Criterion Club

@Bull Shannon @girlnevergoesout @Ponman2003 @Dead C @McGlam @Sonicpharmacist @Mitchell? @siremobunny @teefer @David A. @BattleFlag @MikeyP

Just mentioning anyone who might want to pick this week. I'm more than happy to start the rotation again if that's cool, too, but wanted to give everyone else a chance before I did so!
I don't mind suggesting a film, but it's not obscure and I wouldn't really be able to provide any insights :/ It's just one of the best movies ever!

I don't mind suggesting a film, but it's not obscure and I wouldn't really be able to provide any insights :/ It's just one of the best movies ever!
Please do! There are no rules other than it needs to be on Criterion!

Alright then. This week I suggest all of you find time for In the Mood for Love. The music, the suspense, the costumes, the immersion! This thing won award after award so I’m sure most of you have seen it, but just in case, I had to toss it out there. And if this will be your second or tenth time, it will still treat you very well, I guarantee.

I’ll attempt throwing out some discussion points throughout the week, but in the meantime, enjoy!

Alright then. This week I suggest all of you find time for In the Mood for Love. The music, the suspense, the costumes, the immersion! This thing won award after award so I’m sure most of you have seen it, but just in case, I had to toss it out there. And if this will be your second or tenth time, it will still treat you very well, I guarantee.

I’ll attempt throwing out some discussion points throughout the week, but in the meantime, enjoy!
I’m reaaaaly behind on the others, but I’m super pumped for this one. I watched Chungking Express for the first time earlier this year and have been itching to watch more Wong Kar-wai films.

Loved the pacing. The writing was beautiful. The music was great.

But omg the scene where the mistress accusations happen over dinner was almost enough to make me quit watching. Not only was it an uncomfortable moment, but the slurping and other mouth sounds of the man eating were enough to make me mute it for most of that scene.

I mostly buy Criteron collection movies for Akira Kurosawa films. I have RAN, The Complete Lone Wolf and Cub collection, Rashomon, and Seven Samurai. I plan on getting some others but those are my fave so far.

Just started "In the Mood for Love." @teefer you still down for this week's pick?
Yes, I was about to forget. Here it is:

I've only seen this film once on a crappy vhs rip so I've always wanted to re-watch it.
I saw it was leaving the channel at the end of the month so I thought this might be my last chance to make myself watch it.

I'll also try to catch up on all the recent picks, they're all films I've seen and love so I wouldn't mind re-watching those as well and I should have more free time and wi-fi this week so that should help.

This is like in the conversation for GOAT movie IMO.

I finally watched Cukor’s The Women. What a delight.

I mostly buy Criteron collection movies for Akira Kurosawa films. I have RAN, The Complete Lone Wolf and Cub collection, Rashomon, and Seven Samurai. I plan on getting some others but those are my fave so far.

HIGH AND LOW

Back