speakers Corner had all the titles that Abbey Road gets, we would all be amped up about every release.
Arthur Verocai from Mr Bongo and John Martyn's Solid Air are both fantastic (of the ones I have).

@MikeH I had the Brian Eno Abbey Road half-speeds. From what I remember they were pretty good. I got them in a sale and someone ended up messaging me on Instagram with an offer for the set for more than I bought it for at a time when I was culling the collection. If it wasn't for that I would have held on to them, I really did like them although I had nothing to compare them with.

I have the Arthur Verocai that @Poly-Rythmo mentioned and I agree that it's fantastic. Really great stuff.

Not sure if you’re a fan but all three of the Everything But the Girl albums they did sound amazing. Very affordable, too.

Just got email from MoFi indicating these are finally getting close to selling out. Killer LP.
I wish it would ship already! Tapestry too..

I grabbed White Light from the sale, the overwhelming thing is this, the best pressing available. I have a few AR Half Speeds, I can't say they're bad, I can't say they're the best pressings I've ever heard, but, with some albums such as this and Amy Winehouse, all you can do is get the best you can find. That being said, paying $25ish for this right now and if and when a true audiophile press comes along, I'm ok with investing in the better pressing at that point if I feel the need.

Not every album will have what we the general masses deem an audiophile pressing, some just are what they are.

Last edited:
Back