Biggest Vinyl Regrets & Misses

Usually when I see something I might regret not getting, it’s at a price where I’m comfortable passing. Once albums start to hit $60+ I pass on a lot of them, and never regret it because I can fund a few albums with that money.

The only ones that I’d move on if they came up again are Santigold and Manson - Mechanical Animals.
Santigold was pretty affordable, but I just was feeling other things that day. Manson was very expensive (over $200 I believe) which made walking away a little easier.

Samurai champloo is a dual regret. Not getting it when it re released for 30 then actually buying it and it’s so poorly pressed it has a skip in it.
I have others but they are things I bought at Goodwill or used for cheap and I didn’t like them and apparently no one else does either because I can’t get rid of them.

Just remembered another one.

For some unknown reason I didn’t buy a signed copy of "You Goddamned Son of a Bitch" by The Revolting Cocks at a shop in NJ. I had a big pile already so I was probably trying to keep my bill down.

It was only $8!

Also, I'll throw in here Blossom Dearie, the VMP edition. I had it ready to send to me, but swapped it out. Now I'm regretting it. At least on the upside, I swapped for Biggie before it went out of stock, but I still miss my Blossom Dearie.

Should’ve bought myself two Beatles mono sets when I scooped it at $100.

To be fair, that was a window of mere hours, not days and we had no idea if those were ever going to ship. At $25 shipping for one they may have just cancelled yours if you got ambitious ordering multiples. Just some thought to keep yourself sane.

I know it's silly and unhealthy to dwell on things like this, but tbh I'm still kind of reeling from missing out on the 1000 gecs vinyl.

This still hurts, in 1996 I transferred my job and uprooted for a new life to beautiful Oxnard/Ventura, Ca. Still part-time at my job (years of seniority to go full-time, I was close, tho) so money was very dear AND I hadn't been a vinyl fanatic for a couple years by this point after a lifetime of buying (didn't even have a working turntable at the time). Just being young and my own - same old story. I meet a cool supervisor at work who always made his way over whenever I was playing old reggae tapes (1996!) or cd's. He's a couple years older than me and says he's looking to buy a house and has records he doesn't really play anymore and they took him years to collect, so would I be interested in buying them cheap? He really just needed one less bunch of heavy things to move. 600 albums and 45's ALL roots reggae and dub and early punk rock - Jamaican pressings, limited edition colored pressings...very very good+ condition (if you've shopped Jamaican pressings you can appreciate how rare THAT is), just phenomenal. He wanted $200. Told him I am heartbroken but just don't have the money. So he goes down to $125. Sigh. Yeah, just wrong timing. I could barely afford gas and rent back then. Not many days go by when my heart doesn't sink just a little thinking on that.

Back