Definitive Audiophile pressings

It pretty pathetic though all the same, I mean it’s not like there isn’t a potential nap market for audiophile versions of newer rock/pop/singer-songwriter stuff or other newer genres of just new music that isn’t jazz.

I kinda get Bob, there’s huge inter generational appeal and he’s still in the public eye and at it. Some of their picks of later though weren’t even adored when they came out and haven’t necessarily grown to become cult since either.
totally agree. Just would love to see what they could do with even like New Order or Depeche Mode or Sonic Youth

Ive started falling down a mofi stereo hole with The Beatles, my poor wallet couldn’t take adding Bob to that equation as well

😂😂😂

Also no wonder these Bob’s sound better than the usual MOV Sundazed fare

MOV = STERLING RKS in the grooves
Sundazed = @MikeH‘s fella KG @ CA in the grooves and “from original analogue tapes” on sticker.
I’m thinking of getting a KG@CA tattoo at this rate!

totally agree. Just would love to see what they could do with even like New Order or Depeche Mode or Sonic Youth

Did they do some Sonic Youth at one stage? Around the time they did the Pixies? And then decided nah this isn’t for us let’s just do $125 versions of the least interesting member of CSNY’s solo stuff...

Did they do some Sonic Youth at one stage? Around the time they did the Pixies? And then decided nah this isn’t for us let’s just do $125 versions of the least interesting member of CSNY’s solo stuff...
I think they did Goo, which most SY fans hate because Hoffman got his messy fingers all over it

I think they did Goo, which most SY fans hate because Hoffman got his messy fingers all over it

That tallys! I mean the Smiths as well would lend themselves to such a treatment. And wouldn’t it be nice to hear Radiohead mastered and pressed especially for vinyl. Maybe some hip hop. Or some electronic music. Nah let’s just press some more $125 versions of some weird band that few people younger than 60 have heard of and that no one actually needs.

Yep they did a bunch of Pixies, Goo by Sonic Youth, Aimee Mann...There’s also a MoFi of Nevermind. They also remastered some Metallica albums but those weren’t on the MoFi label. The CDs are even more varied and I wish they pressed some of those on vinyl...

oh Beck Sea Change which is probably one of the most expensive MoFis I usually see out there.

Yep they did a bunch of Pixies, Goo by Sonic Youth, Aimee Mann...There’s also a MoFi of Nevermind. They also remastered some Metallica albums but those weren’t on the MoFi label. The CDs are even more varied and I wish they pressed some of those on vinyl...

oh Beck Sea Change which is probably one of the most expensive MoFis I usually see out there.

The only 21st century one I’ve seen I own, That’s the silver label vinyl one of Love Is Hell but for other reasons I never really feel like playing that one anymore...

I've got Trompe le Monde on vinyl and Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, and Bossanova on SACD. All excellent.

ORG did some pretty great SY reissues a while back. Not sure what the going used rate on them is currently.

True some exist but I think the fact that between me and you we can in about 5 minutes and two paragraphs run them off kind of means that they’re the exception than proves the rule rather than examples of them moving forward.

That tallys! I mean the Smiths as well would lend themselves to such a treatment. And wouldn’t it be nice to hear Radiohead mastered and pressed especially for vinyl. Maybe some hip hop. Or some electronic music. Nah let’s just press some more $125 versions of some weird band that few people younger than 60 have heard of and that no one actually needs.
RunDMC recently

True some exist but I think the fact that between me and you we can in about 5 minutes and two paragraphs run them off kind of means that they’re the exception than proves the rule rather than examples of them moving forward.
Oh yea we 100% agree on that. Even just skimming through their discography the other week, there are a bunch of CD titles they did that never got the vinyl treatment that would have been awesome. Not necessarily just modern titles, but stuff that’s not Dylan or old white people music. I used to think they had trouble getting access to some of those titles but have come to realize that it’s probably mostly their A&R/curation department.

Oh yea we 100% agree on that. Even just skimming through their discography the other week, there are a bunch of CD titles they did that never got the vinyl treatment that would have been awesome. Not necessarily just modern titles, but stuff that’s not Dylan or old white people music. I used to think they had trouble getting access to some of those titles but have come to realize that it’s probably mostly their A&R/curation department.

Completely. I think that the like of themselves and AP (and actually the likes of us too) also need to broaden their horizons solely beyond an obsession with tape and AAA.

There are some fantastic albums that were recorded digitally, are they really saying that they could do a world class job of mastering a hi res or dsd digital master for vinyl? That they still couldn't do a vinyl reference release worthy of their catalogue for those albums?
They can, and will if its Dad rock like Dire Straits, but not for anything modern 🤦‍♂️

Thats without really getting into the fact that tapes degrade and are a physical product that can potentially be lost and/or destroyed. Even where there are master tapes in existence the older they get the more they will degrade. Also the more we hear about the likes of the Universal fire the more we need to realise that we have a duty to future generations to ensure that these are backed up and the labels to their shareholders to ensure that there is a backup to work from for future sales if the worst happens.

There needs to be an acceptance that these are going to need to be transferred (please god as much as possible to DSD) and often touched up where there is tape degradation and that increasingly even the likes of MoFi and AP are going to have to work from them if they want to do those titles.

Last edited:
All the Byrds albums Sundazed did (their proper albums anyway) were cut AAA, but they are usually in and out of stock pretty frequently. The Sundazed Sweetheart of the Rodeo is AAA and Kevin Gray if you can find it. Kevin Gray did the recut of the Sundazed Mono Jeff Beck Truth too which sounds really excellent. I love the Kevin Gray Sundazed Mono version of Safe As Milk, though some will debate me on that since some of the tracks were fold downs, but the thing sounds great to me.

Completely. I think that the like of themselves and AP (and actually the likes of us too) also need to broaden their horizons solely beyond an obsession with tape and AAA.

There are some fantastic albums that were recorded digitally, are they really saying that they could do a world class job of mastering a hi res or dsd digital master for vinyl? That they still couldn't do a vinyl reference release worthy of their catalogue for those albums?
They can, and will if its Dad rock like Dire Straits, but not for anything modern 🤦‍♂️

Thats without really getting into the fact that tapes degrade and are a physical product that can potentially be lost and/or destroyed. Even where there are master tapes in existence the older they get the more they will degrade. Also the more we hear about the likes of the Universal fire the more we need to realise that we have a duty to future generations to ensure that these are backed up and the labels to their shareholders to ensure that there is a backup to work from for future sales if the worst happens.

There needs to be an acceptance that these are going to need to be transferred (please god as much as possible to DSD) and often touched up where there is tape degradation and that increasingly even the likes of MoFi and AP are going to have to work from them if they want to do those titles.
Agreed. And I have a good amount of digital recordings on vinyl that sound great thanks to my boy KG and others. If the album was recorded well and you get a good engineer to work on the cut, it can sound awesome. Labels need to lean into that more. MoFi is probably the one who arguably should, because people see the banner and buy it. A lot of people don't really know the ORM vs MFSL banner difference and probably don't care if it sounds good. I know I don't entirely care.

Back