Definitive Audiophile pressings

No, I think I'm gonna pass. I have a clean Japanese stereo pressing. I listened to that one this morning as well, and it's quite good. Though, I think I prefer the ORG. The music sounded more robust, whereas the stereo JP version felt thinner. Likely a result of spacing of musicians due to mono vs. stereo.

I'm sure the Rhino 33 will be phenomenal. Seems like the series has received a lot of praise, though I don't own any of their Hi-Fi releases. Ole is such a great record.
Yeah you are missing out on some good ones in this series but I definitely understand cutting off the duplicates. There is a lot of choices on the market these days.

Y'all think Ole will make it to next month? I'm at budget for the month 😭
I’d be very surprised if it’s not around next month, and, even if it’s sold out, resale prices won’t be too high as early as next month.

It’s probably the most popular title of the RHF jazz tittles, and I think 33rpm will motivate people (including me who has resisted the 45), but it also has a bunch of reissues, including as someone mentioned, the upcoming Atlantic 45rpm. Given how those Atlantic titles seem to be selling, there is still robust demand for 45rpm releases

It may stick around. AP is releasing a 45 rpm version soon, no? Maybe that'll keep some folks from buying the Rhino

The thing is, on the 45 RPM versions they cut the opening track into 2 sides and put a fade out/fade in at the end of side A and beginning of side B, which is pretty lame. The 33 version is very exciting because we get Ole not broken in half finally

Violent Femmes update! Email from Craft:

Hi Mitch,

Thanks so much for your patience, and apologies it took a moment for us to get to the bottom of what happened here.

We did find out that the pressing plant inadvertently used the incorrect parts for the original album in the box set (Disc 1). While the intention was to use the Kevin Gray-cut masters (as per the rest of the set), they instead used a previous set of lacquers. We are working with the plant to press up new copies of Disc 1 using the Kevin Gray master and will get a fresh copy out to you as soon as we have that in-hand. We estimate the timing for this to be in 4-6 weeks and can send you confirmation once your new disc ships.

We'd also like to extend a 40% discount for your next Craft purchase which will be valid against any item (vinyl, box set, merch) on our store through June 2024. Your unique code is here:

Our sincere apologies again.”

No idea how that’s going to work if you didn’t order from Craft though. More to come.
When they had to replace one of the Bowie albums from the box sets, you went to a website to register for a copy. You had a limited amount of time (30 days from announcement) to register but didn’t need any proof of purchase.

I’m curious if the KG remaster is just the same plates they used here or another new remaster:

https://www.discogs.com/release/17800651-Violent-Femmes-Violent-Femmes

And I wonder if in any case that previous KG is AAA, I bet it is
I bought it shortly after the box because I was so mad it didn’t include his mastering for the studio album. It’s absolutely fantastic and just as good (I’d say it’s a tie) with my original copy. I’d bet it’s AAA too but I’m not 100% sure.

I bought it shortly after the box because I was so mad it didn’t include his mastering for the studio album. It’s absolutely fantastic and just as good (I’d say it’s a tie) with my original copy. I’d bet it’s AAA too but I’m not 100% sure.
What is the KG version going for these days?

Violent Femmes update! Email from Craft:

Hi Mitch,

Thanks so much for your patience, and apologies it took a moment for us to get to the bottom of what happened here.

We did find out that the pressing plant inadvertently used the incorrect parts for the original album in the box set (Disc 1). While the intention was to use the Kevin Gray-cut masters (as per the rest of the set), they instead used a previous set of lacquers. We are working with the plant to press up new copies of Disc 1 using the Kevin Gray master and will get a fresh copy out to you as soon as we have that in-hand. We estimate the timing for this to be in 4-6 weeks and can send you confirmation once your new disc ships.

We'd also like to extend a 40% discount for your next Craft purchase which will be valid against any item (vinyl, box set, merch) on our store through June 2024. Your unique code is here:

Our sincere apologies again.”
You forgot to include the unique code 😉

If anyone is on the fence about Coltrane - Olé or Ornette - Change of the Century, pull the trigger. Not trying to initiate FOMO, but i was reluctant about Ornette bc I thought I had enough Ornette. But the positive comments here and on Discogs, plus the ability to get free shipping by adding it, put me over the edge, and I’m really glad I did. It’s phenomenal. It drives hard and could really be good in mono. But the stereo is great with, at least as far as I can tell, bass and drums roughly in the middle. A horn on each side.

If anyone is on the fence about Coltrane - Olé or Ornette - Change of the Century, pull the trigger. Not trying to initiate FOMO, but i was reluctant about Ornette bc I thought I had enough Ornette. But the positive comments here and on Discogs, plus the ability to get free shipping by adding it, put me over the edge, and I’m really glad I did. It’s phenomenal. It drives hard and could really be good in mono. But the stereo is great with, at least as far as I can tell, bass and drums roughly in the middle. A horn on each side.
I got Ole but haven’t had a chance to spin yet. My order with ole tutu and jaco came through from the sale yesterday. All three got cleaned today. Ornette is really fantastic

I received Ole today with no issues. I guess it's technically Ole Coltrane. I just realized this looking on cogs.

It sounds really good overall. Haven't really listened to the mono 45 in awhile to comment on differences.

Just one thought today on the RHF, the side 2 is a little better sounding than the Ole on side 1.
Maybe different sessions, setups or something.
Side 2 really brings out McCoy's keys for example.
Overall, very happy to get a clean 33 on this title.

I also splurged for Tutu.
The tape box is marked 2 track.
Kind of makes me wonder what is going on with this in '86.
The insert didn't really address the recording equipment.

It sounds absolutely excellent SQ wise.
Music will not be for everyone, which is understandable.
I just can't turn my nose up to any Miles.

Back