Definitive Audiophile pressings

I'm thinking about upgrading my copy of Cheap Thrills and undecided about which way to go with that. MoFi mania has me considering the 2016 Mobile Fidelity Gain 2 release, but for a lot less mula I've heard good things about the 2012 mono reissue mastered by Kevin Gray. Anyone have experience with both and care to offer an opinion?

Here's the 2012 listing. I guess it was a limited/numbered RSD release, then reissued un-numbered (the included link):
I have the Mono, it sounds great. A nice cheaper alternative to the MoFi

I'm thinking about upgrading my copy of Cheap Thrills and undecided about which way to go with that. MoFi mania has me considering the 2016 Mobile Fidelity Gain 2 release, but for a lot less mula I've heard good things about the 2012 mono reissue mastered by Kevin Gray. Anyone have experience with both and care to offer an opinion?

Here's the 2012 listing. I guess it was a limited/numbered RSD release, then reissued un-numbered (the included link):
Yeah I was meaning to answer this. I have the Mofi. It's nice, but it's not one of those "holy crap" pressings. It's a grimy record and it's not particularly... dynamic in terms of the presentation. The Mofi is probably the best it can sound. But I bet the mono is more than good enough for this album for a fraction of the cost. Instead, go get the Nilsson Schmillson or Withers at Carnegie (if you don't already have them).

I have the mono and really like it. Much much much better than the original stereo I had. Opted for this over the mofi.

Yeah I was meaning to answer this. I have the Mofi. It's nice, but it's not one of those "holy crap" pressings. It's a grimy record and it's not particularly... dynamic in terms of the presentation. The Mofi is probably the best it can sound. But I bet the mono is more than good enough for this album for a fraction of the cost. Instead, go get the Nilsson Schmillson or Withers at Carnegie (if you don't already have them).
Withers at Carnegie MFSL is straight fire. Must own record.

Makes sense. I actually have a clean original that sounds pretty good, but I'm guessing you're right about the mono sounding more than good enough. i already have the Nilsson MoFi, but only an MOV of Withers. :D Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Back in stock

The whole audiophile pricing is just insane with people going fomo crazy like they are funding their Freedom55 retirement plan.

I won a couple of auctions in late 2019 for unopened SRX titles. They were both priced a bit above original MM pricing and both were still available from MM at the. But with shipping it was actually a bit cheaper for me to buy them through eBay.

Now both are asking for stupid money on Discogs. The Kenny Dorham has one for sale at $399usd and the last few sealed sold for $150-200, but no sales since Dec 2020. Nuts

Switch from drugs to vinyl for success!

1628035478577.png

Back in stock

I always though this was a really weird one step choice. Love Paul Simon, love this album, would have probably picked 3 others that were more noteworthy for one stepping. That said if I said black mofi’s curation is nine times out of ten going white.

Back in stock

Really nice to see he didn’t try and increase the price. I’ve had a couple orders come from TheInGroove. So far so good. Packed really well. Shipped quick. No issues.

Really nice to see he didn’t try and increase the price. I’ve had a couple orders come from TheInGroove. So far so good. Packed really well. Shipped quick. No issues.
His pricing is almost always generous. He rarely ever up charges and usually gets a lot in.
I always though this was a really weird one step choice. Love Paul Simon, love this album, would have probably picked 3 others that were more noteworthy for one stepping. That said if I said black mofi’s curation is nine times out of ten going white.
I wonder if there's a reason Graceland wasn't chosen. I'm not too familiar with audiophile pressings of that one, but would be very interested in a One Step version.

there goes rhymin simon is also supposed to be an upcoming one step. i ended up trading for this one and it does sound awesome.

there goes rhymin simon is also supposed to be an upcoming one step. i ended up trading for this one and it does sound awesome.

I had 4 audiophile potential Paul Simon records in my mind ranked. This was 4 and rhyming was 3 😂

Graceland and S/T would totally be ahead of both for super duper audiophile treatment for my money!

I had 4 audiophile potential Paul Simon records in my mind ranked. This was 4 and rhyming was 3 😂

Graceland and S/T would totally be ahead of both for super duper audiophile treatment for my money!
Self-titled would be my #1. I'm pretty sure there's a DCC version of it that's supposed to be amazing but I think it's around $100 now. I'm guessing someone else holds the rights to those two and wouldn't let them go.

Self-titled would be my #1. I'm pretty sure there's a DCC version of it that's supposed to be amazing but I think it's around $100 now. I'm guessing someone else holds the rights to those two and wouldn't let them go.

Totally, we all need a one step of “Me and Julio Down By The Schoolyard”. That song was a staple in my house as a child!

He was signed to Columbia/Sony for pretty much his entire career including S&G. I’d imagine rights are less complicated there than for other artists. Im going mofi curation here again lol!

Back