Comics Corner

so far, that i own, fun girl and another by elizabeth pich (came out with fun girl last year i believe) and clutter, who i’m blanking on the writer now but it’s called clutter: a sexual assault story, or something to that affect. also simon hanselman, but i haven’t bought any meg owl & wolfman jones yet. i fucking love wolfman jones. i’ve also gotten into the smut peddler series by iron circus, and backed my monster girlfriend which should be going out sometime soon. an ex made comics, and had HUNDREEEDS, truly. and even more zines from a lot of conventions and expos - i don’t remember the names of, well any bc honestly, i didn’t register that no more him = no more library of endless comics. he got me into them and video games (he makes video games). which is why i have a switch and a quest 2 which i can’t imagine playing anything other than beat saber on.

there’s a lot from iron circus, silver sprocket & peow i want to read - i know that much. and there are a lot that i recognize the cover of from time to time. also, manga! really want to read chainsaw man & one punch. and i am halfway through book two of dudoro.… which he has. so i need to get the set for myself. i also want the giant book about him, again - forgot the name. i’m really bad with names! but dudoro is the first manga i’ve ever read & i fucking love it so far, and i know the guy that wrote it was/its a matter and helped shape manga into what it is or became etc.

also, i call graphic novels comics to. i asked and he said it’s fine. i like when one word covers more than one base.

Good list! I have a bunch of various indie stuff (Clowes, Bagge, Sala, L&R, Tardi) , primarily from or distributed through Fantagraphics or found at ECCC, but it's all in boxes until I can build out a full vinyl room/library

do your have the flash?
NOT A CLUE what i was trying to say or ask here
I do not have any of those unfortunately
okay i don’t know any of the comics you listed, but i guess i should read some daniel clowes. the boy scout, bicycle and copra also sound good. if the brutality in lost dogs has anything to do with dogs (or animals), there’s no way i can read it - even the mildest abuse toward a dog i can’t do - all my dog stories need happy endings where the dogs rule the world, basically). it should be it’s own content warning.

but everything else, i’m totally okay with. i like brutal and dark. just not with animals.

if the brutality in lost dogs has anything to do with dogs (or animals), there’s no way i can read it - even the mildest abuse toward a dog i can’t do - all my dog stories need happy endings where the dogs rule the world, basically).
Do humans count as animals?

Reactions: 6od
Good list! I have a bunch of various indie stuff (Clowes, Bagge, Sala, L&R, Tardi) , primarily from or distributed through Fantagraphics or found at ECCC, but it's all in boxes until I can build out a full vinyl room/library
eccc is something i see mentioned on twitter and ig a lot (i follow a lot of artists/comic writers). it’s coming up no? i also don’t recognize (i don’t think) and if the names you said.

i guess i should make a list of all these recs. like those things as a kid where they wanted you to read so many books from a specific list over summer? i know it has a name but clearly i never did it. i had a bike instead.

eccc is something i see mentioned on twitter and ig a lot (i follow a lot of artists/comic writers). it’s coming up no? i also don’t recognize (i don’t think) and if the names you said.

i guess i should make a list of all these recs. like those things as a kid where they wanted you to read so many books from a specific list over summer? i know it has a name but clearly i never did it. i had a bike instead.
ECCC = Emerald City Comic Con

Yeah, ECCC is the first weekend of March this year. I used to go for at least one day every year, and even the entire weekend when I cohosted a podcast, but haven't been since 2019. ReedPop has had, to put it kindly, a scattershot approach to COVID and crowd safety. Aside from them getting back to ECCC being the first big comicon of the year as they'd always tried to do pre-pandemic, the city just re-opened the remodeled, expanded Convention Center so I am interested to see what they do with the layout.

Sorry, I was talking shorthand with my authors/titles :) - Peter Bagge is best known for Hate comics (featuring Gen X slacker Buddy & doing a fairly interesting comix look at the early 90's Seattle music scene) but he's written a bunch of other indie titles; Love and Rockets (Hernandez Bros, peak 80s indie comix set between Hispanic communities in LA and Central America); Richard Sala wrote a bunch of horror/monster/mystery/detective titles (The Chuckling Whatsit prob his best known); Jacque Tardi a French comic artist & Fantagraphics has republished a number of his books with an English translation

Reactions: 6od
Anybody here been checking out The Sandman Universe line that started up in 2018 and overseen by Neil Gaiman?

I've been working my way through all the collections available at the library and have been really impressed with most of it, which is great since these kinds of initiatives so often roll themselves over the cliff.

Anybody here been checking out The Sandman Universe line that started up in 2018 and overseen by Neil Gaiman?

I've been working my way through all the collections available at the library and have been really impressed with most of it, which is great since these kinds of initiatives so often roll themselves over the cliff.
I loved the ones he wrote (including Death HCOL), and I read the ones that came after and they were dreck and I never really went back for it. It just lacked his touch.

I loved the ones he wrote (including Death HCOL), and I read the ones that came after and they were dreck and I never really went back for it. It just lacked his touch.

I hear that about the old Vertigo stuff for sure. The Sandman Universe was started in 2018 in celebration of Sandman's 30th and Vertigo's 25th. Neil Gaiman conceived of it and oversees each title, but they have their own creative teams. I don't know how much Neil oversaw a lot of those older titles that came out through Vertigo, but I suspect not much given the quality was so lacking on a bunch of them. These ones definitely feel much more in step with Gaiman's work.

When asked why he returned to The Sandman, Gaiman said he began to feel guilty that almost no one had been able to return to the series since its conclusion and liked the idea of reviving it, as well as letting new writers play with his "toys". Gaiman assembled the writing team for the line with the Vertigo editorial team. Both parties suggested writers who they thought would be good for new Sandman stories. Samples by writers were then read by Gaiman, who decided whether or not they were proficient. Choosing writers also involved deciding which comic suited which writer best. Gaiman cited Nalo Hopkinson's science fiction work as an influence for assigning her to House of Whispers. Gaiman chose Kat Howard, who he has worked with for several years, to reboot The Books of Magic because of her handling of magic in her stories, and Dan Watters to write Lucifer because he was up to the challenge of recreating the character.

The first House of Whispers collection didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped - I was pretty excited about it. I have 2 and 3 coming to my library anyway.

Dan Watters' Lucifer, though... HOLY HELLS it's really rocking my socks! Very well done.

I read some of them a while back and surprisingly enjoyed them as well.

I'm impressed with your dedication on getting these through the library! I went to look at the DC universe app to see if they were there, but it looks like you have to buy the annual subscription for the Vertigo titles, I think I'd just want to jump in for a few months and then back out.

I'm impressed with your dedication on getting these through the library! I went to look at the DC universe app to see if they were there, but it looks like you have to buy the annual subscription for the Vertigo titles, I think I'd just want to jump in for a few months and then back out.

My library's pretty dope! We have a dozen branches in our metro area and they have a pretty solid website setup that makes it easy to find stuff and request holds to whichever branch you want to pick up at. Half the time I'm in and out in under 3 minutes because the hold shelf is right by the door. Every once in a while I have to wait for a title to be able to continue on with the story, but for the most part so long as it's not a brand brand new title, anything I request is in within a couple of days. Usually they're a one or two sitting read, so I plow through a lot of titles in short order (and usually request them in large batches)

Back