Definitive Audiophile pressings

Awesome! Thanks so much for all these suggestions. The reason i wasn't specific about the title was that I know pretty much nothing about Bill Evans but he's one of my father's favorite Jazz artists and he's visiting me next month and I wanted to have a couple of good quality Evans albums on hand to play for him. I grabbed the OJC pressing of Village Vanguard which appears to have good reviews. I want Montreux as well so I'm going to see if I can find the AP of that one up here. Unfortunately can't order from MD due to shipping costs. The Pure Pleasure of Montreux seems to be OOS and I couldn't find an OJC either. So perhaps the AP 45... Cheers!
Try to track down that Cannonball and Evans album I mentioned. It's really good.

I have most. I missed out on Ronnie Scotts as I had on pre-order from our friend in the north & it didn't come through. I also don't have the smile with your heart release.

Not Bill Evans, but an historic Resonance release where the sound is also fantastic, great set

Completely agree, love that set!
Awesome! Thanks so much for all these suggestions. The reason i wasn't specific about the title was that I know pretty much nothing about Bill Evans but he's one of my father's favorite Jazz artists and he's visiting me next month and I wanted to have a couple of good quality Evans albums on hand to play for him. I grabbed the OJC pressing of Village Vanguard which appears to have good reviews. I want Montreux as well so I'm going to see if I can find the AP of that one up here. Unfortunately can't order from MD due to shipping costs. The Pure Pleasure of Montreux seems to be OOS and I couldn't find an OJC either. So perhaps the AP 45... Cheers!
If you are relatively new to Evans then I thoroughly recommend 'Sunday at the Village Vanguard'. It's my favourite album of his and really shows off the dynamic the trio had together, its almost symbiotic. Scott LaFaro is amazing on it as well and it was one of his last recording sessions, he died a few weeks later.

Came here to post this one for @Turbo . Just saw someone elsewhere saying that the Abbey Road is better than the MoFi.

I actually had that in my hands at my local more than once. Are those now out of print too? They seem to be going for a decent amount (referring to the black vinyl version). Will keep an eye out though.

Completely agree, love that set!

If you are relatively new to Evans then I thoroughly recommend 'Sunday at the Village Vanguard'. It's my favourite album of his and really shows off the dynamic the trio had together, its almost symbiotic. Scott LaFaro is amazing on it as well and it was one of his last recording sessions, he died a few weeks later.
Yep that's actually the first one I bought. I grabbed the OJC RTI repress for like $30. Who knows but it should sound pretty good. Then I shelled out for the AP 45 of Montreux. I know it's not his most famous album by any stretch but from what I've read it's pretty highly respected.

I have most. I missed out on Ronnie Scotts as I had on pre-order from our friend in the north & it didn't come through. I also don't have the smile with your heart release.

Not Bill Evans, but an historic Resonance release where the sound is also fantastic, great set

I really should pick up that set. I’ve only heard great things about it.

This, from the latest Mojo, may be of interest too

20210730_221255.jpg

Oh dear god...

Can you let me know if you hear back from them? I wasn't planning on going down the One-Step route again but this is an album that I have been meaning to upgrade.

'Thank you for your email, Andrew. No problem, please feel free to call our sales team at 1-800-449-8333 (sales) to place an order for the titles. I can also add to an existing order if you have one in our system?'

Do you know a cheap way of calling America?

'Thank you for your email, Andrew. No problem, please feel free to call our sales team at 1-800-449-8333 (sales) to place an order for the titles. I can also add to an existing order if you have one in our system?'

Do you know a cheap way of calling America?
Oh my god, for the first time ever I can finally say this... "I DO NOT NEED THIS ONE STEP, I ALREADY OWN THE MUSIC MATTERS BOOM BOOM PRESSING."

As the kids would say "Yaz Queen!".

I'm assuming that's what the kids would say.
If I had kids I'm pretty sure this is what they'd say.
Where's Nathan to confirm this is what the kids would say.

Last edited:
Oh my god, for the first time ever I can finally say this... "I DO NOT NEED THIS ONE STEP, I ALREADY OWN THE MUSIC MATTERS BOOM BOOM PRESSING."

