Definitive Audiophile pressings

I mean they still sell aaa Kevin gray tip on jacket records for $25….but put an obi on it and call it high fidelity and sell it for $60. I’m sure it probably doesn’t sound much different than the last time he cut it

A little confused 🤔
Not familiar with this one

Great record. But the $15 copy I have that's also KG is also really solid....damn. Was hoping for Van Morrison but something like Tupelo Honey which I guess they no longer own...

The rinse and repeat is a little old. FFS a UHQR Love Supreme....
Like nobody likes their $20 AAA copies already.
I actually am not sure the KG Street Choir is AAA....can't entirely remember. I know he did digital AND Analogue cuts of Moondance and Astral Weeks. I get those cuts mixed up all the time...

People complained that they did The Cars record since it has a billion different pressings but it sold out and was excellent.

The rinse and repeat is a little old. FFS a UHQR Love Supreme....
Like nobody likes their $20 AAA copies already.
I do get a little bit of joy seeing the tepid response for the ALS UHQR. Chad's been real cocky lately and might be losing a step. The 2x45 price tag is cuckoo and i've seen some pretty bad reviews of some of the Steely Dan UHQRs. Seems to be putting a lot of eggs into the $150+ shipping basket

I actually am not sure the KG Street Choir is AAA....can't entirely remember. I know he did digital AND Analogue cuts of Moondance and Astral Weeks. I get those cuts mixed up all the time...

People complained that they did The Cars record since it has a billion different pressings but it sold out and was excellent.
Initial look is the same metal since 2008.
I'm sure his console upgrades will be reflected on a new cut.

Cars AAA hasn't been reissued well in ages.
KG easily cleared the mofi half speed benchmark. Wasn't a challenge really.

I do get a little bit of joy seeing the tepid response for the ALS UHQR. Chad's been real cocky lately and might be losing a step. The 2x45 price tag is cuckoo and i've seen some pretty bad reviews of some of the Steely Dan UHQRs. Seems to be putting a lot of eggs into the $150+ shipping basket
Yeah he's pitching a $170 pressing from a copy tape. It's time to pop a few bubbles in this hobby.

Initial look is the same metal since 2008.
I'm sure his console upgrades will be reflected on a new cut.

Cars AAA hasn't been reissued well in ages.
KG easily cleared the mofi half speed benchmark. Wasn't a challenge really.
yea --fair points. The Cars is one of those albums that is pretty easy to find and the OGs sounded solid. I think the positive reviews of it definitely induced FOMO in lots of folks. There were quite a lot of people who had no interest in the title when it was announced originally.

Yeah he's pitching a $170 pressing from a copy tape. It's time to pop a few bubbles in this hobby.
i also am just not a huge fan of the AS cut of A Love Supreme...so the idea of paying $140ish more for the UHQR (after shipping) for a cut from the same source by the same engineer doesn't really do it for me haha. and i LOVE that record. I think I own 6 copies of it at this point...

yea --fair points. The Cars is one of those albums that is pretty easy to find and the OGs sounded solid. I think the positive reviews of it definitely induced FOMO in lots of folks. There were quite a lot of people who had no interest in the title when it was announced originally.
I have a lot of records competing for the buy list these days. It's nice to let a few ago. I don't have to have this Rhino release at all. But we'll see how it shakes out.

The Fleetwood Mac box is a prime example of waiting. Damn it sounds fantastic. A ton of rare AAA music for ~$40.

I'm one of those folks - I have the Cars greatest hits and thought that was enough Cars for me but bought the Rhino s/t based on the great reviews and don't regret it for a second - it's truly one of the best sounding records I own. So will I drop $40 on a Van Morrison album I hadn't thought much about before? Probably, if it sounds as good as the Cars.

I have a lot of records competing for the buy list these days. It's nice to let a few ago. I don't have to have this Rhino release at all. But we'll see how it shakes out.

The Fleetwood Mac box is a prime example of waiting. Damn it sounds fantastic. A ton of rare AAA music for ~$40.
I’m not gonna buy many box sets upon release anytime soon. Nearly all of them end up on very steep discount. I paid a similar price for that Fleetwood Mac box. I grabbed the Alternate Fleetwood Mac box too and that one is amazing. Beatles boxes go on steep discount, the Ornette Coleman tone poet box, Neil Young archive series boxes…they all can be had at 50%+ off if you wait like a year.

I’ll probably pick this Van Morrison up as I love the album. But wouldn’t have hated if they had gone with another album that needed a good reissue more.

I’m not gonna buy many box sets upon release anytime soon. Nearly all of them end up on very steep discount. I paid a similar price for that Fleetwood Mac box. I grabbed the Alternate Fleetwood Mac box too and that one is amazing. Beatles boxes go on steep discount, the Ornette Coleman tone poet box, Neil Young archive series boxes…they all can be had at 50%+ off if you wait like a year.

I’ll probably pick this Van Morrison up as I love the album. But wouldn’t have hated if they had gone with another album that needed a good reissue more.

I suppose a lot of it is that for the kudos of a series like this you need “names”. Plus it is Rhino, not some small indie, they’re all going to be big albums that have been in print. Also it’s a run of 5000, not a full press so it’s not like they’re cannibalising the €20 one and it could largely remain the wider press of the album. The real pity for me isn't that, it is that they lost his wider catalogue so couldn’t do Tupelo Honey or St Dominick’s Preview or Into The Music which could all do with this treatment far more. With them being Sony I don’t hold out too much hope for them going forward either.

A Yeah. I’ve stopped buying most stuff and just put it in my want list, if it goes to a price I can pay great, if not I have a great many fabulous albums I can listen to, for you peeps in the US who have it mostly great, outside of that prices are highway robbery.

Back