Best Music of 2021

Joining in the praise. Feeling confident that this could be an all-timer in post-rock.

I understand others making the comparisons to black midi, I really do. But whereas BC,NR has an instrumental focus of post-rock/post-punk (while seemingly in control of itself, across all six tracks), black midi sounds much more math-rock inspired and decisively more chaotic.
To me I guess I wasn't surprised that they are both from the same scene, but I guess it seems like other than the broad post-rock genre you maybe could apply to both and the Mark E. Smith vocal comparisons (which apply to many bands) there are big differences, not limited to the violin and sax and klezmery forays.

Last edited:
Joining in the praise. Feeling confident that this could be an all-timer in post-rock.

I understand others making the comparisons to black midi, I really do. But whereas BC,NR has an instrumental focus of post-rock/post-punk (while seemingly in control of itself, across all six tracks), black midi sounds much more math-rock inspired and decisively more chaotic.
Also, I really like Black Country, New Road. I don’t care much for Black Midi.

Same! I was super pumped for the Black Midi record but it just wasn’t for me.
Yeah, it made me a bit hesitant to give Black County a go based on the comparison but I have enjoyed a few of the other “Windmill Scene” band (namely Shame and Squid) and I don’t think they sound too similar. Thankfully, I also saw more than a few references to Slint in the reviews I’d read so that pique my interest. I don’t hate Black Midi either, I just didn’t enjoy it as much as the UK press did.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this album here yet, but I just discovered it today (released this past Friday the 12th). The album is Three Little Words from Montreal singer-songwriter Dominique Fils-Aimé. This is my first experience with Dominique's music, but I'm pretty impressed! What a voice!! I guess this album concludes a trilogy of albums that focuses on African-American music culture. I need to check out more of her work! Anyone here familiar with her?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this album here yet, but I just discovered it today (released this past Friday the 12th). The album is Three Little Words from Montreal singer-songwriter Dominique Fils-Aimé. This is my first experience with Dominique's music, but I'm pretty impressed! What a voice!! I guess this album concludes a trilogy of albums that focuses on African-American music culture. I need to check out more of her work! Anyone here familiar with her?

I'm familiar with the name only but you got me intrigued now. 🤔

Yes, I really love her previous album, Stay Tuned. Looking forward to listening to the new one some more.

I have her previous record "Stay Tuned!" - that one is more jazzy while this new one has a more classic soul vibe. But I wanted to say that the pressing I have for "Stay Tuned!" is fantastic. Really quiet so all of the overlaid voices really pop. Highly recommend.

I have her previous record "Stay Tuned!" - that one is more jazzy while this new one has a more classic soul vibe. But I wanted to say that the pressing I have for "Stay Tuned!" is fantastic. Really quiet so all of the overlaid voices really pop. Highly recommend.
Which pressing do you have?

Back