Definitive Audiophile pressings

It all depends on the mastering Nathan. There’s no guarantee with rhino but we’ve given them praise quite often because they’re quite good at using named mastering engineers like big Kev, the Hoff, and Bellers. I also have some rhino releases that were in house mastered by the pressing plant and there’s more variance in the quality there. So I suppose my advice would be see who mastered it first on cogs.
I don’t know who remastered the Chaka Khan, looking at the Discogs page and I’m not sure I understand who mastered the George Benson pressing, as Doug Stax (mastering engineer for Breezin’) passed away in 2015...

Sheila E was cut and remastered by Chris Bellman and the review on Discogs is very positive, so I’m sure that Rhino Black pressing will sound stellar! I love Prince, and I love this Sheila E album Prince had a heavy hand in creating! I’m so happy that The Glamorous Life got a quality reissue! 🙏

I don’t know who remastered the Chaka Khan, looking at the Discogs page and I’m not sure I understand who mastered the George Benson pressing, as Doug Stax (mastering engineer for Breezin’) passed away in 2015...

Sheila E was cut and remastered by Chris Bellman and the review on Discogs is very positive, so I’m sure that Rhino Black pressing will sound stellar! I love Prince, and I love this Sheila E album Prince had a heavy hand in creating! I’m so happy that The Glamorous Life got a quality reissue! 🙏
As @Joe Mac said, the frustrating thing about Rhino is they almost never share what the source or who cut it is, so you don’t know until you buy it or someone else does and puts up the dead wax info on discogs or Hoffman (or here!). I had no idea KG did the Aretha until people here posted it.

they also don’t always use new remasters. So the Benson could still be a Doug Sax cut. One of the AS series pressing was a George Marino cut and he passed away awhile ago. Rhino often reuses plates for their reissue series like Rocktober or SYEOR especially if they did a reissue already.

people seem upset about the Chaka track listing as it omitted a lot of songs I guess? Not too familiar with the album but people were hoping for an expanded version I guess.

overall I’d say rhino is a fairly safe bet with their reissue campaigns. There are lots of good ones but I usually wait for a review or pressing info to come in on them before buying.

As @Joe Mac said, the frustrating thing about Rhino is they almost never share what the source or who cut it is, so you don’t know until you buy it or someone else does and puts up the dead wax info on discogs or Hoffman (or here!). I had no idea KG did the Aretha until people here posted it.

they also don’t always use new remasters. So the Benson could still be a Doug Sax cut. One of the AS series pressing was a George Marino cut and he passed away awhile ago. Rhino often reuses plates for their reissue series like Rocktober or SYEOR especially if they did a reissue already.
A lot of times people on Discogs just copy other releases to create new ones, or just go off the reused cover art, so since those are missing deadwax info, I wouldn't trust it, personally.

Doug Sax @ TML is on the back of the jacket on the original release, so I would say unlikely at best for the Benson.

If I had any I would put the deadwax in for you @NathanRicaud, but I only ordered the three that seem more popular around here.

A lot of times people on Discogs just copy other releases to create new ones, or just go off the reused cover art, so since those are missing deadwax info, I wouldn't trust it, personally.

Doug Sax @ TML is on the back of the jacket on the original release, so I would say unlikely at best for the Benson.

If I had any I would put the deadwax in for you @NathanRicaud, but I only ordered the three that seem more popular around here.
Yea--I should specify--I look specifically at the notes to see if someone has put deadwax info. You're right--people just copy the other info from earlier releases. If Doug Sax mastered the original, they will copy that in credits but it doesn't mean Sax cut this reissue.

I looked around and can't find anything about who cut Benson or Chaka but if I see any info @NathanRicaud i'll let ya know!

My Curtis and Aretha records just arrived from Zia today. Woo!

I don't know this album, it's going to have to go on the list. I do have the album with Love Bazaar on, Love Bazaar is most definitely a stone cold classic.

I'll be receiving the PE RSD tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Although I'm kinda stunned that She Watch Channel Zero?! isn't on it. That's one of my favs

They'll just have to do a quality press of It Takes a Nation

Any of your crazy addicts have the IR pressing of billy squier’s don’t say no? I’m assuming it sounds phenomenal but just wanted to double check before pursuing ;)

The Roots press does appear to be the same as the box set. I think the America Today sounded even better, but who knows if it was the recording or the recent KG hype bias. I am happy with both.
I didn't think America Today was in the Curtis box set? Unless I'm thinking of something else.

And have NO clue what you're talking about with KG bias........o_O

The Roots press does appear to be the same as the box set. I think the America Today sounded even better, but who knows if it was the recording or the recent KG hype bias. I am happy with both.
Ahh, okay I thought it was actually the album "Curtis". America Today isn't in the set I have.

I didn't think America Today was in the Curtis box set? Unless I'm thinking of something else.

And have NO clue what you're talking about with KG bias........o_O
No, you're right, I figured @Mather was thinking of Roots, since it was also a part of this reissue series as well as the box, so I figured I'd describe both.

Edit: I realize how what I wrote was unclear. I was saying a casual comparison of the Roots vs America Today, I think I thought America Today sounded better, but who knows exactly why.

DAMN IT @MikeH, this is all your fault................

giphy.gif

Back