As the kids would say "Yaz Queen!".

I'm assuming that's what the kids would say. If I had kids I'm pretty sure this is what they'd say. Where's Nathan to confirm this is what the kids would say.

I have no music matters titles, I can't say I need this, I have a bunch of pressings, but I do sort of need this. It's definitely a favourite. (I would love the music matters version)

Found a copy of the all-analog, Bernie Grundman-mastered Blood Sugar Sex Magik at Barnes & Noble today while browsing, had to pick it up considering the hype it has gotten online lately. Does not disappoint.
Looking at my copy, I have the 2012 one pressed by Record Industry: Red Hot Chili Peppers – Blood Sugar Sex Magik (2012, 180g, Vinyl)

There’s also a reissue from the same year with Chris Bellman’s initials in the deadwax and supposedly a different cut to the one I have. There’s also the BG one from recent years. Can anyone make sense as to what the best sounding one is?

Looking at my copy, I have the 2012 one pressed by Record Industry: Red Hot Chili Peppers – Blood Sugar Sex Magik (2012, 180g, Vinyl)

There’s also a reissue from the same year with Chris Bellman’s initials in the deadwax and supposedly a different cut to the one I have. There’s also the BG one from recent years. Can anyone make sense as to what the best sounding one is?

The one you linked to his great. I haven't heard the BF or CB cuts, but I don't see them being any better.

Found a copy of the all-analog, Bernie Grundman-mastered Blood Sugar Sex Magik at Barnes & Noble today while browsing, had to pick it up considering the hype it has gotten online lately. Does not disappoint.
What’s the link on that one? I’ve been meaning to grab this ;)

The one you linked to his great. I haven't heard the BF or CB cuts, but I don't see them being any better.
Yeah I threw it on this afternoon after not playing it in a long while and it does sound great. I remember it sounded quite bright and sibilant when I first bought it many years ago but playing it with my AT-VM540 ML it sounds perfect. No sibilance at all. “I Could Have Lied” sounds so good. So does Flea’s bass in all of the songs.

Oh dear god...

Can you let me know if you hear back from them? I wasn't planning on going down the One-Step route again but this is an album that I have been meaning to upgrade.
Hungover today, decided to add £5 credit to my Skype account and call up Music Direct, very helpful. Said the warehouse manger will get in touch about shipping when they are ready.

I should have asked what else they have coming up

Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 17.20.27.png

My local just acquired a nice collection with lots of well taken care of albums including some Audiophile releases. Most were not really up my ally but I was able to acquire some very well taken care of original pressings of Neil Young’s Time Fades Away and Bonnie Raitt’s Streetlights. They sound like they were never played. I also managed to grab one Audiophile Reissue that kinda blew me away, 2009 reissue of David Crosby’s Is Only I could Remember My Name. The album was pressed at RTI by Classic Records (the label seems to be defunct now unfortunately) and cut by Bernie Grundman.

There appears to be a few other HQ options, there is a Rhino reissue cut by Chris Bellman and pressed at Pallas sounds promising. So does the Bernie cut 45 rpm version (but that one is going for over $200 on average). Regardless this Classic Records pressing sounds fantastic and might be hard to top (for a reasonable price).

My local just acquired a nice collection with lots of well taken care of albums including some Audiophile releases. Most were not really up my ally but I was able to acquire some very well taken care of original pressings of Neil Young’s Time Fades Away and Bonnie Raitt’s Streetlights. They sound like they were never played. I also managed to grab one Audiophile Reissue that kinda blew me away, 2009 reissue of David Crosby’s Is Only I could Remember My Name. The album was pressed at RTI by Classic Records (the label seems to be defunct now unfortunately) and cut by Bernie Grundman.

There appears to be a few other HQ options, there is a Rhino reissue cut by Chris Bellman and pressed at Pallas sounds promising. So does the Bernie cut 45 rpm version (but that one is going for over $200 on average). Regardless this Classic Records pressing sounds fantastic and might be hard to top (for a reasonable price).
Nice grabs! I ended up preordering the MoFi SuperVinyl of this by calling Music Direct, which you can now do by the way.

Back