Definitive Audiophile pressings

Alright audiophile snobz, I need help... Ziggy Stardust. I have no Bowie in my collection at all because the sheer number of pressings is so insane that I haven't event attempted to parse through them all to see what newer pressings are up to snuff. Thoughts? Is there a repress of Ziggy that's particularly good that I can aim for?
The currently in print Parlophone is AAA and sounds great!

Yea it’s just that so many of the titles I want are OOP and too expensive now. I don’t care about the supervinyl or one step THAT much. It’s more about the mastering/cutting. I’m not too gun shy about the One Steps because they largely hold their value and increase. I’ll probably sell/trade my copy of Yes for some records I’ll listen to more eventually.
Yeah, if I have the choice of buying a Craft small batch for $99 and an out of print standard AP for a title I want that is well north of $100, its an easy choice.

Alright audiophile snobz, I need help... Ziggy Stardust. I have no Bowie in my collection at all because the sheer number of pressings is so insane that I haven't event attempted to parse through them all to see what newer pressings are up to snuff. Thoughts? Is there a repress of Ziggy that's particularly good that I can aim for?
I've heard that the standard reissue release is fine and to avoid the MoFi. Dont have a copy myself and agree that there are way too many pressings, etc.

I have not heard the MoFi but reading about it, it was very disappointing (to the point of being a bad press). The recent reissues are are uniformly well done. I think all are done at Optimal. Is it just Ziggy you want to go after or others as well?

Actually unless you want to 70s press, the 2016s are about your only option. Everything between mid 90s and 2016 are semi-legit pressings.

The currently in print Parlophone is AAA and sounds great!
So that's a weird one, the current 2020 pressing is identical to the 2016 AAA but the matrix numbers are different and people suspect it's digital as something of the sort is stated on the labels and jacket according to cogs. If I could find the 2016 then that's perfect but the only way I can do that is to physically go to store and get them to open the jacket and check the matrix. I hate it when companies do this...

I have not heard the MoFi but reading about it, it was very disappointing (to the point of being a bad press). The recent reissues are are uniformly well done. I think all are done at Optimal. Is it just Ziggy you want to go after or others as well?
Yeah I don't need ALL of them. But I definitely need SOME of them.

Yeah I’ll agree with the others. I have the box which has the same standard print that was issued the following year. It’s really well done. To be honest every Bowie album that they’ve redone is really good, the only misstep was with Heroes in the box and they fixed that pretty quickly too.

So that's a weird one, the current 2020 pressing is identical to the 2016 AAA but the matrix numbers are different and people suspect it's digital as something of the sort is stated on the labels and jacket according to cogs. If I could find the 2016 then that's perfect but the only way I can do that is to physically go to store and get them to open the jacket and check the matrix. I hate it when companies do this...

hmmm if there are no other visible outer packaging differences, you could get a near mint opened copy off Discogs probably and have the seller confirm the runouts

Boxes 2, 3 and 4 go at really reasonable prices now... Its just the first which is totally insano.

Although you'll need to buy an extra Heroes too

Yeah they replaced mine at the time but I think that someone on here, or the old place, bought it second hand a few years later and they refused, it was a limited offer to original buyers. I keep both the discs in the heroes sleeve, the corrected one in the proper inner and the old one with the tape artifact on Heroes in a plain inner.

Yeah they replaced mine at the time but I think that someone on here, or the old place, bought it second hand a few years later and they refused, it was a limited offer to original buyers. I keep both the discs in the heroes sleeve, the corrected one in the proper inner and the old one with the tape artifact on Heroes in a plain inner.
They told me I'd waited too long and recommended that I purchase a new copy. Bastards

He doesn't need Pin Ups

I did say “very few” and also even that depends, it has some good songs and some fluff I suppose. I’d say sorrow alone makes it worth it. That said none of it is original music and 70s to early 80s Bowie really is the most extraordinary run of top class albums that I can think of.

Last edited:
A question regarding a 2nd-tier Kinks album, Everybody's in Show Biz. Anyone have an opinion on the 2016 pressing cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearant?
I do not personally own that one but I have the KPG Kinks mono box set and it's fantastic so it's likely very good? And it's pressed at MPO who in my experience are also very good.

Back