Shabaka and the Ancestors- We Are Sent Here By History
Sylvan Esso - WITH
Sonic Boom -All Things Being Equal

The Sorcerers - In Search of The Lost City of the Monkey God
Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Westside Gunn- Pray For Paris
Yaeji- What We Drew
Yves Tumor-Heaven to a Tortured Mind

There's maybe three albums on there that would make my list and they were all hip-hop. (not saying anything here was bad, just not much that floated my boat) :oops: got some ones to check out though.

Last edited:
There's maybe three albums on there that would make my list and they were all hip-hop. (not saying anything here was bad, just not much that floated my boat) :oops: got some ones to check out though.

I’ve listened to about 20 of those, and I think 5 made my top 10 (Freddie Gibbs, Waxahatchee, Fiona, RTJ, and Jason Isbell)

I'm assuming they haven't listened to Shrines yet, even though it came out the same day as RTJ, because that is a big snub otherwise!

Last edited:
I'm assuming they haven't listened to Shrines yet, even though it came out the same day as RTJ, because that is a snub otherwise!
They have

It's been a massive year for the genre so far this year so it doesnt surprise me that Shrines isnt on here. I'm just glad to see that Ka album in the top 10. My biggest complaint is Car Seat Headrest ahead The Price of Tea

They have

It's been a massive year for the genre so far this year so it doesnt surprise me that Shrines isnt on here. I'm just glad to see that Ka album in the top 10. My biggest complaint is Car Seat Headrest ahead The Price of Tea

I love Ka's lyrics/flows but I need my damn drums.

They have

I mean, it surprises me as I think it is way better than most of the albums on there, but it doesn't surprise me that they didn't put it on there I guess, especially with what they wrote in their 6 sentence review.

I don't think CSH should be on there. Glad Ka is getting recognition, but I'm not sure how they could bump Shrines below 50 for being "difficult" and put Ka in the top 10.

I mean, it surprises me as I think it is way better than most of the albums on there, but it doesn't surprise me that they didn't put it on there I guess, especially with what they wrote in their 6 sentence review.

I don't think CSH should be on there. Glad Ka is getting recognition, but I'm not sure how they could bump Shrines below 50 for being "difficult" and put Ka in the top 10.
Funny, saw this thread right after writing that, which I think is related. Both Armand Hammer and Ka seem to always get glowing reviews over at pitchfork, but they also put the same score on them every time and don't give them BNM, just a weird phenomenon at least.

My number one problem with pitchfork:

Screenshot_20200610-115649.png

Screenshot_20200610-115703.png

He's biased but he's not lying. If the editors don't want to give a score that reflects the review, they shouldn't publish the review.

Sorry, not trying to bog down this thread. But Ka and Armand Hammer definitely put out some of the best music of 2020!

Last edited:

I also think part of it is Shrines just came out and I dont think Backwoodz does advanced copies, where I would assume Stereogum had an advanced copy of RTJ4 for a while now. I wouldnt be surprised if Shrines still has a chance to make the year end, and I expect it on their year end best in hip hop list.

They have

They put out a real review right after we talked about it 😂.

I feel like they put a lot of albums in the right places. But, their top 3 is suspect.

That said, they didn’t even include my 2nd favorite Hip-Hop album of the year, so the list is bunk. Haha.

It’s Kota the Friend - Everything btw.

Albums I’ve loved this year so far

Moses Sumney - Grae
Laura Marling - Songs For Our Daughter
Bonny Light Horseman
Thundercat - It Is What It Is
Monophonics - It’s Only Us

Looking forward to a slew of new stuff that is landing in the next couple of months!

Last edited:
Albums I’ve loved this year so far

Moses Sumney - Grae
Laura Marling - Songs For Our Daughter
Bonny Light Horseman
Thundercat - It Is What It Is

Looking forward to a slew of new stuff that is landing in the next couple of months!
That's it? Thats a short list 😄

That's it? Thats a short list 😄

Yeah, a lot of the stuff I’m most excited for is just about to come out. Some of the stuff I’ve heard this year that’s not on is still marinading, time will tell for me. I don’t like to throw superlatives around willy nilly so it’s short, the top two are exceptional by any measure and I’ve really enjoyed the other two.

Back