Ch Ch Ch Changes! - David Bowie Talk

Wonder if working this deal through is part of the slow down on the next box set

I was just reading that article and coming in here to discuss it. I'm sure it's a part of why the announcement of Box 5 was delayed.

What does this mean for the Tin Machine material? Is that stuff still in the courts, I haven't followed? Curious if it would be part of Box 5 or not, though (I'm guessing most likely not).

What I heard was that David was very committed to the whole band democracy thing so all 4 members had equal vote/say in rights. Now it is Reeves versus the Sales brothers. Not sure why that would slow the reissues down, but the 3 remaining members have all been known to be total knobs so pick who ever you want to blame.

I was just reading that article and coming in here to discuss it. I'm sure it's a part of why the announcement of Box 5 was delayed.

What does this mean for the Tin Machine material? Is that stuff still in the courts, I haven't followed? Curious if it would be part of Box 5 or not, though (I'm guessing most likely not).

It’s an extension of the current deal...and box set five is called Brilliant Adventures ...December release ..

Strange that they are recycling the name for the box set since the series of live albums from late last year was called Brilliant Adventures. So no Tin Machine but also no Fame 90 in this box set.

I still think the deal extension had something to do with the delay as the press release says "the entirety of Bowie's 2000-2016 creative outpouring". With this box set ending in 2000, the question of Toy still is up in the air. It was recorded in 2000 but was on the schedule for a 2001 release by Virgin. Their refusal to release it allowed him out of the contract and he jumped to Columbia/Sony and set up his own label ISO.

No just take my damn money!!!

Strange that they are recycling the name for the box set since the series of live albums from late last year was called Brilliant Adventures. So no Tin Machine but also no Fame 90 in this box set.

I still think the deal extension had something to do with the delay as the press release says "the entirety of Bowie's 2000-2016 creative outpouring". With this box set ending in 2000, the question of Toy still is up in the air. It was recorded in 2000 but was on the schedule for a 2001 release by Virgin. Their refusal to release it allowed him out of the contract and he jumped to Columbia/Sony and set up his own label ISO.

No just take my damn money!!!

The box cover seems to say 1992-2001 if that helps any.

How do you buy these? Is there any advantage to preorder early? The two boxes I have, I just ordered when they dropped a bit on Amazon. That said, prices haven’t dropped much since the pandemic. Still waiting for box 4 to drop to the low 200’s and it never got there. I got the other two for about 180.

I have preordered them all on Amazon. Just averted my eyes when I hit the buy button. They are pricy but I know I will always buy them so I resign myself to that fact. Hopefully I might be able to flip my coloured versions of Outside and hours. Both are going for silly money.

I have preordered them all on Amazon. Just averted my eyes when I hit the buy button. They are pricy but I know I will always buy them so I resign myself to that fact. Hopefully I might be able to flip my coloured versions of Outside and hours. Both are going for silly money.

Oddly, I remember exactly where I was when I ordered one of them. I was actually sitting in the Bell Center watching a game when I hit buy for New Career In A New Town. Got an email alert for the price drop between periods, lol.

Does anyone remember if the regular studio albums included in previous boxes were available individually around the same time as (or shortly after) that box’s release?

Basically I’m asking whether I’ll need to buy this box in order to acquire 1. Outside.

Does anyone remember if the regular studio albums included in previous boxes were available individually around the same time as (or shortly after) that box’s release?

Basically I’m asking whether I’ll need to buy this box in order to acquire 1. Outside.

They came out about 6 months later but any additional mixes/lost albums/the re:call comp were exclusive to the box.

How do you buy these? Is there any advantage to preorder early? The two boxes I have, I just ordered when they dropped a bit on Amazon. That said, prices haven’t dropped much since the pandemic. Still waiting for box 4 to drop to the low 200’s and it never got there. I got the other two for about 180.

I just bought them from my local. Beyond the first one which is going for silly money they’re still in stock in my local never mind the Amazons of the world. They are pricy as a lump but for what they are I always though they represented decent value, especially compared to the dumb Anthologies VMP sell for silly money!

They came out about 6 months later but any additional mixes/lost albums/the re:call comp were exclusive to the box.

Right, I figured those are exclusive to the box since I’ve never seen them in the wild.

I don’t have any of the previous boxes, so it’d be futile for me to chase them at this point. That’s why I have my eyes set on the studio albums I’d like to have but am still missing (Outside, Heathen, maaaaybe Earthling/BTWN/Hours though tbh I can’t see myself paying full price for those last three).

Right, I figured those are exclusive to the box since I’ve never seen them in the wild.

I don’t have any of the previous boxes, so it’d be futile for me to chase them at this point. That’s why I have my eyes set on the studio albums I’d like to have but am still missing (Outside, Heathen, maaaaybe Earthling/BTWN/Hours though tbh I can’t see myself paying full price for those last three).

Yeah that’s fair enough. When the boxes were coming out in September I remember noticing the albums from them in my local March/April the following year. That said I’ve not noticed too many from the 80s box in my local but maybe that’s because bar Lets Dance they didn’t order many copies because they’d be harder ones to shift for them.

Edit: Cogs is showing the 80s albums as having 2019 vinyl reissues so that tallies with the other 3 boxes and my suspicions re smaller local stores.

Last edited:
I just bought them from my local. Beyond the first one which is going for silly money they’re still in stock in my local never mind the Amazons of the world. They are pricy as a lump but for what they are I always though they represented decent value, especially compared to the dumb Anthologies VMP sell for silly money!

Agreed!

I did notice amazon.ca still have Who Can I Be Now and New Career, and both of those go for less than Alien. You'd think Alien being the least popular of the bunch would be the cheapest...

Back