Definitive Audiophile pressings

I've heard that the standard reissue release is fine and to avoid the MoFi. Dont have a copy myself and agree that there are way too many pressings, etc.
Weird. I love the MoFi of Ziggy. I don’t know how it compares to the current represses as I don’t have one of Ziggy. But it has awesome stereo separation and may sound a little bright but sounds fantastic on my system. I also didn’t pay anywhere near the going price for it though so don’t know that I’d entirely recommend buying it at the insane prices now.

I do have more recent represses of Bowie and those sound great too though so I think it’s hard to go wrong with some of the other suggestions here! I grabbed a copy of Hunky Dory recently and enjoyed it a lot on first listen. It was somewhere around $20

Weird. I love the MoFi of Ziggy. I don’t know how it compares to the current represses as I don’t have one of Ziggy. But it has awesome stereo separation and may sound a little bright but sounds fantastic on my system. I also didn’t pay anywhere near the going price for it though so don’t know that I’d entirely recommend buying it at the insane prices now.

I do have more recent represses of Bowie and those sound great too though so I think it’s hard to go wrong with some of the other suggestions here! I grabbed a copy of Hunky Dory recently and enjoyed it a lot on first listen. It was somewhere around $20
I actually just recently relinquished my hold on a MOFI Ziggy. For ages it was my go-to. It sounds really, really good. The tape was
'fresher' at that point which I think makes a big difference. But...for the price it goes for today, I decided to let it go, and replaced it with the Ken Scott AAA remaster. I can't say it was a move up, it is good but misses some magic the MOFI has, but on its own it is quite good.

@Mather... yeah, get Ziggy and those from the Five Years box individually because that box is too expensive. But after, I'd consider getting the other boxes, especially the next two, before they get hard to find.
@Mather what Turbo said. Pickup Ziggy, Hunky and Aladdin on their own and then look for good prices on both Who Can I Be Now and A New Career boxes. Also if you find Lets Dance at a decent price it is worth getting as well

I actually just recently relinquished my hold on a MOFI Ziggy. For ages it was my go-to. It sounds really, really good. The tape was
'fresher' at that point which I think makes a big difference. But...for the price it goes for today, I decided to let it go, and replaced it with the Ken Scott AAA remaster. I can't say it was a move up, it is good but misses some magic the MOFI has, but on its own it is quite good.
I'm gunna have to try to find that 2016 pressing somewhere... First glance around it doesn't look readily available anywhere where I can actually get a look at the barcode sticker to confirm the year...

I'm gunna have to try to find that 2016 pressing somewhere... First glance around it doesn't look readily available anywhere where I can actually get a look at the barcode sticker to confirm the year...
I think what @keylime_5 suggested might be your best bet. “Purchase” some NM opened copes of Discogs but don’t pay them until they confirm which pressing they have, let them know if it isn’t the correct version to go ahead and cancel the order. If I recall you can sort by newly listed items first so ya may wanna start at the bottom and see if any were listed prior to 2020. That may help also.

@Mather what Turbo said. Pickup Ziggy, Hunky and Aladdin on their own and then look for good prices on both Who Can I Be Now and A New Career boxes. Also if you find Lets Dance at a decent price it is worth getting as well

I'm just waiting for a good price to pick up Let's Dance at this point... was able to get the other two for <CAN$200 so I'm hoping the same for that one.... Have a price watch going (I think you're the one that showed me camelcamelcamel). It's just a matter of time.... fingers crossed.

@Mather this is one of the older listed ones and it ships from the great white north...

@Mather this is one of the older listed ones and it ships from the great white north...
Messaged the guy, he doesn't have it. Even though it's still listed. Cogs... sigh... I'll give Rotate a call later...

I recently picked up a reissue of Joni Mitchell's Blue, 180g vinyl remastered by Kevin Gray.

I believe it's a repress of the 2007 release mastered by Kevin Gray; both have the same bar code, though runouts are somewhat different.

(When I ordered it from Elusive Disc, I believed I was ordering the 2007 release. That was back in July 2020, and I finally received the album last month.)

At any rate, it's a beautiful pressing, very quiet, sounds great. As I was listening to California, a song I'm sure I've listened to a thousand times or more (I was 15 when this album was first released), I heard a pedal steel line I can swear I'd never heard before, or at least hadn't ever recognized I was hearing it. I looked it up--it was played by Sneaky Pete Kleinow. Starts just after the second chorus, right as she's first singing "Oh it gets so lonely..." and continues through that full verse:

Oh it gets so lonely
When you're walking
And the streets are full of strangers
All the news of home you read
Just gives you the blues
Just gives you the blues

Then it's gone, but reappears when she comes back to that same verse.
It's a beautifully melodic line lying under everything else but driving the verse nonetheless. And. I. Never. Noticed. It. Before!

All of which is to say I think this is a definitive pressing of this record. Anyone have another version of it you're particularly fond of?

I recently picked up a reissue of Joni Mitchell's Blue, 180g vinyl remastered by Kevin Gray.

I believe it's a repress of the 2007 release mastered by Kevin Gray; both have the same bar code, though runouts are somewhat different.

(When I ordered it from Elusive Disc, I believed I was ordering the 2007 release. That was back in July 2020, and I finally received the album last month.)

At any rate, it's a beautiful pressing, very quiet, sounds great. As I was listening to California, a song I'm sure I've listened to a thousand times or more (I was 15 when this album was first released), I heard a pedal steel line I can swear I'd never heard before, or at least hadn't ever recognized I was hearing it. I looked it up--it was played by Sneaky Pete Kleinow. Starts just after the second chorus, right as she's first singing "Oh it gets so lonely..." and continues through that full verse:

Oh it gets so lonely
When you're walking
And the streets are full of strangers
All the news of home you read
Just gives you the blues
Just gives you the blues

Then it's gone, but reappears when she comes back to that same verse.
It's a beautifully melodic line lying under everything else but driving the verse nonetheless. And. I. Never. Noticed. It. Before!

All of which is to say I think this is a definitive pressing of this record. Anyone have another version of it you're particularly fond of?
I love that 2007 Kevin Gray pressing! It is quiet and sounds phenomenal! I’m going to play Blue tomorrow night and already cannot wait to be cozy in bed whilst it spins! 😊🧸

Back