Criterion Club

I just pre-ordered the Hedwig & the Angry Inch blu-ray. I am so excited!

Also, would anyone be interested in doing a movie of the week with the channel? Take turns picking a movie and talking about it? I'm not very well versed in film. I've seen a lot of 90s and early 00s trash movies and I keep up with How Did This Get Made, so lots of garbage movies and not as many classics/good cinema.

@VegasJaneite?
Yes. Yes. Yes. I am so overwhelmed on the app so a MOW would be awesome.

I just pre-ordered the Hedwig & the Angry Inch blu-ray. I am so excited!

Also, would anyone be interested in doing a movie of the week with the channel? Take turns picking a movie and talking about it? I'm not very well versed in film. I've seen a lot of 90s and early 00s trash movies and I keep up with How Did This Get Made, so lots of garbage movies and not as many classics/good cinema.

@VegasJaneite?

This sounds fun! I would be down to take part.

Criterion Club! We are starting a new feature in this thread featuring a film of the week. Think of it like Book Club but more pretentious. I'll be picking this week, but I am more than happy to start some sort of rotation.

Presenting CCFOW #1:

Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole

81jNg-P0OPL._SY445_.jpg

From Criterion: "Billy Wilder’s ACE IN THE HOLE is one of the most scathing indictments of American culture ever produced by a Hollywood filmmaker. Kirk Douglas gives the fiercest performance of his career as Chuck Tatum, an amoral newspaper reporter who washes up in dead-end Albuquerque, happens upon the scoop of a lifetime, and will do anything to keep getting the lurid headlines. Wilder’s follow-up to SUNSET BOULEVARD is an even darker vision, a no-holds-barred exposé of the American media’s appetite for sensation that has gotten only more relevant with time."

This one came from a suggestion by my uncle. As a journalist, I'm particularly interested in the, uh, current political relevance of it all. My uncle says it's "Kirk at his finest."

I know there's some controversy in regards to Kirk Douglas' personal life, particularly when it comes to Natalie Wood, and I think that is more than fair to discuss as part of this week's film. But, frankly, I don't know much about that and will likely not take part in those conversations.

I am really excited to see this one, and I hope you'll all enjoy it!

(If you want to pick next week's film, just volunteer! Let's try to pick a new movie every Sunday to be talked about through the week.)

Criterion Club! We are starting a new feature in this thread featuring a film of the week. Think of it like Book Club but more pretentious. I'll be picking this week, but I am more than happy to start some sort of rotation.

Presenting CCFOW #1:

81jNg-P0OPL._SY445_.jpg

From Criterion: "Billy Wilder’s ACE IN THE HOLE is one of the most scathing indictments of American culture ever produced by a Hollywood filmmaker. Kirk Douglas gives the fiercest performance of his career as Chuck Tatum, an amoral newspaper reporter who washes up in dead-end Albuquerque, happens upon the scoop of a lifetime, and will do anything to keep getting the lurid headlines. Wilder’s follow-up to SUNSET BOULEVARD is an even darker vision, a no-holds-barred exposé of the American media’s appetite for sensation that has gotten only more relevant with time."

This one came from a suggestion by my uncle. As a journalist, I'm particularly interested in the, uh, current political relevance of it all. My uncle says it's "Kirk at his finest."

I know there's some controversy in regards to Kirk Douglas' personal life, particularly when it comes to Natalie Wood, and I think that is more than fair to discuss as part of this week's film. But, frankly, I don't know much about that and will likely not take part in those conversations.

(If you want to pick next week's film, just volunteer! Let's try to pick a new movie every Sunday to be talked about through the week.)

Awesome! I saw Sunset Boulevard for the first time last year and was blown away. Thanks for doing the first pick!

Presenting CCFOW #1:

81jNg-P0OPL._SY445_.jpg

Great pick! I just watched some Billy Wilder films last week (Sunset Boulevard, The Apartment), but I've actually never seen this one so this is perfect!

Presenting CCFOW #1:

81jNg-P0OPL._SY445_.jpg

I watched Sunset Blvd for the first time a few weeks ago and planned on double-featuring it with this, but got busy. so perfect pick!

Presenting CCFOW #1:

81jNg-P0OPL._SY445_.jpg

This is the best idea. I'll totally participate!

@VegasJaneite?

I would LOVE to do a Criterion Movie of the Week! Wait, does it have to be Criterion? I’m assuming so since this is the Criterion thread.

Presenting CCFOW #1:

81jNg-P0OPL._SY445_.jpg

I'm on board. Never seen this. Also this MOTW thing is a perfect way to introduce me to a bunch of classics I've never seen. I'll give this a watch as soon as I can.

Back