Definitive Audiophile pressings

Oh nice! They’re finally starting to ship? Very excited to finally get it.
I was a bit bummed I missed out on the captured tracks box set but I have now have the ROG of Lunapark and Lunafied, the recent reissue of Bewitched from Gotta Groove, and the RSD RTI pressing of Penthouse. All have been excellent quality. Hopefully they keep it going.

I was a bit bummed I missed out on the captured tracks box set but I have now have the ROG of Lunapark and Lunafied, the recent reissue of Bewitched from Gotta Groove, and the RSD RTI pressing of Penthouse. All have been excellent quality. Hopefully they keep it going.
Excited for mine to arrive. I think the coloured vinyl is supposed to start shipping around Feb 10

Can’t believe I missed this interview! I usually catch them all…

Just kidding— I was right on the other side of that door behind KG listening the whole time
I assumed you saw it in person, standing behind the camera making sure he didn’t try to send some kind of signal or secret message to the outside world

Can’t believe I missed this interview! I usually catch them all…

Just kidding— I was right on the other side of that door behind KG listening the whole time
MD finally changed my order to shippable. They blew through their inventory quickly.
This one is flying off the shelf it seems.

i think everything has been digital so far in that series right? they haven't been very open about it...they said some would be analogue but seems like digital transfer from the tapes is the norm so far. haven't been impressed with the few i have heard so far.
Indeed they are, all digital.

I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated - this is Universal, most tapes are gone.

Everything is a transfer from the analog tapes - somewhere back in the chain.

They are giving RKS digital files to master from.

I only have two, they sound fine.

Soul On Top, as a remix, must be digital. It is exceedingly rare to do a full analog multitrack remix. They always load the multitracks to a digital workstation.

Fremer absolutely trashes Soul On Top. That makes me think it might be pretty good.

Indeed they are, all digital.

I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated - this is Universal, most tapes are gone.

Everything is a transfer from the analog tapes - somewhere back in the chain.

They are giving RKS digital files to master from.

I only have two, they sound fine.

Soul On Top, as a remix, must be digital. It is exceedingly rare to do a full analog multitrack remix. They always load the multitracks to a digital workstation.

Fremer absolutely trashes Soul On Top. That makes me think it might be pretty good.
Man I just read his review.
I don’t have an OG but this reissue has a very full soundstage. Nothing is flat for me and I am spinning with tone controls off. That's usually my watermark. Brown's vocals are really hot at times. His echo can even be heard lingering into the mic when the music is quite.

I also saw AP gave Chicken Fat a 9 on sound quality. That's pretty high considering Blue Train was also rated a 9.
These reviewers are not really reliable IMO.

I might take 3 or 4 reviews and average them out sometimes to try for a neutral take. but my ears haven't lied to me yet.

Last edited:
anybody know P-Vine records? Looks like they just acquired Weldon Irvine's entire catalogue and copyrights to all master tapes including unreleased material....hope they do nice work!
I have had great experience with P-Vine, and have quite a few.

The Les DeMerle - Spectrum sounds great to me (and no way could be a needle drop) - it just needs a bit more volume as it is cut a bit low.

There are some real gems on P-Vine. Penny Goodwin, Spanky Wilson, and more.

My opinion is that they range from quite acceptable to very good.

The Les DeMerle - Spectrum sounds great to me (and no way could be a needle drop) - it just needs a bit more volume as it is cut a bit low.

Well that makes me excited for the Irvine reissues! There are a few of his I’ve wanted that have been hard to find or haven’t had great reissues

Maybe digital, maybe tape, nobody seems to really know unless I am missing something obvious. To me, Spectrum sounds good, but not "wow".

I'm just saying, compare the product pages between these 2 reissues in the P-Vine store. It seems to me when they have access to the tapes they will emphasize that in the marketing copy like any other label even if it's not an AAA production.

I get all of this, but isn't it inevitably a can of worms/ preference based discussion?

Digital, analog, a little of both, all start with the mastering > pressing > stylus > turntable > phono pre > amp > speakers > space.....and personal preferences.

So unless we're all listening to the same exact pressing on the same exact rig in the same exact room, "how's it sound" is a guesstimate at best.

That said, yes, a pressing with known solid mastering and pressing is going to give you the "best" sound, but I think we tend to go too black and white with some of this.

Just an opinion 😉

I get all of this, but isn't it inevitably a can of worms/ preference based discussion?

Digital, analog, a little of both, all start with the mastering > pressing > stylus > turntable > phono pre > amp > speakers > space.....and personal preferences.

So unless we're all listening to the same exact pressing on the same exact rig in the same exact room, "how's it sound" is a guesstimate at best.

That said, yes, a pressing with known solid mastering and pressing is going to give you the "best" sound, but I think we tend to go too black and white with some of this.

Just an opinion 😉
I agree.

You know, I was happiest back in the day when I never gave any of this any thought. Just listened to the music, and enjoyed what I enjoyed.

I agree.

You know, I was happiest back in the day when I never gave any of this any thought. Just listened to the music, and enjoyed what I enjoyed.
Same, for all the gear I've cycled through i appreciate the lessons learned, but I'm happy that I'm not chasing anything anymore and good with what I have.

Just an opinion 😉
Yes! Also, my copy of X record (the band, hopefully! 😉) could sound largely different than yours just from the stamp. It's virtually impossible to determine that every copy of something will sound the same!

Just an opinion 😉
Indeed! And even in the same room with the same gear and the same disc and the same ears! Some days are somehow better than others.

Back