Ch Ch Ch Changes! - David Bowie Talk

That’s weird. It’ll leave a final box set really thin. I always thought that both Heathen and Toy should be together in Box Set 6…
My thinking too.
Box 5 = Black Tie/Buddha/Earthling/Outside/Hours/Heathen (plus maybe Toy as the special bonus) - plus there is lots of live stuff to release.
Box 6 = Reality/Next Day/Black Star/Lazarus Cast Soundtrack?/No Plan ep? - not sure what they would do for a live album, hopefully not just reissue the Dublin Reality boxset, maybe the 5 Boroughs tour. Wonder how much home studio noodling he did post heart attack, it was 9 years between that and Next Day.

My thinking too.
Box 5 = Black Tie/Buddha/Earthling/Outside/Hours/Heathen (plus maybe Toy as the special bonus) - plus there is lots of live stuff to release.
Box 6 = Reality/Next Day/Black Star/Lazarus Cast Soundtrack?/No Plan ep? - not sure what they would do for a live album, hopefully not just reissue the Dublin Reality boxset, maybe the 5 Boroughs tour. Wonder how much home studio noodling he did post heart attack, it was 9 years between that and Next Day.

I think the extra tracks (it was 10 I think) that were on the Next Day Extra would have to be in there too, it never came out on vinyl. I think the Reality Live album will likely be in there too (just because these boxes have always had the commercially available live albums not leftfield ones).

Maybe they will split 2001 in two? Next one could be 2001-2016 so one box has Toy and the other Heathen? If there was a proper set of unused songs in the gap too that would then be the beginnings of a nice box set!

I'm ashamed to admit that despite being a music lover, I am woefully unfamiliar with Bowie. I know a few songs, yes, but I've never sat down and listened to his entire discography, let alone an entire Bowie album. That wrong gets righted starting today as I'm going to start that journey. Any tips for someone in my position?

First up, David Bowie aka Space Oddity

I'm ashamed to admit that despite being a music lover, I am woefully unfamiliar with Bowie. I know a few songs, yes, but I've never sat down and listened to his entire discography, let alone an entire Bowie album. That wrong gets righted starting today as I'm going to start that journey. Any tips for someone in my position?

The easiest intros for newbies are Hunky Dory and Ziggy imo! Station to Station, the Berlin Trilogy and Scary Monsters/Lets Dance are the best to move onto afterwards. That said he had a run from Hunky Dory to Lets Dance where he pretty much didn’t make a misstep and they are all worth a listen!

Agreeing fully @Joe Mac . Space Oddity is an oddity. Very much a product of its time (1969). Definitely spend some time with Hunky and Ziggy and then work out for there earlier and later. Check back in with comments or thoughts. I think all the regular posters have their favourite Bowie records.

Enjoy and welcome to the world of Bowie

Bowie is captivating for many because he has very distinct periods of output--the box sets do a good job breaking these up.

His earliest stuff easily flows into Space Oddity and the Man Who Sold the World. With his first few albums, I call them the folk hangover period. He was very influenced by the folk wave of the 1960's, but you can tell that he has his own ideas through a lot of these songs. For this period, I would suggest to stick to the studio albums. I have several different recordings of his very early stuff, and while it's fun to see where he came from, it's not integral to getting to know Bowie discography.

Then he hit the Ziggy Stardust era where Bowie starts to create stage personas that help embody the music. Ziggy is arguably the "best" album, if not one of his most popular. It's a strong album, but he still uses conventional instruments. I have a strong feeling that Bowie was heavily influenced by Iggy Pop, as well as glam rock as a whole. He rounded these albums out with Diamond Dogs and Young Americans, which are also extremely strong albums. If you like Space Oddity, you will enjoy this run of albums too. You can see how he evolves sonically--in what I think are baby steps--during this time, but it all has a lot of the same vibe.

After this, Bowie got paired up with Brian Eno and took a definite turn in sound. He's still there, and you see where a lot of his ideas were, but this is a whole new sound. He started adding a lot more synth to his music, and he also got rather extreme during this time. It was known as his thin white duke persona stage, and if the Last Podcast on the Left is to be believed, he ingested nothing but peppers, milk and cocaine for a stint while creating some of these albums. This is when he did Station to Station and my personal favorite album, Low. I really, really love the albums that he did with Eno in the late 70's, and he returns to this sound in the 90's.

He, then, had some billboard success in the 80's with Let's Dance. The next run of albums after this one weren't great because he had signed a contract to deliver 4 albums, and by the second album, he no longer wanted to be in that contract, so Tonight and Never Let Me Down are two that IMHO you can skip, because even Bowie wasn't too jazzed about them.

