Definitive Audiophile pressings

Just got my Shibata tipped Ortofon Blue snapped on, time to revisit my Sarah Vaughan and see if those issues were simply caused by mistracking from a banged up stylus!

Standby.
I don't know what Shibata is, but if you went from Red to Blue, I'll be curious to hear your impression. I did the same in October and I don't feel like the difference was as dramatic as some have suggested.

Perhaps I'm still "breaking in."

I don't know what Shibata is, but if you went from Red to Blue, I'll be curious to hear your impression. I did the same in October and I don't feel like the difference was as dramatic as some have suggested.

Perhaps I'm still "breaking in."
It’s a different type of stylus on the cartridge. So your blue will sound different that @Ghost ’s blue with the shibata.

Thanks for the info....
Is it still sold by Ortofon? Or some sort of modification by another retailer?
@Ghost would be able to point ya to where he got it. I don’t have a shibata but as others here have said, it should improve really good pressings and make imperfections in bad pressings stand out more

For those that don't want to spend the big bucks on the One step, this is a Kevin Gray, all analog mastered copy that has really good reviews....The only place I could find it in stock:

For those that don't want to spend the big bucks on the One step, this is a Kevin Gray, all analog mastered copy that has really good reviews....The only place I could find it in stock:
Nice! Impex are usually fantastic. I like the one step but probably would have been fine with this one to be honest!

Nice! Impex are usually fantastic. I like the one step but probably would have been fine with this one to be honest!
It should be perfect for me. The only reason I don't care to buy any one-steps is I don't really want a bunch of huge boxes for just 1 album. Space is limited, and I like the full album artwork anyways!

It should be perfect for me. The only reason I don't care to buy any one-steps is I don't really want a bunch of huge boxes for just 1 album. Space is limited, and I like the full album artwork anyways!
This is part of why the Craft One Steps are more appealing. Plus the one step boxes suck. It’s annoying to take the records out of them so I ended up just taking the records out of the box and put them in the sleeves in a section on my shelf.

This is part of why the Craft One Steps are more appealing. Plus the one step boxes suck. It’s annoying to take the records out of them so I ended up just taking the records out of the box and put them in the sleeves in a section on my shelf.
Yeah, I can't wait to see what else comes out from Craft. I look forward to see how the 1st one turns out from whomever ended up getting one.

For those hoping for an AAA one step of Way Out West, I forgot that Bernie did an AAA for AP awhile back. AP had the Contemporary Records titles and were going to do an entire series I believe before the series got somewhat mysteriously axed. Would be interesting to know who has those lacquers now and if they will ever get used.

For those hoping for an AAA one step of Way Out West, I forgot that Bernie did an AAA for AP awhile back. AP had the Contemporary Records titles and were going to do an entire series I believe before the series got somewhat mysteriously axed. Would be interesting to know who has those lacquers now and if they will ever get used.
The AP has been on my wantlist for a long time. Hope someday we get another AAA release. I have a 70’s release on probably the floppiest vinyl I’ve ever seen. Sounds really good though.

The AP has been on my wantlist for a long time. Hope someday we get another AAA release. I have a 70’s release on probably the floppiest vinyl I’ve ever seen. Sounds really good though.
Yea I think there was a new AP reissue by BG supposed to happen in the last 5 years or so? There was going to be an entire series that got pulled at the last minute.

some of those earlier reissues sound amazing. Contemporary’s main engineer, Roy DuNann, was a wizard. A bunch of people prefer him to Rudy which speaks to how highly his work is regarded

I think it got pulled as Craft wanted to release their box & they pulled the rights from AP at the last minute.

edit - Michael Fremer talk about it here

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/sonny-rollins-way-out-west-delue-edition-craft-recordings—what-was-what-what-could-have-been

I think it got pulled as Craft wanted to release their box & they pulled the rights from AP at the last minute.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/sonny-rollins-way-out-west-delue-edition-craft-recordings—what-was-what-what-could-have-been
Yeah I think I remember reading that. It’s a shame since I definitely would have bought an AAA deluxe version of it but that didn’t happen unfortunately.

Interesting read. I watched a video earlier today of Fremer, BG and Chad in the studio taking about Way Out West when they were cutting this for AP. I wonder if Craft will get those BG plates now...they clearly don’t have bad blood since he cut Lush Life for them.

Interesting read. I watched a video earlier today of Fremer, BG and Chad in the studio taking about Way Out West when they were cutting this for AP. I wonder if Craft will get those BG plates now...they clearly don’t have bad blood since he cut Lush Life for them.

It would make sense

AP plates are owned by AP not the originating record label or Grundman. Unless Chad gives Craft the plate work, they will have to cut anew. Chad would want real money for that. Besides, they could not be used for a one-step.

I have the AP Sax pressing, which is excellent. Done.

Back