Criterion Club

That's on the channel, right? I need to give that one a rewatch. The David Shire score is exceptional.

yeah, they added it as part of their Caught on Tape collection, with A Face in the Crowd, Klute, Blow Out, Three Colors: Red, and The Lives of Others, among others.

I literally listened to the score in bed immediately after finishing the movie. It’s fantastic.

The best, most irresponsible birthday gift I could hope for.

View attachment 25741

giphy.gif

Finally decided to sign up for the Criterion Channel, splitting with a cinephile friend. My alma mater killed my .edu email linked to my Kanopy account so I'm stuck with the limited streams my public library, so I was looking for a new arthouse / foreign streaming option. I have to say having had both Hulu Criterion and FilmStruck, this is the best the content has ever been presented. Compression still looks mediocre on a 4K OLED, I think they really have a long way to go with PQ, but selection and features are great. For those that have been on board since launch have you seen any under the hood improvements made by Criterion so far?

Finally decided to sign up for the Criterion Channel, splitting with a cinephile friend. My alma mater killed my .edu email linked to my Kanopy account so I'm stuck with the limited streams my public library, so I was looking for a new arthouse / foreign streaming option. I have to say having had both Hulu Criterion and FilmStruck, this is the best the content has ever been presented. Compression still looks mediocre on a 4K OLED, I think they really have a long way to go with PQ, but selection and features are great. For those that have been on board since launch have you seen any under the hood improvements made by Criterion so far?
They've made some minor tweaks. my biggest complaint, which goes back to the Filmstruck days is the lack of availability of english subtitles for most of the english language films. Their dvds always have them, so it's a strange omission, and for someone with hearing impairment who has trouble with accents and likes to have subtitles on to help make sense of more dialogue, its kind of a bummer. I've been meaning to contact them about it because I'm a "charter member" and apparentluly have their concierge level support, but I haven't yet.

They've made some minor tweaks. my biggest complaint, which goes back to the Filmstruck days is the lack of availability of english subtitles for most of the english language films. Their dvds always have them, so it's a strange omission, and for someone with hearing impairment who has trouble with accents and likes to have subtitles on to help make sense of more dialogue, its kind of a bummer. I've been meaning to contact them about it because I'm a "charter member" and apparentluly have their concierge level support, but I haven't yet.
That's odd; I actually use the english subtitles on Criterion Channel and haven't had a problem with availability, though my gripe would be that they're oddly timed, and either the next line of dialogue or the previous one will just hang onscreen, while other lines will appear onscreen too quickly to read.

Maybe they've made improvements there recently. Now that I think about it, its been a while since I've watched an english language film on there. I also use the roku app, which might have less subtitle options...what do you use for streaming it?

Maybe they've made improvements there recently. Now that I think about it, its been a while since I've watched an english language film on there. I also use the roku app, which might have less subtitle options...what do you use for streaming it?
I'm on the browser version or the Amazon FireStick app.

Interesting, that's certainly a major accessibility issue that I would reach out about in your case. I noticed theres a surprising amount of hardcoded / burned in subs too. The first film I checked out for PQ was Rashomon, because that one looked horrible on FilmStruck at launch. Looked better here but the hardcoded subs were a surprise, as it locks it in to English for all users who may or may not want that.

I got Stalker and Solaris recently. The best way to watch them IMO is slightly high in the middle of the day.
I finished Stalker, and while I didn’t love the ending, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Having seen both Solaris and Stalker just one time each, I’d say I prefer Solaris. However, these are both films that require repeated viewings.

Finally caught In the Mood For Love last night. This line is quite appropriate for how quickly it claimed a spot of my all time favorite films.

tumblr_onda16bpZS1rdmywco1_1280.png

Such a strong sense of editing, framing, performance and music, a truly beautiful film. Going to have to go on a WKW binge now.

Just watched Blow Out the other night and had a blast. I recommend catching that and the other Caught on Tape collection movies before they leave the service at the end of the month.

I finished Stalker, and while I didn’t love the ending, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Having seen both Solaris and Stalker just one time each, I’d say I prefer Solaris. However, these are both films that require repeated viewings.

Really need to watch Stalker this month. It’s been on my list since the service first started up.

Saw this on Insta, hopefully this manifests in a box set soon, along with uploads to the channel. IMO the transfers for the WKW stuff they have now are little weak, it would be nice to have some great ones, especially as I fall deeper in love with his work.

Back