Definitive Audiophile pressings

I'll be honest. I'm kinda test driving his but to this point it hasn't improved upon my normal cleaning cycle with the Okki and hasn't fixed any problem pressings I have so I'm holding off for now.

So fancy, but not fancy enough then?

I've been eyeing it for a while myself but the shipping is so prohibitive (I guess now Amazon has it, but it's about the same price as it was with their shipping to us). I expect it to be better than the Spin Clean I have, but I just can't justify it (so far).

So fancy, but not fancy enough then?

I've been eyeing it for a while myself but the shipping is so prohibitive (I guess now Amazon has it, but it's about the same price as it was with their shipping to us). I expect it to be better than the Spin Clean I have, but I just can't justify it (so far).

It is a big jump on the spin clean. I noticed it actually pulling quite a lot of white fluff from some of those ones when I cleaned them again which I’m guessing was fibres from the spin clean cloth.

Just to jump on the cleaning machine discussion, buying a Project VC-S2 was one of the best hobby-related decisions I have made.

90% of the records I buy are 2nd hand (or 3rd, 4th, 5th...) and typically from over 2-3 decades ago and for the most part likely never been cleaned. Even then, it opened my eyes to just how filthy new releases can be as well.

I never had a spin-clean but I believe there is a lengthy drying period, with the Project it can all be done within a few mins and into a fresh sleeve.

Just to jump on the cleaning machine discussion, buying a Project VC-S2 was one of the best hobby-related decisions I have made.

90% of the records I buy are 2nd hand (or 3rd, 4th, 5th...) and typically from over 2-3 decades ago and for the most part likely never been cleaned. Even then, it opened my eyes to just how filthy new releases can be as well.

I never had a spin-clean but I believe there is a lengthy drying period, with the Project it can all be done within a few mins and into a fresh sleeve.

It more that it’s manual so you’re hand drying them with a cloth. Also the nature of the machine and the fluid means it’s not great for cleaning if you’re just picking one up, you almost need a batch to make it worthwhile.

But yeah totally love the HumminGuru for the same reason, cleans used ones up lovely and just hit a button and leave it and come back to it cleaned.

If I was buying lots of dirty 2nd hand records still, I'd go the vacuum cleaner route, or do a first pass on a vacuum machine then 2nd pass on ultrasonic.

With the ultrasonic, it's kinda crazy to see how much filth goes into the tank after a clean, even with brand new records. It's not gonna fix a messed up pressing, but I have had it definitely improve the sound on some records. And it's so much easier to drop a record in and clean vs having to stand there manually for every record. I also found that my VPI cleaner was so large and heavy and I didn't have a great place to store it....so I'd have it in my closet and it was a bit of a faff to lug it out to only clean one or two albums. The HG is so light and I can store it in a kallax cube, so I just pull it out any time I get a new album and throw it in for a clean.

The HG is so light and I can store it in a kallax cube, so I just pull it out any time I get a new album and throw it in for a clean.
This is exactly what I do with my VC-S2. It just sits in the Kallax and when needed I just pull it out and plug in.

Although, I do often get comments from people asking why I have another record player tucked away, and the obligatory eye rolls when I tell them what it actually is.

I think the Guru is great. I just haven't noticed any difference vs my Okki thus far so I'm not in any hurry to spend on another machine.

Yeah I’d have been much more reluctant to buy one if I’d had a vacuum rcm. As it was I’d been kinda thinking it was time to upgrade from the spin clean anyway when the kickstarter came up.

This is exactly what I do with my VC-S2. It just sits in the Kallax and when needed I just pull it out and plug in.

Although, I do often get comments from people asking why I have another record player tucked away, and the obligatory eye rolls when I tell them what it actually is.

Hahaha! I can totally imagine the eye rolls. That’s not at all why mine is stored on a shelf in my utility room…

My wife overheard that I send warped records to people with record flatteners the other day and she made so much fun of me hahaha

Back