Cables - one of the most taboo subjects in audio

I switched from the Mission cables to the Analog Two interconnects from Signal Cable. They cost a little more, but right out of the box they blew the Missions away.
Interesting! Do you use them as a phono interconnect also, w/o a ground? And, have you tried their speaker cables?

Last edited:
Interesting! Do you use them as a phono interconnect also, w/o a ground? And, have you tried their speaker cables?
My phono interconnects are built into the junction box of my VPI, so no. I have them running from my phono pre to my amp. I’ve tried the silvers too, but they were too bright for my setup.

I liked the interconnects so much that I picked up a set of their speaker cables second hand, replacing Zu Libtec cables I bought from @displayname. The improvement was similar: clearer sound, more bass punch. Maybe the Zu house sound is too dark for the rest of my system.

Need some expert cable advice! Now that I've got a newborn at home, listening to heavy music very loudly on the stereo is less of an option so it's time to get a good set of headphones. Probably going to go with Sony WH1000XM4, but for those time when I don't want to go Bluetooth I'll need a (drumroll) cable!

Any recommendations on a good quality headphone cable? Looking for something chunky and kinda old school. Maybe braided and certainly coiled. 3.5mm with either a 1/4 inch on the other or an adapter.

I know Sennheiser headphone cables have a screw on 3.5 to 1/4 adapter which is really cool, idk what the performance is though

Thanks for the recommendations!

I switched from the Mission cables to the Analog Two interconnects from Signal Cable. They cost a little more, but right out of the box they blew the Missions away.
I'm interested. My setup is MoFi StudioDeck+M --> DJ PreII pre-amp --> Bellari EQ 570 --> Yamaha AS501. For the three interconnects, I'm using 2x Amazon Basics RCAs and an old Monster Cable RCA. Definitely not an ideal setup so I'm considering upgrading.

Did you get the Standard RCA plugs? Where did you notice improvements?

I'm interested. My setup is MoFi StudioDeck+M --> DJ PreII pre-amp --> Bellari EQ 570 --> Yamaha AS501. For the three interconnects, I'm using 2x Amazon Basics RCAs and an old Monster Cable RCA. Definitely not an ideal setup so I'm considering upgrading.

Did you get the Standard RCA plugs? Where did you notice improvements?
I splurged and went with the Neutriks. I can’t speak to the standard plug version, but I found the cables immediately gave me greater midrange clarity, more bass, and a slightly more smooth sound. Far and away better than the Zu Audio Mission cables they replaced.

Appreciate it. It didn't get the fancy plugs. I'm a little dubious about spending $165 on interconnects as it is, but recognize the need to at least get a quality cable.

Appreciate it. It didn't get the fancy plugs. I'm a little dubious about spending $165 on interconnects as it is, but recognize the need to at least get a quality cable.
Just an fyi, the Analog Twos don't come with a ground wire. In my system, there was hum, but it disappeared completely when I added a ground wire. If this could be an issue in your system and you don't have a spare ground wire, then email Frank to tell him you intend to use the Analog Two as a phono cable and ask if he would include a simple ground wire in your order.

My Signal Analog Twos arrived today and I got the system all wired up. I know that I'm as susceptible to confirmation bias as anyone, but they sound great. The first thing I noticed is that the bass was booming after connecting them. I had to re-EQ the system because that bass was coming through so effortlessly and clearly. I need way less sweetener on the Bellari 4-band EQ. Love these cables!

My Signal Analog Twos arrived today and I got the system all wired up. I know that I'm as susceptible to confirmation bias as anyone, but they sound great. The first thing I noticed is that the bass was booming after connecting them. I had to re-EQ the system because that bass was coming through so effortlessly and clearly. I need way less sweetener on the Bellari 4-band EQ. Love these cables!
Placed an order for these the other day. Not sure when they will be arriving but excited for them!

New here, but thought I would jump in. I've been using the SVS Soundpath speaker cables. Replaced some Vampire wire I purchased in the mid-80s. Can't really hear a difference, but they sure look good.

My interconnects from the Schiit Modius DAC to the Freya+ preamp to the Hypex NC-400 amplifier are Mogami balanced cables. Here, the move from RCA to balanced made a big difference. If I recall, Paul McGowan at PS Audio indicated these were what he used as his standard unless he wanted to really spend a lot on the cable. I think the use of the balanced connection is more relevant to the sound than the cable in this case.

In my location, the power is pretty clean so I have never felt the need to upgrade power cables. Maybe I will. My analog side is SL-1200GR to Darlington MM-6 to the Freya+. I am using the cable that came with the turntable to the MM-6 and some old interconnects from about when I purchased the Vampire Wire. These were an upgrade in their day, but no name on the cable that I could see. Definitely will be looking for turntable interconnect suggestions.

Finally I use a Wireworld Starlight 8 coax from the Blusound Node streamer to the Modius DAC. Again, it fits better and I think I have fewer errors, but not sure I detect a noticeable change in sound.

New here, but thought I would jump in. I've been using the SVS Soundpath speaker cables. Replaced some Vampire wire I purchased in the mid-80s. Can't really hear a difference, but they sure look good.

