Definitive Audiophile pressings

Agreed. And I have a good amount of digital recordings on vinyl that sound great thanks to my boy KG and others. If the album was recorded well and you get a good engineer to work on the cut, it can sound awesome. Labels need to lean into that more. MoFi is probably the one who arguably should, because people see the banner and buy it. A lot of people don't really know the ORM vs MFSL banner difference and probably don't care if it sounds good. I know I don't entirely care.

Yeah I completely agree. The third disc of the Ryan Adams one that I mentioned is based on the bonus CD from the Japanese release. They had no tapes for that and were struggling to find hi res digital masters. They used the 16/44 masters made for the CD. Whilst obviously you would rather a better source than that if going digital they made a damn good job of it. Pity he’s a shit so I don’t feel the want to listen to it so much anymore.

It does show to me though that the problem with AAD, ADD and DDD converted into vinyl isn’t the fact that there is digital in the chain, or even that it’s recorded entirely in that realm, but rather the fact that proper vinyl mastering is often an afterthought in modern releases.

AllSpiritedEgret-size_restricted.gif

ORG did some pretty great SY reissues a while back. Not sure what the going used rate on them is currently.
Yeah, ORG has some colored and regular black reissues from around 2010. The black pressings are fairly affordable. I still need to flesh out my early SY collection but have been on the fence on whether to grab some OG SST originals or go with the ORG copies of Sisters, EVOL, and Bad Moon Rising.

Here's a list I came across that may be a good reference for this thread:

Yeah that's a good list for someone trying to buy up some top audiophile titles. A lot are OOP now, but most are not. If you watch the video he does on it, you see that he's not necessarily ranking these in a rigid order, more or less going through the different audiophile labels and picking out a few releases he likes by them.

Here's a list I came across that may be a good reference for this thread:
WARNING: This is your first stop on AAA's (Audiophile Addiction Affliction) "just give me your wallet" rabbit-hole tour. Buckle up! :D

Have gone down yet another rabbit hole...started checking out the EMI100 series. Just got John Lennon - Imagine in the mail and giving it a spin. Sounds fantastic. Might be a good series for the UK/European folks in this thread. Seems like most, if not all, are AAA.

Time to enter the twilight zone then...

Entered & almost passed through the other side! refund applied, just need to see it applied to me card.

(Very quick service to be fair)

(Every time I look at this page I sit and stare at the record spinning & spinning, entranced, unable to do...anything...)

Placed a big order with Music Direct; Withers @ Carnegie, LA Woman, Ella & Louis, Ahmad Jahmal @ the Pershing. I'm hoping I don't get any additional charges as it totals less than £135 (excluding shipping)!

This is becoming the most expensive January ever.

Have gone down yet another rabbit hole...started checking out the EMI100 series. Just got John Lennon - Imagine in the mail and giving it a spin. Sounds fantastic. Might be a good series for the UK/European folks in this thread. Seems like most, if not all, are AAA.

Interesting. The Lennon looks nice. I've looked at some of these before, however, they did pass me by at the time, I would probably have been buying something more contemporary.

I think it was the Bowie titles that first intrigued me. Looking at it know you can get a good price for Ziggy, but Hunky Dory is very expensive. The DSOTM is expensive you could probably get the KG cut for the same price.

Weirdly I just looked at 3 or 4 titles and none had a copy available from a UK seller. I wonder if these were largely exported at the time of release.

Interesting. The Lennon looks nice. I've looked at some of these before, however, they did pass me by at the time, I would probably have been buying something more contemporary.

I think it was the Bowie titles that first intrigued me. Looking at it know you can get a good price for Ziggy, but Hunky Dory is very expensive. The DSOTM is expensive you could probably get the KG cut for the same price.

Weirdly I just looked at 3 or 4 titles and none had a copy available from a UK seller. I wonder if these were largely exported at the time of release.
I was originally looking for a pressing of Hunky Dory and the folks over at Hoffman say that the EMI100 of it is one of the best sounding pressings. Definitely seems out of price range now, but that's how I started looking at the series. I'll look into buying more but this Imagine pressing sounds great to me!

I was originally looking for a pressing of Hunky Dory and the folks over at Hoffman say that the EMI100 of it is one of the best sounding pressings. Definitely seems out of price range now, but that's how I started looking at the series. I'll look into buying more but this Imagine pressing sounds great to me!

I'll keep an eye out for the Lennon, see if one comes up at a reasonable price.

I'm tempted by the Ziggy Stardust as well, seems to go a lot cheaper than Hunky Dory, but I do have Japanese pressing. I should probably stick with that.

I'll keep an eye out for the Lennon, see if one comes up at a reasonable price.

I'm tempted by the Ziggy Stardust as well, seems to go a lot cheaper than Hunky Dory, but I do have Japanese pressing. I should probably stick with that.
Not all of the EMI100s are created equally. Some are DMM, like the Ziggy I see on Discogs and don't claim to be cut from the original tapes, like the Hunky Dory is. Not sure if there are multiple EMI100 Ziggys or not.

I would absolutely love a copy of this pressing! 😍😍😍

Back