Criterion Club

The whole series is online via the Criterion Channel.

I believe the same can be said of Scenes from a Marriage.

At $89.99, I'm getting a robust Janus library and saving money during Criterion sales so I can pick up stuff licenses from, say, Warners or Universal that wouldn't live as long on the app due to contractual limitations. The streaming quality is uniformly excellent. I believe it's all built on Vimeo's streaming services. The app itself is clean but unremarkable. Not a huge fan of the UI.
Do you get access to all the extras, or is it just the features? Thanks for the information.

Do you get access to all the extras, or is it just the features? Thanks for the information.
Most of the extras on most Janus titles. All if they're presented as "Criterion Editions," basically digitally curated collections that include the full films and supplements to sort of mirror the whole "blu-ray" experience.

With non-Janus titles, the amount of extras varies but there's a wealth of content on there fwiw.

Blue Velvet blu ray (haven’t watched yet).

View attachment 3160

The packaging is pretty minimalist, but I like it. The booklet on the other hand features an excerpt from last year’s Lynch biography/autobiography Room To Dream, which I’ve already read so that’s a bit disappointing.
I need to reach this one
Y'all are aware of the Citizen Kane rumors, right?
That one is coming? I am not up on all the releases they have done

I need to reach this one

That one is coming? I am not up on all the releases they have done
The big rumor on CriterionForum.org is that Citizen Kane was on the New Year's Doodle they always release. The sleigh is a hint at CK and the idea is that maybe it'll be spine #1000.

2019-01-01-4456x2848-criterion-production-zzhaaeftm1xq4wvirthb2frqqhk3kp.jpg

The big rumor on CriterionForum.org is that Citizen Kane was on the New Year's Doodle they always release. The sleigh is a hint at CK and the idea is that maybe it'll be spine #1000.

2019-01-01-4456x2848-criterion-production-zzhaaeftm1xq4wvirthb2frqqhk3kp.jpg
I am not against it, but is there anymore that can be done with CK at this point besides a new interview/commentary? I agree the sled very well looks like it could be suggesting CK and having it as 1000 would seem appropriate

I am not against it, but is there anymore that can be done with CK at this point besides a new interview/commentary? I agree the sled very well looks like it could be suggesting CK and having it as 1000 would seem appropriate
Well, there's a great two and a half hour BBC documentary from 1991 on Welles' career that is sooooo good. A similarly lengthen documentary about the production (not just the Hearst vs. Welles fight) also came out in that same era and was revelatory. Add that with a feature on directors waxing philosophic on Welles and you'd have arguably the greatest blu-ray release ever.

Well, there's a great two and a half hour BBC documentary from 1991 on Welles' career that is sooooo good. A similarly lengthen documentary about the production (not just the Hearst vs. Welles fight) also came out in that same era and was revelatory. Add that with a feature on directors waxing philosophic on Welles and you'd have arguably the greatest blu-ray release ever.
So just combining material that is already out there into one package?

The running time has always been a big mental hurdle on this one (and a few others by Bergman). Since buying CC's is one of two consumer vices I have (the other should be self explanatory based on the forum I'm posting this), I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on their streaming service. Can you actually stream the TV version of Fanny? In general how do you like the service, and do you think it would be worth it to someone that owns roughly 25% of their releases?
I think Smiles is a hugely underrated Bergman film that doesn't get enough love because it feels like minor Bergman. That and Summer Interlude. Both classics in my mind that get buried when discussing his filmography with most.
I’m slowly getting into Bergman. I’ve seen Persona, Seventh Seal, Virgin Spring, Smiles of a Summer Night (many years ago), and Summer With Monika. I’ve loved them all, but so many of his films are considered “indispensable”, it’s hard to choose what to watch next. Cries and Whispers? Wild Strawberries? Fanny & Alexander? So many choices,,,,,

I’m slowly getting into Bergman. I’ve seen Persona, Seventh Seal, Virgin Spring, Smiles of a Summer Night (many years ago), and Summer With Monika. I’ve loved them all, but so many of his films are considered “indispensable”, it’s hard to choose what to watch next. Cries and Whispers? Wild Strawberries? Fanny & Alexander? So many choices,,,,,
Personally, from those options I'd go with Wild Strawberries. Might be my favorite Bergman. And Victor Sjostrom's performance is an all-timer.

I just pre-ordered the Hedwig & the Angry Inch blu-ray. I am so excited!

Also, would anyone be interested in doing a movie of the week with the channel? Take turns picking a movie and talking about it? I'm not very well versed in film. I've seen a lot of 90s and early 00s trash movies and I keep up with How Did This Get Made, so lots of garbage movies and not as many classics/good cinema.

@VegasJaneite?

I just pre-ordered the Hedwig & the Angry Inch blu-ray. I am so excited!

Also, would anyone be interested in doing a movie of the week with the channel? Take turns picking a movie and talking about it? I'm not very well versed in film. I've seen a lot of 90s and early 00s trash movies and I keep up with How Did This Get Made, so lots of garbage movies and not as many classics/good cinema.

@VegasJaneite?
I’d definitely be down for this.

Also, if you like How Did This Get Made, check out Paul Scheer’s other movie podcast, “Unspooled.” He and movie critic Amy Nicholson are making their way through the AFI 100 list. The quality of the list varies, but it’s a good way to be introduced to some classics of American cinema. Watching along with them has been a good way to hit some of my personal blind spots and see some movies I wouldn’t have checked out otherwise.

I’d definitely be down for this.

Also, if you like How Did This Get Made, check out Paul Scheer’s other movie podcast, “Unspooled.” He and movie critic Amy Nicholson are making their way through the AFI 100 list. The quality of the list varies, but it’s a good way to be introduced to some classics of American cinema. Watching along with them has been a good way to hit some of my personal blind spots and see some movies I wouldn’t have checked out otherwise.
Big HDTGM fan here, and will second Unspooled. I’ve been going through it recently and it has me wanting to check out so many classics I’ve never seen. I’ve just started City Lights on the Criterion Channel. Never been interested in silent films, but their episode had me intrigued.

Back