Definitive Audiophile pressings

@zdkaiser and whoever else would like to know:
some info on the jackpot reissues that are upcoming. Bill Evans was pressed at Cascade. Mel Brown pressed at Kindercore....not familiar with either of these plants
Kindercore is based out of Athens, GA I believe, and they are alright. New West, PIAPTK, and Widespread Panic use them regularly to press stuff. I have never had an issue with anything I have purchased that was pressed there but it’s also not an audiophile operation by any stretch.

@zdkaiser and whoever else would like to know:
some info on the jackpot reissues that are upcoming. Bill Evans was pressed at Cascade. Mel Brown pressed at Kindercore....not familiar with either of these plants
Cascade are in Milwaukie, OR. I know I have at least a handful of things pressed there, but nothing immediately comes to mind.
All of the Cairo Soul Comps are pressed at Cascade, along with many of the Mississippi Records releases. On the whole, I would say they are decent but certainly nothing special.

As for a comment on some of these pressing plants mentioned -

Cascade is meh...what I have from them isn't good or bad.

Kindercore wasn't good - and they ousted the original owners - and it is now called Classic City Vinyl Works. The previous owner was kinda of a douchbag, as they tried to do some shit on Discogs. I have quite a few releases and test pressings from them and they are just not great pressings.

Not sure if things have gotten better with new ownership.

This is a good read on it - The end of Kindercore Vinyl: Turmoil and change at local record pressing plant

IMO, these and other "new" pressing plants all have the same issue - in that these new pressing plant machines just don't make great sounding records. Or they are missing an engineer that can tweak them to produce a great sounding record. They seem to just churn out crap because of shareholders rather than release a good product.

Last edited:
wonder if optimal has a tiered system like GZ apparently does. The deutsche grammaphon pressings were done at optimal I think and they are incredible
I think it's just sheer volume, and luck of the draw as a result. For instance, spinning the Night Dreamer classic right now, pressed in the same timeframe presumably, and it is absolutely f'n perfect.

I can't imagine the demand Bernie & Chris and Cohearant have right now. They've set themselves a clear cut above, especially with AAA titles. The market for AAA is all time now, too. I know KG has an apprentice, hopefully Grundman does, too!
You have to think that in *some* cases, the mystery apprentices are doing much of the work, but those eye-catching names are placed on the hype stickers. Otherwise, how are these guys even sleeping?

You have to think that in *some* cases, the mystery apprentices are doing much of the work, but those eye-catching names are placed on the hype stickers. Otherwise, how are these guys even sleeping?
Well, they're all still signing the deadwax! Kevin has said he cuts two records a day, I think it's 4 or 5 days a week? Takes like a week off a year or something.

I think it's just sheer volume, and luck of the draw as a result. For instance, spinning the Night Dreamer classic right now, pressed in the same timeframe presumably, and it is absolutely f'n perfect.
We have picked a very finicky hobby. Not every piece of vinyl is going to be perfect and short of play testing every piece of vinyl that comes off the press there are no QC measures that will catch every issue. The difference is how consistent the issues are. GZ seems to be getting better and optimal seems solid. Even RTI and QRP send out a few duds here and there.

I can't imagine the demand Bernie & Chris and Cohearant have right now. They've set themselves a clear cut above, especially with AAA titles. The market for AAA is all time now, too. I know KG has an apprentice, hopefully Grundman does, too!
Yeah this is a golden era for sure. Who knows what happens in the future.
I mean Ludwig just closed shop and sold off his stuff from my understanding.

Well, they're all still signing the deadwax! Kevin has said he cuts two records a day, I think it's 4 or 5 days a week? Takes like a week off a year or something.
You’ll never work a day in your life if you do something you love.

I mean the only things that would seem like work to me are 1. You signed on to do an album it turns out you just don’t like
2. You have trouble with levels/equipment and around listen number fifty you’d like to punch Jimmy Page or whatever musician in the face.

I also have to wonder how much work it actually is. Listen to the album to tweak whatever levels you think need tweaking. Run the tape with the lathe. Listen to the lathe cut (I assume). Send to metalwork. Listen to test press when it comes back. Rinse repeat. (I also assume this is a best case scenario).
Kevin has also said (sorry I listen to a fair amount of dorky podcasts!) that it typically takes him about 4 hours to master & cut 2 lacquers (sides A & B). So that's your work day with two records a day.

He's direct monitoring while cutting, and probably not listening to test presses - the label or client does that. For BN, Don Was typically has the honor from what I understand. Might be Joe Harley on the TPs.

Kevin has also said (sorry I listen to a fair amount of dorky podcasts!) that it typically takes him about 4 hours to master & cut 2 lacquers (sides A & B). So that's your work day with two records a day.

He's direct monitoring while cutting, and probably not listening to test presses - the label or client does that. For BN, Don Was typically has the honor from what I understand. Might be Joe Harley on the TPs.
I think I would want to listen to test pressings. I’d rather know something was wrong and fix it before the client gets it.

That also sort of jibes with what I said work wise.

Back