Definitive Audiophile pressings

I actually am not sure the KG Street Choir is AAA....can't entirely remember. I know he did digital AND Analogue cuts of Moondance and Astral Weeks. I get those cuts mixed up all the time...

People complained that they did The Cars record since it has a billion different pressings but it sold out and was excellent.
I think all the 2015 VM reissues were digital. Or at least there is nothing definitive saying they are AAA, but all sound excellent with the BoomBoom touch.

I actually am not sure the KG Street Choir is AAA....can't entirely remember. I know he did digital AND Analogue cuts of Moondance and Astral Weeks. I get those cuts mixed up all the time...

People complained that they did The Cars record since it has a billion different pressings but it sold out and was excellent.

Did he do a digital cut of Astral Weeks? The only one I’m aware of is the KPG@ATM all analog one that’s been represses a zillion times

I think all the 2015 VM reissues were digital. Or at least there is nothing definitive saying they are AAA, but all sound excellent with the BoomBoom touch.

The first cut of moondance was AAA, so was Street Choir and Astral Weeks. The recut of Moondance at Cohearant was digital.

I believe there were some EU cuts not done by Kevin though

Did he do a digital cut of Astral Weeks? The only one I’m aware of is the KPG@ATM all analog one that’s been represses a zillion times
I honestly don't remember. Maybe it's only Moondance that was done digitally and analogue. I just remember there were some that had ATM and some that had CA in the deadwax and the CA were digital. I also remember some discussion about maybe the tapes being toast on the one he recut from digital.

I suppose a lot of it is that for the kudos of a series like this you need “names”. Plus it is Rhino, not some small indie, they’re all going to be big albums that have been in print. Also it’s a run of 5000, not a full press so it’s not like they’re cannibalising the €20 one and it could largely remain the wider press of the album. The real pity for me isn't that, it is that they lost his wider catalogue so couldn’t do Tupelo Honey or St Dominick’s Preview or Into The Music which could all do with this treatment far more. With them being Sony I don’t hold out too much hope for them going forward either.
Tupelo is the big want for me. I have a copy but it's just in okay shape. And I rarely EVER see it in the wild. Think I actually got my copy in Notts if I remember correctly! I have a white label promo of St Dominicks that I grabbed at my local consignment shop but would also welcome a nice copy of that one. Maybe VMP or some other label will do a nice cut of one of them since they have a cozy relationship with Sony...

Tupelo is the big want for me. I have a copy but it's just in okay shape. And I rarely EVER see it in the wild. Think I actually got my copy in Notts if I remember correctly! I have a white label promo of St Dominicks that I grabbed at my local consignment shop but would also welcome a nice copy of that one. Maybe VMP or some other label will do a nice cut of one of them since they have a cozy relationship with Sony...

Problem with VMP is they used the 24/96 digital transfer for Veedon Fleece and it is by far my worst sounding Van record, it’s just ok whereas some of the others are outstanding.

Maybe MoFi at some point? Their proprietary DSD transfers have to be better than the Sony 24/96 and they also seem tight with Sony.

Problem with VMP is they used the 24/96 digital transfer for Veedon Fleece and it is by far my worst sounding Van record, it’s just ok whereas some of the others are outstanding.

Maybe MoFi at some point? Their proprietary DSD transfers have to be better than the Sony 24/96 and they also seem tight with Sony.
It does fit the Old White Guy curation for MoFi.... :) I imagine that since VMP uses RKS now, they'd have more access to tapes than they did when they cut Veedon.

Interesting, I see that one a lot for $10 VG+ . I think I might even have an extra copy. Great sounding record.

Edit: nope, gave my spare to my dad.

The first cut of moondance was AAA, so was Street Choir and Astral Weeks. The recut of Moondance at Cohearant was digital.

I believe there were some EU cuts not done by Kevin though

I honestly don't remember. Maybe it's only Moondance that was done digitally and analogue. I just remember there were some that had ATM and some that had CA in the deadwax and the CA were digital. I also remember some discussion about maybe the tapes being toast on the one he recut from digital.

Yes...it was me mentioning the newer CA cut on the Hoffman forums that stirred all that up.

And then I made the Discogs sub for the @CA cut -

For Moondance you want a @ATM etching for the AAA cut

Luckily it was pressed over a few years, so they aren't going for too much more than retail....as long as the sellers actually know what they have.

That being said - while I like the AAA cut, the @CA digital sounds great, too.

Last edited:
I’ve stopped buying most stuff and just put it in my want list, if it goes to a price I can pay great
I've been doing this more and more frequently as well. I support my local with the stuff I really want at time of release, anything I'm slightly on the fence about, I wait until reviews roll in, and if price comes down, I'll go for it. Largely just way too much money across the board. Even in the US - to me it's crazy to come away with 7 or 8 records for $250 now, and that's if you're buying cheaper releases!

Every shop near me has Tupelo for $25+ no matter the shape. It's by far the Van Morrison album I see the least any time I'm out at shops.

Same I lucked across a clean copy for €20 years ago and have never seen it in the flesh again since.

It and St Dominick’s Preview are the two I never see and they’re two of his best!

Same I lucked across a clean copy for €20 years ago and have never seen it in the flesh again since.

It and St Dominick’s Preview are the two I never see and they’re two of his best!
i just saw a copy of St Dominicks at my local....i'd be happy to pick you up a copy if I see it at a reasonable price and mail it to ya next time i'm in notts!

i just saw a copy of St Dominicks at my local....i'd be happy to pick you up a copy if I see it at a reasonable price and mail it to ya next time i'm in notts!

Cheers but I do have a nice copy, albeit with a dumb gold cover from some German budget release reissue series that I hate. They’re just rarely found!

I have this KPG cut of His Band And The Street Choir - and it sounds great - not sure a $60 new release would/could sound much better.

I kinda wish they'd release a new Saint Dominic's Preview

My copy of Tupelo Honey is a later reissue - I haven't spun it in a while to remember if it's good quality or not.

I have this KPG cut of His Band And The Street Choir - and it sounds great - not sure a $60 new release would/could sound much better.

I kinda wish they'd release a new Saint Dominic's Preview
that's a Sony title so hopefully somebody licenses it from em to reissue.

I like that Van Morrison cut too (been the same cut since 2008ish). It was done at KG's old studio so I could see an improvement since he's upgraded lots of stuff since then. But probably the price difference probably isn't worth it. I'm still on the fence about picking this new one up....

anybody know any rhino coupon codes? i kinda wanna grab the Aretha red and His Band...

that's a Sony title so hopefully somebody licenses it from em to reissue.

I like that Van Morrison cut too (been the same cut since 2008ish). It was done at KG's old studio so I could see an improvement since he's upgraded lots of stuff since then. But probably the price difference probably isn't worth it. I'm still on the fence about picking this new one up....

anybody know any rhino coupon codes? i kinda wanna grab the Aretha red and His Band...

Yeah I’m the same. I’d like it just because rather than for any concrete logical reason. If a code for dig appears I’ll probably get to. Already ordered the Aretha and Otis because I’m beyond help at this stage…

Back