Cables - one of the most taboo subjects in audio

I’ve posted similar before but this is how my evening listening sessions look.

I just find it helps me relax and enjoy listening. It’s all subjective ambience beyond the system itself!

View attachment 182459
I’d show you a picture of when I’m really deep into listening but all you would see would be the gear’s power lights. Those have been taped over to show about half light. My version of sensory deprivation. I do have electric candles for when the wife or friends are listening with me. I learned the hard way that real candles are a no go in my house.

Here ya go. Enjoy!

Here ya go. Enjoy!

From a long proud lineage of eccentric English hobbyists coming up with “inventions” in their garden sheds…

Speaking of magic bricks…

IMG_8351.jpeg

Speaking of magic bricks…

View attachment 182477

I upgraded the power cable to my phono pre today from an Audioquest Monsoon to a Audioquest Thunder. The Thunder is not the most flexible of PCs.

It made an obvious, non-subtle change. The bass grew more solid, and while it was quiet already, it’s eerie quiet now, especially for a tube design.

Yummy. 🤤

IMG_1085.jpegIMG_1084.jpeg

Last edited:
I upgraded the power cable to my phono pre today from an Audioquest Monsoon to a Audioquest Thunder. The Thunder is not the most flexible of PCs.

It made an obvious, non-subtle change. The bass grew more solid, and while it was quiet already, it’s eerie quiet now, especially for a tube design.

Yummy. 🤤

View attachment 183557View attachment 183558
Allnic phono?

Yep. It’s a H-1201. I got it as a used demo item from the distributor, originally as an interim piece until I get my Decware. I’m still on the list for the Decware but it’ll be competing with my Sutherland 20/20 in my other system. The Allnic has really, really impressed me.
Nice piece for a 2nd sytem some day. I know zero about Decwares phono - will have to check that out. I'm very curious about their new 300B amp, now that I have speakers that would pair really well. Checked the waitlist though - 2 years. Guess that would give me time to save up?

Look who's back in the cable zone!

I know awhile back we had a ton of members here jump on the Zu cable train when they were clearing out all the MK1 mission cables.
Has only one moved further up the Zu cable line? I'm considering moving from Mission MK1 to Event Mk2, starting with power cables.

New question for anyone with experience, or just willing to think through options.
The real question is higher end AQ power cables in core placement, or more cables being replaces with more midrange options?

Using the same budget, which might you try:
- Synergistic Foundation + upgrade some Zu Mission cables to Zu Event + Sutherland LPS for 20/20 (3 new cables. Syn into power supply. Event into amp and dac)
- AudioQuest Hurricane - one high current, one source

I can likely demo the AudioQuest in my system, and possibly the Synergistic, but Zu would be a leap of blind faith.

Back