Black Lives Matter

But the idea that people are inherently evil and must be policed comes a lot from Christian belief systems--the same ones used to justify colonialism, whiteness, genocide, manifest destiny.

Holy shit! Sorry I'm excited. Thank you so much for everything you posted (always 💕) but I want to focus in on this quote. I think this is something that is not obvious to most people but is at the root of inequity and oppression, at least in the Western Christian world. The ingrained perception of superiority that comes with the embodiment of God in the form of a white male has absolutely driven the concepts of race, whiteness, manifest destiny, 3/5 of a man, etc., and continues to drive and influence all of our institutions whether they be political, economic, or social.

I'm not really educated about any of it, but these are just thought I've had and in this moment where anxiety is even more of a challenge than usual you helped me to feel less.

What does this actually look like though? Genuinely curious...what do you replace it with? The militarization of police absolutely needs to be dissolved. But what goes in the place of police? Are there any examples of nations that have no police force whatsoever (if that is even what you are referring to?) EDIT: I think your above post recommending reading material may be the best bet at answering this question. Really appreciate you sharing those resources.

I've seen some interesting half measures proposed to try to move things in the right direction. Justin Amash is drafting a bill to allow people to sue individual police officers. Some people suggested that police officers will need to purchase insurance--someone on your police force fucks up, rates rise for everybody...I'd love to see cops get their guns taken away, but it wouldn't prevent tragedies like George Lloyd or Eric Garner. And when we do have shooting after shooting after shooting but people are more concerned about their right to bear arms than these lives lost, I don't know how proper gun legislation get passed. Outside of protesting and voting, what else can be done?

Speaking from personal experience, all the racist white kids in my suburban hometown ended up becoming cops. Most people do not tend to become cops to help their community--they do so for the power and lack of accountability. Yes, there are some good cops out there, but even they are constrained by the bad cops most of the time.

and then once they get that power their paranoia and need to protect that position runs rampant. Our police force were found to have put surveillance outside of the policing ombudsman’s office to monitor the staff going in as well as tapping the phone lines to try and get advances warning of complaints against them. I‘m sure that, and much worse, happens across the world but it just exemplifies so much of what is wrong, more concerned with maintaining their status quo than with getting better.

What does this actually look like though? Genuinely curious...what do you replace it with? The militarization of police absolutely needs to be dissolved. But what goes in the place of police? Are there any examples of nations that have no police force whatsoever (if that is even what you are referring to?) EDIT: I think your above post recommending reading material may be the best bet at answering this question. Really appreciate you sharing those resources.

I've seen some interesting half measures proposed to try to move things in the right direction. Justin Amash is drafting a bill to allow people to sue individual police officers. Some people suggested that police officers will need to purchase insurance--someone on your police force fucks up, rates rise for everybody...I'd love to see cops get their guns taken away, but it wouldn't prevent tragedies like George Lloyd or Eric Garner. And when we do have shooting after shooting after shooting but people are more concerned about their right to bear arms than these lives lost, I don't know how proper gun legislation get passed. Outside of protesting and voting, what else can be done?

Speaking from personal experience, all the racist white kids in my suburban hometown ended up becoming cops. Most people do not tend to become cops to help their community--they do so for the power and lack of accountability. Yes, there are some good cops out there, but even they are constrained by the bad cops most of the time.

Ask yourself why do we need the police?
I think there are potential answers to your question when you examine the why? what? and who? of policing

Yes, I hope those resources give you some ideas. I love sharing this stuff, haha. I hate that I dont' do it enough.
The kindle version should work. There is a fair amount of journaling to do - so a notebook/diary type situation would be needed with the kindle.

I'll wait a few days to see if anyone else wants to join. But I'm anxious to get going. Monday at the latest.
I want to join too! I'll buy it.

lol - i meant the royal we but point taken

Haha! Yes that too. To be honest the first modern police force, the met in London, was set up in response to the particular set of circumstance that existed in the mid 19th century with the rapid industrialisation of the UK and the unprecedented population redistribution into rapidly growing cities that couldn’t accommodate it. Let’s be honest that does not exist anymore in the western world, we’ve gone through it. We really have to have a long hard look into how we prevent/investigate/punish crime and what even crime is. I don’t think it looks like most modern police forces.

This past week has been hard. Today feels the hardest. I’d consider myself especially leery of slacktivism; I know many people’s efforts start and end with their social media. I live in Portland; I’m very familiar with the idea that some people are more interested in looking virtuous than acting with virtue.

That said, it makes me really sad to see people turn on one another over the instagram blackout. Of all the days since last Monday, this has been the one where I’m most convinced nothing will change. If we focus on the people trying to do something and simply tell them they’re wrong…that just seems like what the cops want right now: infighting.

I’m half black. I pass as white. I don’t get hassled by cops or followed by shopkeepers, though I’ve seen both happen to my own dad, firsthand. I grew up in the white suburbs of Arizona, and had no connection to the black side of my family. People tell me I’m too white in my demeanor to possibly be “of color.” I have a really difficult relationship my with identity, and feel constantly pulled between polarities; some people would tell me I have no right to identify as a person of color, while others would say I’m shirking my responsibilities as a person of color by not speaking up more.

There are people who don't understand what #blackouttuesday is about. I don't think that means they are coming from a bad place. There are also people that are using it correctly. I've seen so many influencers using it correctly. And linking to resources and ways to donate. That can't be bad, can it?

For those that are not using it correctly, maybe we can kindly educate them?

And I have no problem with all the black tiles. I understand that it is diluting the #blacklivesmatter hashtag. So, again, let's educate why that is not helpful and steer people trying to do the right thing towards the correct way.

