Cables - one of the most taboo subjects in audio

Thanks! It looks like that comes with everything I need does it not? Cable for wall plug and cable for TT AC input is included, I think according to the description? It's not super clear...

Yes reading it again it does look like there is a IEC cable in there. Plus when I bought mine there was a little drop down menu to specify which cable or none. I’d probably email them anyway if you’re considering it to get the price without VAT for Canada and for postage costs.

How do you upgrade when there are barrel plugs involved

I dunno if my U-turn has a barrel plug (I think it's IEC without the ground) but I know with AC adapters you need certain amperages and voltages or else it will just blow up

And on a similar topic, good power conditioners I can put on my carpeted floor

How do you upgrade when there are barrel plugs involved

I dunno if my U-turn has a barrel plug (I think it's IEC without the ground) but I know with AC adapters you need certain amperages and voltages or else it will just blow up

And on a similar topic, good power conditioners I can put on my carpeted floor

They’re adapters so the upgrade is either an AC power supply for an AC adaptor, like what I linked to for Mather, or a linear power supply like I have if it’s a D.C. switch mode power adapter. I doubt u turn make then as upgrades so you’ll likely be looking to find a third party company who makes them as upgrades.

You could get a power conditioner that in effect a larger power strip, like the ifi or the ps audio one I have, and place it inside a plastic cable tidy box. Bonus is cable tangle mess is tidied away inside the box!

@Mather so if your power brick has 16V AC written on it your upgrade is something like this. This is from the same guys I bought from. From the blurb they make them for North American voltages too. There may be a company your side of the pond that makes them too. You could get them to supply it with one of their own IEC cables or buy one of your fancy Biz ones.

Damn, I went down the rabbit hole and checked, and Clearaudio does such a linear power supply for the concept...They sell it for $1000! That's good to know it's an eventual upgrade down the road though...

They’re adapters so the upgrade is either an AC power supply for an AC adaptor, like what I linked to for Mather, or a linear power supply like I have if it’s a D.C. switch mode power adapter. I doubt u turn make then as upgrades so you’ll likely be looking to find a third party company who makes them as upgrades.

You could get a power conditioner that in effect a larger power strip, like the ifi or the ps audio one I have, and place it inside a plastic cable tidy box. Bonus is cable tangle mess is tidied away inside the box!
My current power setup so you know what requirements I have

And yes they are ALL barrel plugs and switching power supplies
16154288847885430681512741429191.jpg
My magni 3+ alone is a huge box

16154289573952270191258090435392.jpg

If you want to upgrade those power supplies, the labels have everything needed to spec out the new one, specifically, the "output" lines.
I'm not sure what custom supplies would cost. Also, since those are AC output, there isn't as much opportunity to improve them as if they were DC.
Maybe try a conditioning power strip first. As an added bonus, those will still be good s you upgrade your system.

Is there a difference between the BJC 12 & Belden 5000UE 12? Also anyone know what color the Belden is? I don’t really want white cables.

Is there a difference between the BJC 12 & Belden 5000UE 12? Also anyone know what color the Belden is? I don’t really want white cables.

It’s the same cable. The 5000UE is what they use in the BJC12 too. For some reason they call the white jacket the BJC and use the cable’s own name for the grey. Strange. You have to remember to order a quantity of 2 as well because they sell speaker cables individually and not in pairs.

I added the Rega Reference Mains Lead to my Elex-R last week, it’s the same cable they include with the Osiris and the Aethos. I did an a/b test a few times against the stock and I felt (in my system, my room and with my ears) it added some additional clarity and widened the sound stage slightly, so a worthy addition to the system for a small outlay.

It’s the same cable. The 5000UE is what they use in the BJC12 too. For some reason they call the white jacket the BJC and use the cable’s own name for the grey. Strange. You have to remember to order a quantity of 2 as well because they sell speaker cables individually and not in pairs.
Great! My current cables aren’t quite long enough and I want to rearrange my components. I’m watching some Mission cables so if those don’t work out, I was considering the BJC.

Thanks!

I highly recommend Signal Cable. I replaced my Zu Mission cables with a set of Analog Two’s. They were far and away better. More midrange clarity, more bass, and slightly more smooth. I’ve tried their Silver Resolution RCAs as well. They had more detail, but the treble was very fatiguing. The Analog Twos are more expensive than BJC, but comparable in cost to the Missions that Zu Audio is selling on eBay.

Here they are, the $140 jumper cables.

IMG_1337.JPG
They're "Jena Labs Super Jumpers", I've read some good reviews on NAD users using this to go from pre-out to main-in and I decided to give them a shot. They come with extra rubber stoppers thingies in a bag. Will report back.

Also take a gander at their website if you want your eyes to bleed. super jumpers

Last edited:
I’m really not a huge cable guy. Yes, they can make a difference, but if they are quiet (well shielded) and well constructed, I’m good.

That said, I’m finding myself looking at upgraded headshell leads for my new Jelcos.
I think that many people experience surprise when using a low capacitance phono cable because the cable can actually be more neutral in the audio circuit. Cable capacitance in a MM setup can create electrical resonances which tilt up the frequency response. To some ears, low capacitance will sound “dull”. Some phonos, like the Bryston BP-1.5 allow you to adjust capacitance upwards to fit your tastes.

Below is a technical discussion of that phenomenon and how to calculate the impacts.

Capacitance can vary widely among well-made RCA cables, impacting phono system frequency response. Here is a sample I found tonight:

Blue Jeans LC-1: ~40 pF/meter
Analysis Plus Oval One: ~100 pF/meter
Morrow MA-1: ~400 pF/meter

All can be found for less than $100. I would expect all three to “sound” different in a MM setup given the same cartridge, turntable and phono amp. Of course, a cable has no “sound” of its own, but can be more or less reactive in a capacitance-sensitive circuit.

Cable capacitance is less of a concern when using MC cartridges, as described in the earlier article. Resistive “damping” in the phono amp is the predominant concern there. This is why many phono amps have adjustable loading values; no one expects a phono cable to have much resistance but some variance may be desired.

Anyone need a 1M Blue Jeans LC-1 rca-rca Interconnect btw ? I have a like new stereo, available, would take $25 + $5 u.s. postage or trade for a cool or couple albums ? DM me. **SOLD**

20210726_184158.jpg

Last edited:
Back