Definitive Audiophile pressings

Get the 1984 OJC of Sunday at Village Vanguard if you can find it: Bill Evans Trio Featuring Scott La Faro – Sunday At The Village Vanguard (1984, Vinyl)

They usually pop up on Discogs or Ebay for about 40-50 bucks.

These may not be as good (I don't have anything else to compare) but do sound fantastic, OJC issues pressed at RTI, I picked them up new about a year or so ago, they can be had real cheap.

I'd guess it's not coming back but as you said...who knows. I haven't seen anything about the Stevies or Echo and the Bunnymen coming back either and those are silver labels. I just saw a copy of Kick sell for $110 or so on ebay.

It’s going for crazy prices considering this was the 2nd tier series.

maybe this (I've not heard it yet)

The Bill Evans stuff on Resonance Records are all fantastic BUT most of them use amateur tapes as the source. So whilst the music is almost always fantastic, the audio quality isn't always top-notch. Best to go into them knowing they are historic amateur set-ups really. Saying that they really are great sets and the booklets alone are worth reading, before we enen discuss the superb sessions! The ones I have are:

p.s. @Andy I know you are most likely aware of this, just thought it best to share with those that go into it thinking they are AAA-studio quality recordings.

The Bill Evans stuff on Resonance Records are all fantastic BUT most of them use amateur tapes as the source. So whilst the music is almost always fantastic, the audio quality isn't always top-notch. Best to go into them knowing they are historic amateur set-ups really. Saying that they really are great sets and the booklets alone are worth reading, before we enen discuss the superb sessions! The ones I have are:

I have most. I missed out on Ronnie Scotts as I had on pre-order from our friend in the north & it didn't come through. I also don't have the smile with your heart release.

Not Bill Evans, but an historic Resonance release where the sound is also fantastic, great set

This session is often overlooked, but it's great and a NM 1976 Fantasy pressing should be quite affordable.

The Bill Evans Trio - Since We Met

Url: The Bill Evans Trio – Since We Met (1976, Vinyl)

There is also a MOV pressing, but I went with a clean Japanese version. Also highly recommended session from later in his career.

Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring

Url: Bill Evans – You Must Believe In Spring (1981, Vinyl)

There's an Analogue Productions pressing of this, but I cannot afford that. I have an OJC pressing and like it a lot.

Cannonball Adderley With Bill Evans - Know What I Mean?

Url: Cannonball Adderley With Bill Evans – Know What I Mean? (1984, Pitman Pressing, Vinyl)

Analogue Production pressing at 33 rpm, totally worth the $30.

Bill Evans - At The Montreux Jazz Festival

Url: Bill Evans – At The Montreux Jazz Festival (2019, 200 Gram, Vinyl)

OJC pressing and one of the best sounding records in my collection. Highly recommended, great value for the money. Good Discoga reviews as well.

Bill Evans Trio* - Waltz For Debby

Url: Bill Evans Trio – Waltz For Debby (2011, Vinyl)

Also the two new Bill Evans Trio Verve Series releases from AP are likely to be good, '64 and '65. And almost all the RSD live show releases as of late, except Ronnie Scotts
Awesome! Thanks so much for all these suggestions. The reason i wasn't specific about the title was that I know pretty much nothing about Bill Evans but he's one of my father's favorite Jazz artists and he's visiting me next month and I wanted to have a couple of good quality Evans albums on hand to play for him. I grabbed the OJC pressing of Village Vanguard which appears to have good reviews. I want Montreux as well so I'm going to see if I can find the AP of that one up here. Unfortunately can't order from MD due to shipping costs. The Pure Pleasure of Montreux seems to be OOS and I couldn't find an OJC either. So perhaps the AP 45... Cheers!

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks so much for all these suggestions. The reason i wasn't specific about the title was that I know pretty much nothing about Bill Evans but he's one of my father's favorite Jazz artists and he's visiting me next month and I reacted to have a couple of Good quality Evans albums on hand to play for him. I grabbed the OJC pressing of Village Vanguard which appears to have good reviews. I want Montreux as well so I'm going to see if I can find the AP of that one up here. Unfortunately can't order from MD due to shipping costs. The Pure Pleasure of Montreux seems to be OOS and I couldn't find an OJC either. So perhaps the AP 45... Cheers!
@FatherMather will be visiting then?

Any chance the silver series INXS Kick gets repressed? Have a couple silver series (Yaz and B-52's) and they're fantastic. Want a copy of Kick in my collection and the silver series would be ideal (but don't look at what the 2011 MOFI press goes for).

Thought I'd ask because some of the Silver Series stuff seems to keep coming back, but I guess this one is wishful thinking?
I have this recent reissue and it sounds fantastic

There’s also a black vinyl version that’s about half the price of the red.

I also have the silver label version of X and just saw how expensive that’s gotten. Woof.

Awesome! Thanks so much for all these suggestions. The reason i wasn't specific about the title was that I know pretty much nothing about Bill Evans but he's one of my father's favorite Jazz artists and he's visiting me next month and I reacted to have a couple of Good quality Evans albums on hand to play for him. I grabbed the OJC pressing of Village Vanguard which appears to have good reviews. I want Montreux as well so I'm going to see if I can find the AP of that one up here. Unfortunately can't order from MD due to shipping costs. The Pure Pleasure of Montreux seems to be OOS and I couldn't find an OJC either. So perhaps the AP 45... Cheers!
Look for the Speakers Corner of Montreaux. It's solid.

I have this recent reissue and it sounds fantastic

There’s also a black vinyl version that’s about half the price of the red.

I also have the silver label version of X and just saw how expensive that’s gotten. Woof.
Came here to post this one for @Turbo . Just saw someone elsewhere saying that the Abbey Road is better than the MoFi.

Look for the Speakers Corner of Montreaux. It's solid.
Sorry, that's the one I meant, not Pure Pleasure. I love SC but it appears to be OOS pretty much everywhere I normally look. I ordered the AP 45 of it.

Back