Cables - one of the most taboo subjects in audio

I'm by no means an authority on this by ANY stretch but yeah I ignored the TT AC cable but replaced the Amp, Sub, and stage with the same house brand, but all 3 got slightly different versions of the AC cable due that were tailored to their individual needs. (Look don't ask me that's what they said so I just threw my wallet at them and walked away happy)

I can see a degree of logic in using a heavier gauge cable of the same line for integrated or power amps and powered subs and speakers.

I can see a degree of logic in using a heavier gauge cable of the same line for integrated or power amps and powered subs and speakers.
Yeah basically there were two things happening. One, I couldn't afford 3 of the best AC and also they specifically said to use a different one for units with DAC circuits and then also suggested the sub would be fine to go to a slightly lower cable model, if I was going to pick which of the 3 to spend a bit less on.

Alright fellow snake oil hunters, I’m getting ready to start saving for my next upgrade, and I think I’m starting from the wall this time… planning to replace all the power cables.

In this process I’ll also be moving to the linear power supply for my Sutherland 20/20, but let’s focus on cables first.

Here are my main questions:
Should I go uniform across the system, or should some components get “better” power cables.

I’ll note that these are all running through a Wireworld Spaceport, and devices requiring plus include: power supply, amp, dac/streamer, cd transport, phono and turntable.

My initial thought is that if anything can survive from a lesser cable, it’s probably the TT. Any ideas/opinions?
Yes, all components should need better cables. I did it to my system and with great benefits to all components.

Yes, all components should need better cables. I did it to my system and with great benefits to all components.
I mean, yes, but if you haven't sorted out your system, probably not the wisest use of funds. I'm running a starter level furman conditioner which will be replaced before I upgrade power cables. Do spend a couple extra bucks on decent interconnects currently and did upgrade my speaker cables when I upgraded the amp - mostly out of necessity because the sony had some bullshit connectors for speakers.

In this process I’ll also be moving to the linear power supply for my Sutherland 20/20, but let’s focus on cables first.
I know the cables are first, but I’d drop a line to Ron Sutherland about the linear power supply before purchasing. My recollection was that he didn’t think it enhanced the output, but started selling them only after customers long requested it. Many people have a bias against the power supplies Ron originally spec’d for the 20/20. Might want to ask him about cord preferences, as well.

I'm by no means an authority on this by ANY stretch but yeah I ignored the TT AC cable but replaced the Amp, Sub, and stage with the same house brand, but all 3 got slightly different versions of the AC cable due that were tailored to their individual needs. (Look don't ask me that's what they said so I just threw my wallet at them and walked away happy)
The TT power cord only controls the motor and any speed control it may have; it does not impact the signal coming out of the cartridge.

VPI would have been happy to sell you Weisline in the tonearm at an upcharge!
Haha I know! $700... i.... don't think so.

But also, I'm confused. It says tonearm cable but it appears to just be an RCA cable.

Last edited:
Let me put it this way, I’m looking to upgrade all the power cables, but how should I prioritize budget?
EX: with a $1K budget for two power cables, would you get the same cable for both TT and amp, or maybe spend $200 on the cable for the TT and $800 on the cable for the amp?

I know the cables are first, but I’d drop a line to Ron Sutherland about the linear power supply before purchasing. My recollection was that he didn’t think it enhanced the output, but started selling them only after customers long requested it. Many people have a bias against the power supplies Ron originally spec’d for the 20/20. Might want to ask him about cord preferences, as well.
Honestly for me a big part of the power supply is consolidating the number of cables. If I’m looking at cables that runs over $400, getting the LPS to consolidate to a single power cable makes sense.
Not only is it one less power cable to buy, it’s also one additional outlet open on my conditioner. The difference between needing 6 and 7 outlets can be expensive if I ever upgraded power supplies in the future.

The TT power cord only controls the motor and any speed control it may have; it does not impact the signal coming out of the cartridge.
Some argue that if it’s all running into the same power supply (or outlet) that the cables impact noise across the entire system. Obviously a debated topic.

But also, I'm confused. It says tonearm cable but it appears to just be an RCA cable.
It is a fancy RCA cable. VPI will rewire your tonearm using Weisline or you can use the standard tonearm wiring with a RCA cable to your phono employing Weisline within it.

I’m not a fan of Nordost or Weisline, for the record. Although I love VPI as a company, I still remember they once sold magic bricks as an audio accessory. I scoff.

It is a fancy RCA cable. VPI will rewire your tonearm using Weisline or you can use the standard tonearm wiring with a RCA cable to your phono employing Weisline within it.

I’m not a fan of Nordost or Weisline, for the record. Although I love VPI as a company, I still remember they once sold magic bricks as an audio accessory. I scoff.
Have you ever had a magic brick in house to test it out?

You want real crazy. There’s a line of thought that taking off your glasses massively improved the sound of your system v wearing them 😂😂😂

You want real crazy. There’s a line of thought that taking off your glasses massively improved the sound of your system v wearing them 😂😂😂
I can almost understand that. Just from a brain focus but. If I lesson the sharpness of my other senses I can focus more on the ones left. It’s why Daredevil is a superhero.

I can almost understand that. Just from a brain focus but. If I lesson the sharpness of my other senses I can focus more on the ones left. It’s why Daredevil is a superhero.

It’s nothing to do with the system though. It’s a physiological effect. These loopers were arguing about refractions off the lens and all sorts of bullshit like that.

Back