Definitive Audiophile pressings

For bookends and bridge I have these two MOV, both have RKS Sterling in the grooves so smiffy mastered. I like them both. Being MOV obviously can’t say one way or another whether digital was involved.

Those S&G sundazed are digital transfers done by Bob Irwin, doesn't say anything in that Fremer link about them being AAA. The only Sundazed albums that I know for sure are AAA are the Byrds catalog and maybe one or two more. I believe Irwin said the Phil Spector a Christmas Gift Sundazed was AAA. I think they did a AAA Aretha too but idr.

If you want a great sounding S&G go get a cleanish pressing from the 60s, they sound great. Otherwise your best bet is a Mofi.
I think I am misunderstanding AAA. The article includes a correction by Fremer and a statement from Sundazed's Bob Irwin that their S&G reissues were sourced from original album masters that were "played back and digitized." So does that mean ADA?

I think I am misunderstanding AAA. The article includes a correction by Fremer and a statement from Sundazed's Bob Irwin that their S&G reissues were sourced from original album masters that were "played back and digitized." So does that mean ADA?

Likely AAD or ADD. ADA is a unicorn because it’s really eccentric to master analogue after mixing digital, if that’s even possible.

This was discussed in a recent Discogs thread. It seems the original SPARS code is being used differently for today's "Audiophile" vinyl releases.

The three letters in a SPARS code refer to the recording, mixing and mastering.

Today it seems that they use it to refer to the source material (original master tape), their (re)mastering process and the playback medium (vinyl record).

This isn't a true SPARS code. As one discogs user put it "It's a clever hijack of a known code to market their stuff. It's not SPARS, it's letters trying to ape SPARS."

This was discussed in a recent Discogs thread. It seems the original SPARS code is being used differently for today's "Audiophile" vinyl releases.

The three letters in a SPARS code refer to the recording, mixing and mastering.

Today it seems that they use it to refer to the source material (original master tape), their (re)mastering process and the playback medium (vinyl record).

This isn't a true SPARS code. As one discogs user put it "It's a clever hijack of a known code to market their stuff. It's not SPARS, it's letters trying to ape SPARS."
Right. And as we all know, "sourced from original album masters" does not mean that it was remastered with analogue. The vagueness of all of these companies is pretty frustrating but I have been mostly impressed with the Sundaze stuff I have heard even if it's not AAA.

even if it's not AAA
While I understand and respect the AAA aspect, there have been plenty of non-AAA pressings that sound more than "audiophile" or at the bare minimum above average ;)

I'm on board for the best pressing, but sometimes it's not attached to the usual suspects, it's just a well mastered album from a source.

Right. And as we all know, "sourced from original album masters" does not mean that it was remastered with analogue. The vagueness of all of these companies is pretty frustrating but I have been mostly impressed with the Sundaze stuff I have heard even if it's not AAA.
I remember reading several reports of weird splicing of different mixes and audible tape drops with some of their stuff on hoffman years ago, which is why I try to do my due diligence researching individual Sundazed titles if I want them. Couldn't find that discussion/thread last time I looked though.

While I understand and respect the AAA aspect, there have been plenty of non-AAA pressings that sound more than "audiophile" or at the bare minimum above average ;)

I'm on board for the best pressing, but sometimes it's not attached to the usual suspects, it's just a well mastered album from a source.
Definitely agree. I'm not anti-pressings that contain a digital step. I have a decent amount of pressings that aren't AAA that still sound awesome. Been trying to pick and choose which titles to have digitally in high res vs vinyl.

I was actually looking this week for the best pressing of those albums! Aaaaand those MOVs are nowhere to be found up here.. DAMMIT CANADA

Ditto, I have a hell of a time finding them myself.

I think for some of these things that it’s down to rights. We never see the Sundazed of either Dylan or S&G over here either. Could well be that they’re licensed just for their territory. That said I think they’re out of print because they were abundant in my Local a few years back but now it just seems to be standard Columbia presses with the “We Are Vinyl” sticker. Might have to hit cogs soon to see if I can mop up the 3 I don’t have before they get expensive.

Back