Definitive Audiophile pressings

Speaking of Which, The Neil Young Greatest Hits from 2004 is a one step. Sounds real good !
Is that the one pressed at Pallas? That one is on my wantlist. Supposedly it has a repress incoming if this is the one you're referring to:

Is that the one pressed at Pallas? That one is on my wantlist. Supposedly it has a repress incoming if this is the one you're referring to:
Is this mono? And does MD charge on shipment?

Have any internationals ordered direct from Mobile Fidelity before?

I'm not planning on it anytime soon but just checking options in case a one-step pops up that I'm interested in. Honestly, for $125 (around £90) I would seriously consider the Carol King, but postage is $50 extra. This still takes it to a figure that is less than anywhere I have seen in the UK, so for future reference it sounds like ordering direct is my cheapest bet?
Add import duty to that :(

Cheers, looks to be the best option really then. I will bear it in mind if any pop up that I fancy the look of.
That would be @Andy , he can weigh in.
Didn't somebody say Deep Discount has VERY cheap shipping internationally? Not sure if they carry the One Steps.

If you order direct from Mobile Fidelity or Music Direct they are way more inclined to help you if something goes wrong with your purchase or if the album arrives damaged or discs are damaged. If you buy it anywhere else, they pretty much shrug and say sorry not sorry...

Deep Discount is definitely cheap shipping & I haven't had any issues with records received, but they have a tendency of not fulfilling some pre-orders. I pre-ordered the Mingus One Step, probably about a year ago from them & never got a copy (thanks to @Mr Moustache for sorting me out with disc1). Buy the time they cancelled It was to late to pick up anywhere. Pre-orders & back orders are a bit of a gamble with Deep Discount.

Music Direct were very quick, but they are pretty mixed from an international CS front. A lot of the records I have received have been dinged (not packaged as well as they suggest). I had a warp on a record & they wanted me to post back & they would only replace if I placed another order, it would have probably cost more than the value of the record in the end. On a positive note, they did replace one record that had a major defect & gave me a nominal discount on a future order for all the dings. (I've had a few deliveries & none without issue from Music Direct, probably just a bit of Mathers luck rubbing off on me)

I got Blood on the tracks One Step, at a reasonable price from Amazon Japan, but it has a weird warp & I couldn't get it replaced, might be somewhere else to look though.

If I see a One Step that I really want (don't think I'll get any of the advertised ones), I'll probably go direct to MoFi next time. Hopefully they would be able to sort out any actual vinyl defects. I would worry that with anyone else you either live with what they sent or go without the record.

Add import duty to that :(

Thanks to Brexit, the UK doesn't get charged Import duty anymore on orders with value less than £135. We do get a 20% VAT charge though, which Deep Discount collects at point of sale. Deep Discount are still pretty cheap.

I have an order on hold from early Jan with Acoustic Sounds, while they figure out what to do about the 20%VAT. :(

Has anyone got and recently listened to the Rhino Black reissues for Sheila E’s The Glamorous Life, Chaka Khan’s Epiphany and/or George Benson’s Breezin’? If so, how is the sound quality for those coloured pressings?

I’m guessing it’ll be audiophile quality like the Aretha Franklin ‘Young, Gifted & Black’ and Curtis Mayfield ‘There’s No Place Like America Today’. I remember people on this thread praising the Rhino Black reissues of these albums. So I wonder if the Rhino Black vinyl reissues for Sheila E., George Benson and Chaka Khan sound superb as well!?!?

Has anyone got and recently listened to the Rhino Black reissues for Sheila E’s The Glamorous Life, Chaka Khan’s Epiphany and/or George Benson’s Breezin’? If so, how is the sound quality for those coloured pressings?

I’m guessing it’ll be audiophile quality like the Aretha Franklin ‘Young, Gifted & Black’ and Curtis Mayfield ‘There’s No Place Like America Today’. I remember people on this thread praising the Rhino Black reissues of these albums. So I wonder if the Rhino Black vinyl reissues for Sheila E., George Benson and Chaka Khan sound superb as well!?!?

It all depends on the mastering Nathan. There’s no guarantee with rhino but we’ve given them praise quite often because they’re quite good at using named mastering engineers like big Kev, the Hoff, and Bellers. I also have some rhino releases that were in house mastered by the pressing plant and there’s more variance in the quality there. So I suppose my advice would be see who mastered it first on cogs.

Back