Definitive Audiophile pressings

No doubt – but if you sleep, there are less than 24 hours in a day! And surely they have families and other interests? Perhaps not...
He cut something like 300 records last year. Can do two a day. Doesn’t ever work on Fridays due to not wanting lacquers to sit there over the weekend without being plated. Doesn’t sound too hectic!

I also have to wonder how much work it actually is. Listen to the album to tweak whatever levels you think need tweaking. Run the tape with the lathe. Listen to the lathe cut (I assume). Send to metalwork. Listen to test press when it comes back. Rinse repeat. (I also assume this is a best case scenario).
Right. And it comes down to how much time the label is willing to contract.

They don't listen to the lacquers, that isn't possible, so once the levels are set, the lathe gets going and cuts the lacquer.

Mastering guys generally don't get TP's. Those go to the client, and presumably in the case of current recordings the artist, who might listen and approve or send back to the mastering studio if not.

Should have yielded to you, Mike - knew you'd know! Haha
In my mind, I thought it would take a few days to cut a record but I guess it makes sense that it can be done in a few hours especially when you have his experience. Most albums are under 40 min so even if you listen to the master and listen to an OG pressing that’s only an hour and a half or so. And you cut in real-time so that’s another 40 min. If you have the cutting notes too as they often do that likely saves time too.

BG tube lathe 🔥

I can't imagine the demand Bernie & Chris and Cohearant have right now. They've set themselves a clear cut above, especially with AAA titles. The market for AAA is all time now, too. I know KG has an apprentice, hopefully Grundman does, too!
Hopefully, I heard Bernies hearing aids have a digital step 😂

Back