I have to admit that I haven't listened to much Bowie from the early 90's just because getting my hands on a copy of something like Buddha of Suburbia has proven difficult. I'm looking forward to the newest box, because that's the period in Bowie history that I haven't delved into much. But when I got a CD copy of Earthling back in the late 90's, I think that ultimately got me on the Bowie bandwagon. From the early aughts, the only album I wasn't big on was Reality, but Blackstar made up for that.

tl;dr If you start with the old stuff, I recommend you go in order. I outlined a couple albums that I don't think you should miss and a few you can skip. What I love about Bowie is that he is a master of reinvention. He can change his style completely, but you know it's Bowie because he's so distinct. I think it's best to enjoy his discography in order so that you can follow how each iteration was influenced by the last.

I have a strong feeling that Bowie was heavily influenced by Iggy Pop, as well as glam rock as a whole.
Really funny you say this because this weekend I had Hunky Dory streaming and then when the album finished it moved onto some suggested titles in Roon. Iggy Pop came on and I thought to myself "huh...this kinda sounds like Bowie".

Really funny you say this because this weekend I had Hunky Dory streaming and then when the album finished it moved onto some suggested titles in Roon. Iggy Pop came on and I thought to myself "huh...this kinda sounds like Bowie".
They were really good friends too. I love all the pictures in this article:

The easiest intros for newbies are Hunky Dory and Ziggy imo! Station to Station, the Berlin Trilogy and Scary Monsters/Lets Dance are the best to move onto afterwards. That said he had a run from Hunky Dory to Lets Dance where he pretty much didn’t make a misstep and they are all worth a listen!

Agreeing fully @Joe Mac . Space Oddity is an oddity. Very much a product of its time (1969). Definitely spend some time with Hunky and Ziggy and then work out for there earlier and later. Check back in with comments or thoughts. I think all the regular posters have their favourite Bowie records.

Enjoy and welcome to the world of Bowie
Cheers mates, Hunky Dory is next up for a listen. One of the things that has me so interested in this is that it always seems like there's something for everyone in his catalog.
Bowie is captivating for many because he has very distinct periods of output--the box sets do a good job breaking these up.

His earliest stuff easily flows into Space Oddity and the Man Who Sold the World. With his first few albums, I call them the folk hangover period. He was very influenced by the folk wave of the 1960's, but you can tell that he has his own ideas through a lot of these songs. For this period, I would suggest to stick to the studio albums. I have several different recordings of his very early stuff, and while it's fun to see where he came from, it's not integral to getting to know Bowie discography.

Then he hit the Ziggy Stardust era where Bowie starts to create stage personas that help embody the music. Ziggy is arguably the "best" album, if not one of his most popular. It's a strong album, but he still uses conventional instruments. I have a strong feeling that Bowie was heavily influenced by Iggy Pop, as well as glam rock as a whole. He rounded these albums out with Diamond Dogs and Young Americans, which are also extremely strong albums. If you like Space Oddity, you will enjoy this run of albums too. You can see how he evolves sonically--in what I think are baby steps--during this time, but it all has a lot of the same vibe.

After this, Bowie got paired up with Brian Eno and took a definite turn in sound. He's still there, and you see where a lot of his ideas were, but this is a whole new sound. He started adding a lot more synth to his music, and he also got rather extreme during this time. It was known as his thin white duke persona stage, and if the Last Podcast on the Left is to be believed, he ingested nothing but peppers, milk and cocaine for a stint while creating some of these albums. This is when he did Station to Station and my personal favorite album, Low. I really, really love the albums that he did with Eno in the late 70's, and he returns to this sound in the 90's.

He, then, had some billboard success in the 80's with Let's Dance. The next run of albums after this one weren't great because he had signed a contract to deliver 4 albums, and by the second album, he no longer wanted to be in that contract, so Tonight and Never Let Me Down are two that IMHO you can skip, because even Bowie wasn't too jazzed about them.

I have to admit that I haven't listened to much Bowie from the early 90's just because getting my hands on a copy of something like Buddha of Suburbia has proven difficult. I'm looking forward to the newest box, because that's the period in Bowie history that I haven't delved into much. But when I got a CD copy of Earthling back in the late 90's, I think that ultimately got me on the Bowie bandwagon. From the early aughts, the only album I wasn't big on was Reality, but Blackstar made up for that.

tl;dr If you start with the old stuff, I recommend you go in order. I outlined a couple albums that I don't think you should miss and a few you can skip. What I love about Bowie is that he is a master of reinvention. He can change his style completely, but you know it's Bowie because he's so distinct. I think it's best to enjoy his discography in order so that you can follow how each iteration was influenced by the last.
This is great! "Folk hangover" is a good way to describe the first two, I can almost feel the place that music was in at that time. I'm also getting some pre-Zeppelin heavy rock vibes from songs like "She Shook Me Cold". You mentioned the box sets, that's actually the route I'm taking with this. My library has them so I'm going in the order as those dictate. I'm excited because the box sets (or at least the first one) have live albums too.

Back