Definitive Audiophile pressings

Craft has a new AAA press of Born Under A Bad Sign up for order.

I have the RSD one from years back. Absolutely smokes. Grab this if you need!

Question for the group: A nice person was kind enough to send me Miles in Tokyo, thought the MOV version

It sounds -- okay. Flat pressing, nice packaging, but... it sounds flat and lacks a lot of depth, especially for the recording in a live hall. The recording/performance itself is pretty interesting, and to hear the conflict between Sam Rivers and Miles is awesome. The sound, at least on first listen, left a lot to be desired.

Does anyone know anything about the MOV source? Mostly, what I really want to know if (okay... it's probably "when") I buy the Japanese Pressing: Am I going to be happy or brokenhearted?

Edit: I'll drop in a new comment so that people can find it in both: though my daughter is practicing guitar in the room next door....while my son plays piano; on a second spin: the recording is better than average on the MOV and I have certainly had worse. Miles is captured well. I'll also (no surprise) try the Japanese pressing. The sense of space, other instruments, hall, balance, etc feels like there could be more.

Last edited:
....and why not triple post three totally unrelated things!

Just gave first spin of the Bill Evans - Montreux BG AP 33 cut from 2018. Man!!! Captivating.
I just got that one in a couple of days ago, too! I purchased the cheaper reissue that came out last year and went through the process of exchanging two or three copies through Amazon. All had pressing defects that resulted in incredibly annoying audible glitches. Finally gave up and bought the AP last week. As expected, the AP really smokes the 2022 reissue in every way. Definitely worth the extra $15 bucks if you're interested in this album.

Last edited:
Don't assume. One guy's comments on a website? Not exactly authoritative.

I have the original japanese pressing and it is awesome. A really great concert.
So who do we believe?

That one guy on a website or this other guy on a website?

@HuddieLedbetter , I also have the MOV. I'll spin it tonight and let you know if I agree with you.

Question for the group: A nice person was kind enough to send me Miles in Tokyo, thought the MOV version

It sounds -- okay. Flat pressing, nice packaging, but... it sounds flat and lacks a lot of depth, especially for the recording in a live hall. The recording/performance itself is pretty interesting, and to hear the conflict between Sam Rivers and Miles is awesome. The sound, at least on first listen, left a lot to be desired.

Does anyone know anything about the MOV source? Mostly, what I really want to know if (okay... it's probably "when") I buy the Japanese Pressing: Am I going to be happy or brokenhearted?

So who do we believe?

@HuddieLedbetter , I also have the MOV. I'll spin it tonight and let you know if I agree with you.
I have the RSD pressing from 2019 and although its been a while since I last listened, I seem to remember it being pretty great. I will dig it out tomorrow if I remember.

Speaking of believing in a random internet dude, THIS is the guy we should all be listening to...

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 22.01.15.png

I have the RSD pressing from 2019 and although its been a while since I last listened, I seem to remember it being pretty great. I will dig it out tomorrow if I remember.

Speaking of believing in a random internet dude, THIS is the guy we should all be listening to...

View attachment 166605

That man knows his priorities.

View attachment 166605
Pretty sure that guy has tons of reviews on Discogs like that. Haha. I remember that avatar.

So who do we believe?

That's easy. Look at that guy on Discogs, who also 'reviewed' Agharta and found the 4 Men With Beards was way better than the original.

Like, yeah, I believe that totally. And that George Santos graduated from Harvard. Elvis is alive, BTW.

The original had the Swing Journal Seal of Approval, a very authoritative japanese jazz journal of the time, which means more to me than a guy who has an internet connection and feels the need to share his 'expert opinion' on Discogs.

View attachment 166605
My favorite is the 4 people who tagged it as "helpful"

So who do we believe?

Well, I'm currently spinning Peace Beyond Passion. I've got it next in line, though the side eye from my wife at Sam Rivers may color my listening I'll try to give a decent assessment;)

Edit: MOV pressing, I've not ordered the Japanese pressing yet...but, well, we'll see what @zdkaiser says....

and order it "just in case?"

Last edited:
Well, I'm currently spinning Peace Beyond Passion. I've got it next in line, though the side eye from my wife at Sam Rivers may color my listening I'll try to give a decent assessment;)
Ah, the side-eye. I've been married so long I don't even have to wait for that anymore before I'm killing the volume and/or changing the record.

Back