Definitive Audiophile pressings

Yes. The original British pressings. Done by renowned mastering engineers on vintage equipment, approved by the artist. Definitive.
I have original UK pressings of one and two. They’re fantastic and can be had for somewhat cheaply. I don’t want to plop down the cash for UK first pressings of three and four but there’s a Japanese issue of three that seems to have good reviews and is quite a bit cheaper that I’ve been eyeing for awhile. I have the US issue of three which is alright but missing 30th Century Man, and I have the half speed four which is fine.

Who has gotten the new OJCs and care to comment on quality? I've only gotten Workin so far and haven't had time to spin it. Feel like I haven't heard a TON about the series which is surprising to me. Thought it would have been more popular.

Who has gotten the new OJCs and care to comment on quality? I've only gotten Workin so far and haven't had time to spin it. Feel like I haven't heard a TON about the series which is surprising to me. Thought it would have been more popular.
Only have Workin' myself. Pressing quality and jacket quality on are par with the Prestige reissue series from Acoustic Sounds. As for Workin', I thought it sounded very good, maybe better clarity and separation, but haven't compared it to the old OJC pressing I have (which likely has a digital step in there). I find most of the older OJCs I have sound very good, so haven't really felt the urge to upgrade.

I'd say if you can find these new OJCs at around $30, that is a good value.

Hate the obi strips on the new version. Wish they actually wrapped around the jacket and stayed put.

Going to pick up my first with Bill Evans and go from there.

There’s a guy on one of the groups I follow claiming that “every record is sourced from a digital source since the early 90s” because labels are worried the tapes will get damaged. I listed a few labels / series where this isn’t the case and he’s responded with the classic “I work in the industry” and “are you aware of the mofi issue?”. I give up.

There’s a guy on one of the groups I follow claiming that “every record is sourced from a digital source since the early 90s” because labels are worried the tapes will get damaged. I listed a few labels / series where this isn’t the case and he’s responded with the classic “I work in the industry” and “are you aware of the mofi issue?”. I give up.

I’d have responded “look mate I worked in the b&q warehouse packing kitchens, it doesn’t make me a carpenter”

You can't fix stupid.

It is true that for over 10 years labels in general do not let tapes travel, and mastering studios for the most part don't want them as the insurance cost is high.

But labels will, for the most part, allow tapes to travel to reputable studios within driving distance. That is so the tapes don't get transported by air, where they have a greater chance of being damaged, stolen or lost.

There are exceptions to every rule.

MOFI is likelier to go analog from a west coast resident tape, whereas they use a DSD tape transfer on the east coast or overseas.

Very often today 'AAA' means from a backup or copy tape though.

It is much easier for a master tape owner (label), when doing a series themselves, to send a tape on a drive to a mastering studio, though - if the label is doing the series, the insurance is on them, not the studio.

To me, the new Workin' is great.

Monk/Coltrane did not sound as good as the 70s twofer and it's a crazy mono on some tracks with stereo on other. I don't think they got the same tape because it sounds really different. Also the twofer didn't have any stereo tracks.

Waltz should ship any time now. Looking forward to it.

I didn't buy the Go West box but initial feedback is great from what I see. That's a stellar recording. The 80s OJCs are keeping me content. They sound dry without any reverb but clean and natural.

Lol! I heard Kevin Gray on one of those YouTube interviews with that Steve Westman guy recently. He was saying that just because there was a computer in a lot of lathes back since the 70s - 90s doing the cutting it doesn't mean there's any digital in the chain necessarily.

I was also surprised when he gets asked questions if so and so pressing uses the master tapes how often his answer is yes!

Speaking of. I got the Rhino High Fidelity Cars today and it was banged up in the corners like most are mentioning.. excited to throw it on soon! What most don't mention though is that jacket is GIGANTIC! Biggest LP cover I have by far, nothing I have fits over it!
I don’t know when Vinyl Storage Solutions started offering 12.75” sleeves (a middle size between their 12” and larger size, but they’re great for many of these modern reissues that are very, very snug in a regular 12”

Also, good to know from some of you here that Rhino actually ships orders. I ordered mine on June 3 and it’s been crickets, including a form non-reply reply to my inquiry about it.

I don’t know when Vinyl Storage Solutions started offering 12.75” sleeves (a middle size between their 12” and larger size, but they’re great for many of these modern reissues that are very, very snug in a regular 12”

Also, good to know from some of you here that Rhino actually ships orders. I ordered mine on June 3 and it’s been crickets, including a form non-reply reply to my inquiry about it.
You need a 13" sleeve for The Cars.

You need a 13" sleeve for The Cars.

That's crazy they haven't shipped it yet! And yup exactly @Jbraswell i bought a dozen 12.75 sleeves for records like this but still too small!

I have listened to it and I will say, super impressive especially the pressing quality from Optimal. Extremely quite and well pressed! An amazing reissue!

Cars went in a 12.75 (vss) gatefold sleeve for me. I been telling y’all for a minute gatefold sleeves are the deal.

OJC Workin is a reference record, it’s gorgeous. Monk/Coltrane is not as good.
I'll have to check them out. Send a link if you don't mind.
I have these in my cart but they are not the most inexpensive.

Amazon product ASIN B001719NXQ

Back