Educate.

Ask yourself why do we need the police?
I think there are potential answers to your question when you examine the why? what? and who? of policing
I mean...I got mugged for my iPod when I was in college but a policeman was nearby and caught the guy who did it. Other people were around and nobody helped out. My mom was held up at knifepoint at Grand Central Station when she was pregnant with me and a policeman was able to safely diffuse the situation. I understand that police have been given way too much power and suffer no consequences most of the time for their dangerous actions. And my experiences in no way represent the majority of what the police do and the abhorrent things a lot of them do. But that's why I asking what it should be replaced with as I am pretty unaware/uneducated in the entire subject. I'm looking forward to reading what @GritNGlitter recommended though! Downloaded The End of Policing and will start reading it tonight.

Primarily it’s about moving all that money that goes into policing into proactive things like access to housing and mental health support.

Edit: all that money that goes into war and policing could improve access to education as well.

There are people who don't understand what #blackouttuesday is about. I don't think that means they are coming from a bad place. There are also people that are using it correctly. I've seen so many influencers using it correctly. And linking to resources and ways to donate. That can't be bad, can it?

For those that are not using it correctly, maybe we can kindly educate them?

And I have no problem with all the black tiles. I understand that it is diluting the #blacklivesmatter hashtag. So, again, let's educate why that is not helpful and steer people trying to do the right thing towards the correct way.

Educate.
Can you explain what it is about to me?

I understand the points made by black artists (and others) I have seen who take issue with the top down industry created day rather well. I don't understand much about what it is supposed to be from the originators ("the industry"?) other than them not working or maybe not selling? I'm not even sure of that.

I agree that it isn't something to attack or get upset with people who are well meaning in their use of it, but I don't get it and I don't get how it helps. All of the people/companies, like VMP, who have used it as an excuse to make statements and donate money are obviously doing a good thing, but I still don't see what that has to do with the blackout other than being the same day.

I wrote in a project in grad school that school and the education system is the most universal government invention in all people’s lives. Imaging if at every school you had access to a social worker, MH counselor, lower student to teacher ratios, more opportunities to explore extra curricular activities. School sights could be built into the center piece of a community. I know it a pie in the sky idea. I’ve worked in poor schools in East LA next to section 8 housing and currently in one in a wealthy suburb. The difference is stark.

the one I work at now has 4 MH workers (including me) 3 academic counselors. For a school of 1600.

not so much in the East LA middle school I worked at. They had a lot more gang problems and poverty at that school.

you wonder why there is two different outcomes.

Also Ed is usually the first institution that faces cuts. It’s gonna happen in every state this year.

Primarily it’s about moving all that money that goes into policing into proactive things like access to housing and mental health support.

Edit: all that money that goes into war and policing could improve access to education as well.
Thanks. I understand that aspect of it--shifting a lot of resources to way more important things. I was more confused about entirely getting rid of any sort of police. I don't know of any nation that doesn't have any sort of police presence. Disarmed and demilitarized police, yes and I'm all for that, but can't think of any countries that have no police force.

I understand the points made by black artists (and others) I have seen who take issue with the top down industry created day rather well. I don't understand much about what it is supposed to be from the originators ("the industry"?) other than them not working or maybe not selling? I'm not even sure of that.

I agree that it isn't something to attack or get upset with people who are well meaning in their use of it, but I don't get it and I don't get how it helps. All of the people/companies, like VMP, who have used it as an excuse to make statements and donate money are obviously doing a good thing, but I still don't see what that has to do with the blackout other than being the same day.
I think the idea stems from a few things:

1) get rid of white noise, ads, etc and attempt to have all social media spotlight what is going on right now.

2) amplifying black voices and have everyone use their platform to post petitions, donation links and other important information to let people know how they can help out with the movement

It's sad, but interrupting social media is a way to get a lot of peoples' attention nowadays.

1) get rid of white noise, ads, etc and attempt to have all social media spotlight what is going on right now.

2) amplifying black voices and have everyone use their platform to post petitions, donation links and other important information to let people know how they can help out with the movement

It's sad, but interrupting social media is a way to get a lot of peoples' attention nowadays.
I agree that companies should be respectful and stop pushing ads and stuff that seem tone deaf in this time, at least for this week. I hope they do it more than one day. Not sure what that really accomplishes other than not making them look like they don't care, though.

As for the second part, I guess I'm not the target demo, because I feel like that happened on the social media I participate in a few days ago. But if that isn't true for everyone and today helps someone living under a relative rock see more and be motivated to help, then that is great.

I still see how black artists are frustrated that it is coming from an industry that has very frequently preyed off of black artists instead of having their best interests at heart, though. I hope people see some of that message too.

First, thank you for asking! So many people are afraid to admit when they don't know something. But it's important to admit that, especially when it comes to BLM and race. The questions and discussions are how we all learn together.

I think Mike got it. It was to center black voices. To get rid of the food posts, the vacation posts, the stores, etc. To highlight black voices, causes, communities, art, etc.

I think it also makes a powerful visual statement. (As long as it doesn't dilute the BLM hashtag). I know that my nieces will grab their parents' phones and scroll through IG. I imagine lots of kids do. I'm also betting the kids seeing these tiles will prompt questions and discussions. That's a good thing.

I do not know all of the nuances so I'm going to research and learn more.

Here is the site:

as i have a soft spot for most somali things and the country generally, i was sad to read about this the day after it had happend and im so happy for this lady now.
Minneapolis seems to be such an important hub for Somalis and have a huge Somali community and this seems to be an important place.

Back