My interconnects from the Schiit Modius DAC to the Freya+ preamp to the Hypex NC-400 amplifier are Mogami balanced cables. Here, the move from RCA to balanced made a big difference. If I recall, Paul McGowan at PS Audio indicated these were what he used as his standard unless he wanted to really spend a lot on the cable. I think the use of the balanced connection is more relevant to the sound than the cable in this case.

In my location, the power is pretty clean so I have never felt the need to upgrade power cables. Maybe I will. My analog side is SL-1200GR to Darlington MM-6 to the Freya+. I am using the cable that came with the turntable to the MM-6 and some old interconnects from about when I purchased the Vampire Wire. These were an upgrade in their day, but no name on the cable that I could see. Definitely will be looking for turntable interconnect suggestions.

Finally I use a Wireworld Starlight 8 coax from the Blusound Node streamer to the Modius DAC. Again, it fits better and I think I have fewer errors, but not sure I detect a noticeable change in sound.
I got upgrade Power Cables for all my stuff. Phono Pre-Amp and Sub was the only noticeable difference. Turntable made absolutely no difference in my opinion and my amp was minimal enough to call it plecibo.

Phono PreAmp was Vincent Pho8 and improved with both ZU Mission and Pangea power cables. I would suggest at least trying it out on the Darlington see what happens. Could always try one cable and move it around to each component for scientific purposes.

I bought my sub used so who knows what power cable I actually got in the first place, but it made it very more responsive and cleaner sounding. My girlfriend even noticed it without me telling her I spent money on cables. SVS sub, even better upgrade which absolutely blew my mind how much better was the improved feet. I can't believe they don't just use those standard it made that big difference in my house. I started with carpet then got floors and both sounded better too.

My experience/opinion with interconnects is just make sure they are shielded. Blue Jeans is as good as anything else I tried but I have only tried a couple in the slightly more expensive range (Zu Mission was in this range at the time of the ebay deals).

I don't think you can upgrade the Darlington power cables since it is a wall brick style (I think he talks about this on his sight) with a smaller gauge cord to the unit. May try some Pangea power cables on the amplifier and the Freya pre. Also plan on cleaning up the path from turntable to the Freya with something slightly better interconnect cables, maybe BJC.

Do you think you need to go all of the way up to the top of the line Pangea power cable to notice a difference?

I don't think you can upgrade the Darlington power cables since it is a wall brick style (I think he talks about this on his sight) with a smaller gauge cord to the unit. May try some Pangea power cables on the amplifier and the Freya pre. Also plan on cleaning up the path from turntable to the Freya with something slightly better interconnect cables, maybe BJC.

Do you think you need to go all of the way up to the top of the line Pangea power cable to notice a difference?
I just bought the original one and not the SE. Make a difference? Maybe? I can say for sure the original one does make a difference but how much of a gain will you get verse cost of the SE no idea. Personally if I was doing it I would buy the cheaper one just for the shielding.

2 things to consider: Size of the plug, for example I got the Zu Mission now and can only go every other spot on my strip because they are so big. Also Measure twice and don't over buy. Better to buy bigger than you need but not crazy over because it adds up quick.

I would for sure start with one and see if it even makes a difference you notice across all your components. Everybody situation can be different from equipment to local power, etc. Like I mentioned previously, some made a huge difference some didn't at all (that I noticed).

I just bought the original one and not the SE. Make a difference? Maybe? I can say for sure the original one does make a difference but how much of a gain will you get verse cost of the SE no idea. Personally if I was doing it I would buy the cheaper one just for the shielding.

2 things to consider: Size of the plug, for example I got the Zu Mission now and can only go every other spot on my strip because they are so big. Also Measure twice and don't over buy. Better to buy bigger than you need but not crazy over because it adds up quick.

I would for sure start with one and see if it even makes a difference you notice across all your components. Everybody situation can be different from equipment to local power, etc. Like I mentioned previously, some made a huge difference some didn't at all (that I noticed).
One thing I would add is to keep your eye on the various used gear sites like The Music Room, Echo Audio, Audiogon, Audiomart, etc. Power cables require a lot of burn-in so buying used will not only allow you to get a better cable (like a Shunyata) for less, you'll also be way ahead of the game on burn-in.

Hi @BobPM,

My limited experience with cables (including power cables) has been that it really seems system-dependent. For example, I tried the Pangea AC 9SE MKII and AC 14SE MKII on my Parasound HINT 6 and Parasound JC 3 Jr. phono pre. When I first installed them, I was blown away by how much more detailed and "sparkly" everything sounded (I used to be very skeptical about cables). Then, after about a week, the sound became dull and lifeless and seemed to stay that way for about the entire month I auditioned them. I ended up returning them and switching out to a different brand.

You'll want to try different ones and maybe try the lending library at the Cable Co. You might even find that cables don't make that much of a difference and might not be worth it. BTW, I recently discovered the power cable made a HUGE difference in my new DAC, whereas, on my previous DAC, I didn't notice a thing.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Got a new NAD C538 cd player and used my Signal Cable Analog Two cables and it sounds great. I went ahead and put in another order at Signal to replace the connection I stole that cable from. What a great cable and deal!

Got a new NAD C538 cd player and used my Signal Cable Analog Two cables and it sounds great. I went ahead and put in another order at Signal to replace the connection I stole that cable from. What a great cable and deal!
I like my signal interconnects too! Got one pair a few weeks ago.

Back