Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

Hey there! So I don't listen to Country. I'm Mexican, so that means I didn't grow up with that music around, and unfortunately I ignored the genre due in part to the stereotypes of rural America and its culture.

I've listened to a couple of modern country artists recently and have been super intrigued, so I come to you asking for recommendations to expand my knowledge and appreciation of this genre. I have deeply enjoyed Colter Wall and Sturgil Simpson (specially ASGTE), and would like to hear some other contemporary artists who are taking the genre forward while still sounding deeply rooted in the tradition. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

Hey there! So I don't listen to Country. I'm Mexican, so that means I didn't grow up with that music around, and unfortunately I ignored the genre due in part to the stereotypes of rural America and its culture.

I've listened to a couple of modern country artists recently and have been super intrigued, so I come to you asking for recommendations to expand my knowledge and appreciation of this genre. I have deeply enjoyed Colter Wall and Sturgil Simpson (specially ASGTE), and would like to hear some other contemporary artists who are taking the genre forward while still sounding deeply rooted in the tradition. Any recommendations will be appreciated!
Based on Wall and Sturgill, if you haven’t listened to Tyler Childers, you should. I highly recommend Country Squire. I’ll let everyone else chime in with the rest for you though.

My favorites of the new guys are Paul Cauthen and David Ramirez.

Adding to what Lee said, this would be my short list:

Charley Crockett
Lukas Nelson and Promise of the Real
Paul Cauthen
Nikki Lane
Margo Price
Whitey Morgan & The 78's

And maybe Jason Isbell

Charley Crockett

Vincent Neil Emerson

Mike &The Moonpies

Paul Cauthen

Midland

Basically, Texas Country is the best Country

a few more Classic Acts...

Willie Nelson
Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie
Waylon Jennings
Waylon Jennings - Waymore's Blues
Merle Haggard
Merle Haggard - I think ill just stay here and drink
Lyle Lovett
Lyle Lovett - If I Had A Boat
Dwight Yoakam
Dwight Yoakam - Honky Tonk Man (Official Music Video)
Steve Earle
Steve Earle - Someday (Official Video)

Made a Spotify Playlist with the 3 most popular tracks by every artist you fellas suggested. I'll give it a couple of listens and let you know what artists I like the most, but pretty much everything I've sampled so far is awesome.

I'm also diggin that Ian Noe album someone suggested a couple of posts ago. Great stuff!

Made a Spotify Playlist with the 3 most popular tracks by every artist you fellas suggested. I'll give it a couple of listens and let you know what artists I like the most, but pretty much everything I've sampled so far is awesome.

I'm also diggin that Ian Noe album someone suggested a couple of posts ago. Great stuff!
My favorites so far (in order of preference):

Paul Cauthen
Charley Crocket
John Prine

If you haven't already noticed, I created a thread for artists live streams. Most of the streams are artist that fall into the category of this thread. If you have any to share, please do.

General Music & Vinyl / Quarantine Dream - Artists Live Streams

This is a little different, but I'm digging it. Curious what others think?

Back