Comics Corner

So… got some comics for Christmas…
This one from my daughter:
View attachment 163305
Was a lot of fun kind of like A Knights Tale in space.

My brother got me this, just broke the shrink off. Always love Kirby never really checked out his or any early Panther work though:
View attachment 163306
Nice! The Penguin Classic series looks interesting. I saw Amazon is selling the Black Panther, Spider-Man, and Captain America ones at 50% Off right now. Have you read any of the others? Are these worthwhile? If you have read any of the others, which would ya recommend?

Nice! The Penguin Classic series looks interesting. I saw Amazon is selling the Black Panther, Spider-Man, and Captain America ones at 50% Off right now. Have you read any of the others? Are these worthwhile? If you have read any of the others, which would ya recommend?
It’s the first one I’ve gotten. Was not aware of the series prior to getting the gift. It reminds me of the old Marvel Masterworks or DC Archives except it’s a nicer book with gold leaf and resembles the old leather bindings of fancy books. It’s got the nice thick paper stock and the pages are printed so that there is a border and you get the full art from the page even with the page seams. There is a lot of introductory material which is where I imagine these will stand out a bit. Will report back.

7-year-old? Absolutely!
4-year-old? Depends on your 4-year-old.

There are some "scary" critter bad guys. They're more bumbling than horrifying but do spook my 5-year-old some. That said, it's the first thing we've read or watched that he's chosen to work through his anxiety with, rather than give up - so that's awesome.

But yeah, for the kid/s AND for yourself it's absolutely worth picking up or borrowing from the library. Brilliant stuff.

Bone is fantastic - we've probably worn out 3 copies of it. Maybe not for the 4 year old set as the story gets pretty dark as it moves along.

One of my favorites from when my kids were little is Owly. No words - just amazing artwork and stories that are great for opening up dialog about what the characters are experiencing. Plus the author is a fantastic guy, my oldest and I would go see him at SDCC every year as a tradition, and ended up commissioning a print from him for her HS graduation.

There's some free PDF's up on his website, and the books were recently republished through Scholastic.

Started reading Bone tonight (I picked up the 1300 page omnibus), and both kids love it so far. Read the first two chapters, and my 4-yo was not happy I had to stop to make dinner.

Bone is fantastic - we've probably worn out 3 copies of it. Maybe not for the 4 year old set as the story gets pretty dark as it moves along.

One of my favorites from when my kids were little is Owly. No words - just amazing artwork and stories that are great for opening up dialog about what the characters are experiencing. Plus the author is a fantastic guy, my oldest and I would go see him at SDCC every year as a tradition, and ended up commissioning a print from him for her HS graduation.

There's some free PDF's up on his website, and the books were recently republished through Scholastic.

Started reading Bone tonight (I picked up the 1300 page omnibus), and both kids love it so far. Read the first two chapters, and my 4-yo was not happy I had to stop to make dinner.

Just finished book one of Owly with the 5-yo tonight. We are both loving it! Have book two on hand already and will place holds at the library next week for 3 and 4.

So I’m watching this Battle of the Super Sons movie. Do they ever attempt to explain how the biology of Jonathan Kent works?

What’s your poison?
so far, that i own, fun girl and another by elizabeth pich (came out with fun girl last year i believe) and clutter, who i’m blanking on the writer now but it’s called clutter: a sexual assault story, or something to that affect. also simon hanselman, but i haven’t bought any meg owl & wolfman jones yet. i fucking love wolfman jones. i’ve also gotten into the smut peddler series by iron circus, and backed my monster girlfriend which should be going out sometime soon. an ex made comics, and had HUNDREEEDS, truly. and even more zines from a lot of conventions and expos - i don’t remember the names of, well any bc honestly, i didn’t register that no more him = no more library of endless comics. he got me into them and video games (he makes video games). which is why i have a switch and a quest 2 which i can’t imagine playing anything other than beat saber on.

there’s a lot from iron circus, silver sprocket & peow i want to read - i know that much. and there are a lot that i recognize the cover of from time to time. also, manga! really want to read chainsaw man & one punch. and i am halfway through book two of dudoro.… which he has. so i need to get the set for myself. i also want the giant book about him, again - forgot the name. i’m really bad with names! but dudoro is the first manga i’ve ever read & i fucking love it so far, and i know the guy that wrote it was/its a matter and helped shape manga into what it is or became etc.

also, i call graphic novels comics to. i asked and he said it’s fine. i like when one word covers more than one base.

