Comics Corner

What's everyones thoughts on Sandman? I've just gotten through the Diner episode - and really enjoying it so far. Finding it to be very true to the comics thus far, and the acting is great. Tom Sturridge makes a really good Morpheus I think. Production quality on the sets is high.

Also enjoying watching Neil Gaiman push back on the critics re: casting decisions on Twitter.

What's everyones thoughts on Sandman? I've just gotten through the Diner episode - and really enjoying it so far. Finding it to be very true to the comics thus far, and the acting is great. Tom Sturridge makes a really good Morpheus I think. Production quality on the sets is high.

Also enjoying watching Neil Gaiman push back on the critics re: casting decisions on Twitter.
I liked it

It's fucking incredible!

Currently sitting with The Wire as my favourite television ever.
I've been itching to re-watch it since immediately after finishing it the week it came out.

The entire cast was/is fantastic and Tom Sturridge in particular really nails Morpheus. Very impressive.

I really hope they're able to do four more seasons (which is what I estimate it would take to do the entire run based on the current pacing) and was pretty reassured by Gaiman's assurance that they have a clause in the contract that will allow them to do so one way or another.

Neil Gaiman is fucking amazing. As are his pushbacks.

My only bone of contention is changing John Constantine to Johanna Constantine. Not because I'm precious about staying true to the comic or some dumb racist/ sexist whatever (lucienne's great, death is great, lucifer is great), but John and Johanna are both established as different, separate characters. John's got a backstory and I don't see how genderflipping him serves any real purpose. Everything else is so note perfect - they even got the girl running after a ball during the death/ park bench talk - I can only assume there's going to be some payoff for doing that. I'm hoping the continue to do the one off vignettes, I want to see prez/boss smiley.

My only bone of contention is changing John Constantine to Johanna Constantine. Not because I'm precious about staying true to the comic or some dumb racist/ sexist whatever (lucienne's great, death is great, lucifer is great), but John and Johanna are both established as different, separate characters. John's got a backstory and I don't see how genderflipping him serves any real purpose. Everything else is so note perfect - they even got the girl running after a ball during the death/ park bench talk - I can only assume there's going to be some payoff for doing that. I'm hoping the continue to do the one off vignettes, I want to see prez/boss smiley.

The story I read is that John's character rights are still tied up with another studio, so they had to go in a different direction. I thought keeping it in the family made more sense than entirely changing the character, and the casting of Johanna and how they played out those scenes was fantastic.

I'm not that familiar with the John Constatine character or his backstory, so that change wasn't significant to me. Neil does address it slightly in the Comic Con panel that it made sense to him to use the same character since Johanna shows up later too - but really just touches on it.

The panel is a good watch, info on casting and Gwendolyn Christie's response to an audience question on being Lucifer near the end of the panel is just wonderful.

Someone asks Neil about the possibility of a 1602 movie - which he has no idea on, it's up to Marvel. But I gotta say, that would make for a great limited series.

I spent the last two nights reading the first book of Bone with my 5-year-old and when I went to enter my re-read into Goodreads discovered that yesterday and today were exactly six years to the day from when I read it for the first time myself (about six weeks before he was conceived!) Wild.
my youngest kept taking mine and sneaking them into his room, i wound up just giving them to him and got myself the black and white omnibus

I spent the last two nights reading the first book of Bone with my 5-year-old and when I went to enter my re-read into Goodreads discovered that yesterday and today were exactly six years to the day from when I read it for the first time myself (about six weeks before he was conceived!) Wild.

my youngest kept taking mine and sneaking them into his room, i wound up just giving them to him and got myself the black and white omnibus
What’s Bone? Is this something I should seek out to read with my 4 and 7 year olds?
Thanks!

What’s Bone? Is this something I should seek out to read with my 4 and 7 year olds?
Thanks!

7-year-old? Absolutely!
4-year-old? Depends on your 4-year-old.

There are some "scary" critter bad guys. They're more bumbling than horrifying but do spook my 5-year-old some. That said, it's the first thing we've read or watched that he's chosen to work through his anxiety with, rather than give up - so that's awesome.

But yeah, for the kid/s AND for yourself it's absolutely worth picking up or borrowing from the library. Brilliant stuff.

7-year-old? Absolutely!
4-year-old? Depends on your 4-year-old.

There are some "scary" critter bad guys. They're more bumbling than horrifying but do spook my 5-year-old some. That said, it's the first thing we've read or watched that he's chosen to work through his anxiety with, rather than give up - so that's awesome.

But yeah, for the kid/s AND for yourself it's absolutely worth picking up or borrowing from the library. Brilliant stuff.
Thanks! I will definitely find Bone! Always looking for good comic reading to do with the boys - I bought a few of the Batman Adventure (graphic novels for everyone) series for Christmas, and for my 7 year old I found a Zelda manga boxset, so they will love Bone I bet.

Bone is fantastic - we've probably worn out 3 copies of it. Maybe not for the 4 year old set as the story gets pretty dark as it moves along.

One of my favorites from when my kids were little is Owly. No words - just amazing artwork and stories that are great for opening up dialog about what the characters are experiencing. Plus the author is a fantastic guy, my oldest and I would go see him at SDCC every year as a tradition, and ended up commissioning a print from him for her HS graduation.

There's some free PDF's up on his website, and the books were recently republished through Scholastic.

Bone is fantastic - we've probably worn out 3 copies of it. Maybe not for the 4 year old set as the story gets pretty dark as it moves along.

One of my favorites from when my kids were little is Owly. No words - just amazing artwork and stories that are great for opening up dialog about what the characters are experiencing. Plus the author is a fantastic guy, my oldest and I would go see him at SDCC every year as a tradition, and ended up commissioning a print from him for her HS graduation.

There's some free PDF's up on his website, and the books were recently republished through Scholastic.

Ti-Bou!!!

Thanks!

Back