Criterion Club

Criterion is having a 50% off flash sale until noon MST tomorrow

Criterion is having a 50% off flash sale until noon MST tomorrow

They also sent me a 50$ gift certificate last week so I might have gone a bit overboard...but now I almost have enough points for another 50$ off. The cycle continues...

anyone have any recommendations on something I should buy? I also have a $10 gift certificate, so being able to grab a blu ray for $10ish seems too good to pass up.

thinking Silence of the Lambs, The Philadelphia Story, Barry Lyndon or a Malick (I only have/have seen Tree of Life, but I love it)

Same boat here; nothing's truly jumping at me, except for Barry Lyndon which is of course sold out. Maybe the Fassbinder? I haven't seen anything by him.

I'm willing to jump on a $9 blu-ray of any movie I'd be likely to watch more than once. Because you all know my tastes so well. 🤪

Same boat here; nothing's truly jumping at me, except for Barry Lyndon which is of course sold out. Maybe the Fassbinder? I haven't seen anything by him.

I'm willing to jump on a $9 blu-ray of any movie I'd be likely to watch more than once. Because you all know my tastes so well. 🤪
I’ve streamed a few Fassbinder films on Criterion’s app, and just can’t get into them.

anyone have any recommendations on something I should buy? I also have a $10 gift certificate, so being able to grab a blu ray for $10ish seems too good to pass up.

thinking Silence of the Lambs, The Philadelphia Story, Barry Lyndon or a Malick (I only have/have seen Tree of Life, but I love it)
Of Malik‘s films, I’ve only seen Badlands and Days of Heaven, and Badlands has become one of my favorite films ever. I wound up also buying Tree of Life, but have yet to watch it. If you like what you’ve seen of his work, Badlands is a must.

Good choice. Rewatched it recently and it holds up and is also still sadly relevant.
Yeah, that’s why I bought it. When it came out, I was just an 18 year old white kid from the suburbs, so I could not relate whatsoever. I later discovered the music of Public Enemy, which made me curious about the film, but still never watched it, for no real reason. Since then, I thought we as a nation had made some real progress with race issues. Guess not as much as I had thought.

Yes, Nashville is fantastic, but I love Altman. I bought Do The Right Thing. I’ve never seen it, and it’s time to rectify that.
I’m very big on Altman; Nashville is definitely is my favorites, but The Long Goodbye hit me a lot harder; it's just a very odd riff on the noir genre.

Do the Right Thing is an excellent film; it's got a lot of verve and humor, and is also soulful and timely. Been too long since I've watched it; still have my criterion DVD from like 2004.

Of Malik‘s films, I’ve only seen Badlands and Days of Heaven, and Badlands has become one of my favorite films ever. I wound up also buying Tree of Life, but have yet to watch it. If you like what you’ve seen of his work, Badlands is a must.

I love those two early Malick films, both very moving and simple.

Tree of Life is about as far away from the essentialism of Badlands as you can get, but both are amazing films. I think Tree kind of killed Malick for me for a good while as his later films just seemed like pale imitations of that one, I didn't even bother with the last two after having devoured everything he shot before them. Excited to check out his new film from this year though that's supposed to be great.

Ugh. 50% off all Criterion at BN all month, including Godzilla. Coulda saved $20 on the preorder if I'd switched to Amazon fromCriterion directly, but that was fine. Mine just arrived this week and now it's already on sale for HALF? Pardon me while I stew.

Last edited:
Back