so far, that i own, fun girl and another by elizabeth pich (came out with fun girl last year i believe) and clutter, who i’m blanking on the writer now but it’s called clutter: a sexual assault story, or something to that affect. also simon hanselman, but i haven’t bought any meg owl & wolfman jones yet. i fucking love wolfman jones. i’ve also gotten into the smut peddler series by iron circus, and backed my monster girlfriend which should be going out sometime soon. an ex made comics, and had HUNDREEEDS, truly. and even more zines from a lot of conventions and expos - i don’t remember the names of, well any bc honestly, i didn’t register that no more him = no more library of endless comics. he got me into them and video games (he makes video games). which is why i have a switch and a quest 2 which i can’t imagine playing anything other than beat saber on.

there’s a lot from iron circus, silver sprocket & peow i want to read - i know that much. and there are a lot that i recognize the cover of from time to time. also, manga! really want to read chainsaw man & one punch. and i am halfway through book two of dudoro.… which he has. so i need to get the set for myself. i also want the giant book about him, again - forgot the name. i’m really bad with names! but dudoro is the first manga i’ve ever read & i fucking love it so far, and i know the guy that wrote it was/its a matter and helped shape manga into what it is or became etc.

also, i call graphic novels comics to. i asked and he said it’s fine. i like when one word covers more than one base.
I am not familiar with most of these except for one gigantic exception, I LOVE Simon Hanselman. I am gonna take this opportunity to show off a bit…

This is my collection of Mega, Mogg, & Owl collected works.
7F18BCAE-758C-4880-ACE4-0EE5DFAD5649.jpeg
My copy of Megahex is signed too.
4FF0C1C7-DEBB-4E67-9BD1-4BFB0DFD8B9A.jpeg
I also, have this…
00E8FB50-9BAF-4B8C-83E0-20DC8DFE954D.jpeg
It’s on news print and is basically collection of larger newspaper sized prints.

I also love Werewolf Jones (RIP)…
1988EB5A-82BF-4AD2-954C-672D003080E9.jpeg
I have a small Werewolf Jones zine buried somewhere that is super fun. It’s him dealing with his asshole kids.
5707DDDE-68C6-461F-AD67-1F82D7E07675.jpeg

Last edited:
I am not familiar with most of these except for one gigantic exception, I LOVE Simon Hanselman. I am gonna take this opportunity to show off a bit…

This is my collection of Mega, Mogg, & Owl collected works.
View attachment 167253
My copy of Megahex is signed too.
View attachment 167255
I also, have this…
View attachment 167256
It’s on news print and is basically collection of larger new spatter sized prints.

I also love Wolfman Jones (RIP)…
View attachment 167257
I have a small Wolfman Jones zine buried somewhere that is super fun. It’s him dealing with his asshole kids.
View attachment 167258
uggggghhhh i envy thiiiis. do your have the flash? the wo lfman flag? FUCKTOWN USA or something like that? it came out before SPX and my time went and i was hoping he’d find one there but he did not.

typing bad bc haven’t slept and using ipad one handed (not gross. other arm is pillow)

Here are some other Indie graphic novels from my collection that I enjoy:

My Daniel Clowes collection…
FFBA021A-245A-4779-89A0-82340085B7D9.jpeg
I hope to one day own a hardbound copy of The Complete Eight Ball as it contains my favorite Clowes story, Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron.

Mooncop, Crawlspace, Tarantula, And Space Riders.
121ABCA3-A79C-4BB0-8073-2BACF4E4E55D.jpeg
The latter two are done by the same Writer/Artist combo Fabian Rangel and Alexis Ziritt.

Troop 142, Bicyle Day, Copra, and Lost Dogs
C8A9240F-3167-4D2E-8C45-161B4513287D.jpeg
Troop 142 is a nostalgic look at a Boy Scout type summer camp in the 1980s, Bicycle Ride is an illustrated look at Swiss Chemist, Albert Hofmann discovery and first self tests of LSD through his journal entries. Copra is an Indie comic take on 1980s Suicide Squad comics. And Lost Dogs is a pretty brutal story. I love Lemire but I don’t know If I will ever read it again.

The Art of Robert McGinnis, Edna, From Hell
DCB2488B-9A2E-421B-A72C-9CF2616BE4CE.jpeg
The Robert McGinnis art book isn’t a graphic novel but a collection of his Pulp magazine and book covers. Mobius Edena is absolutely beautiful and Alan Moore’s From Hell is an amazing look at the mystery behind Jack The Ripper.

uggggghhhh i envy thiiiis. do your have the flash? the wo lfman flag? FUCKTOWN USA or something like that? it came out before SPX and my time went and i was hoping he’d find one there but he did not.

typing bad bc haven’t slept and using ipad one handed (not gross. other arm is pillow)
I do not have any of those unfortunately

Reactions: 6od
Back