2. Ka - Descendants of Cain
3. Pink Siifu - Negro

The rest, in no particular order...

Pod Blotz - Transdimensional System
Westside Gunn - Pray for Paris
Freddie Gibbs & Alchemist - Alfredo
Dean Blunt - Roaches
RTJ - 4
Viviankrist - Cross Modulation (Bootleg Remixes)
KeiyaA, Forever, Ya Girl
Cities Aviv - Immortal Flame
Hieronymus Dros - The Age of Hieronymus
Incapacitants - Onomatopée Suicida
Preservation - Eastern Medicine, Western Illness
Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
Armand Hammer - Shrines
Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Patchouli Blue
Boldy James & Alchemist - Price of Tea in China
Conway - No One Mourns the Wicked
Medhane - Cold Water

Last edited:
It's taken me like 6 listens for the new Phoebe to finally click with me. I think because I was so familiar with the 3 songs released before the album that the rest of it didn't stand out so that much on the first few listens. If I hadn't listened to, for example, "Kyoto" a dozen times before and heard the full album that would easily be a stand out track that I'd want to listen to over and over.

I'm always conflicted about listening to lead singles before an album releases. What if those songs are the best songs on the album and the rest of it just isn't as good? So now the whole thing is out and you're a little underwhelmed. This had happened with the new Soccer Mommy album. The three singles released on that record were, in my opinion, the best songs off that album.

At the end of the day, I'll eventually forget that "Garden Song", "Kyoto", and "ICU" were lead singles and enjoy them as part of the album. But, when I see people praising this album I'm looking past those lead singles. Assuming the praise is towards the rest of the album that didn't click with me right away.

I'm always conflicted about listening to lead singles before an album releases. What if those songs are the best songs on the album and the rest of it just isn't as good? So now the whole thing is out and you're a little underwhelmed. This had happened with the new Soccer Mommy album. The three singles released on that record were, in my opinion, the best songs off that album.
The Gorillaz album Humanz taught me a valuable lesson in not listening to too many singles prior to the album release. They released like five or six songs ahead of the album, and of course they were the best songs on the album. Taking that, combined with an album that wasn't what I was expecting after waiting seven years, made for a bad initial listening experience. It was like I was just listening waiting for the next song I'd already heard to pop in. The album as a whole has grown on me a lot since but I've tried to make a point of only listening to two songs max prior to the album so I don't spoil a good chunk of the album ahead of time.

The Gorillaz album Humanz taught me a valuable lesson in not listening to too many singles prior to the album release. They released like five or six songs ahead of the album, and of course they were the best songs on the album. Taking that, combined with an album that wasn't what I was expecting after waiting seven years, made for a bad initial listening experience. It was like I was just listening waiting for the next song I'd already heard to pop in. The album as a whole has grown on me a lot since but I've tried to make a point of only listening to two songs max prior to the album so I don't spoil a good chunk of the album ahead of time.
yeah I think I may start doing this with bands/artists that I really, really like. Or just listen one time only. I'm most likely going to enjoy it so I'd rather it now sour the full album experience.

I do distinctly remember listening to early singles from the last two National albums several times before those albums released. However, both albums ended up having other songs that were equally good, if not better, on them so it didn't ruin it at all.

It's taken me like 6 listens for the new Phoebe to finally click with me. I think because I was so familiar with the 3 songs released before the album that the rest of it didn't stand out so that much on the first few listens. If I hadn't listened to, for example, "Kyoto" a dozen times before and heard the full album that would easily be a stand out track that I'd want to listen to over and over.

At the end of the day, I'll eventually forget that "Garden Song", "Kyoto", and "ICU" were lead singles and enjoy them as part of the album. But, when I see people praising this album I'm looking past those lead singles. Assuming the praise is towards the rest of the album that didn't click with me right away.
Interesting...standouts for me are "Chinese Satellite" and "I Know The End".

Garden Song is on my shortlist for song of the year. Kyoto and ICU are both good but I think most of the heavy lifting is done by Garden Song, Graceland Too, I Know The End, Halloween, and Chinese Satellite.

[More of same...]

Phoebe Bridgers. Damn. Listening to Punisher for the first time was an experience! So good, and stunning, and deep and beautiful. And the overall package is killer. I don't know if all versions are the same, but my Secretly Store Exclusive (blue swirl) came with a nice 12x12 print with an intense written piece by Carmen Maria Machado. Plus the lyric book, which is a multi-faceted piece of art in its own right. This is one of those rare instances where every penny spent was spent very well!

i always think of singles as 'samplers' of what's to come

i doubt there's many instances where i've listened to a single more than 5-10 times before an album drops; most recent example that may disprove that would be tame impala, who put out a couple of singles a year or so before his most recent album

Damn, i've been trying hard not to listen to the full Phoebe album until I get the vinyl but I might have to cave soon. Anyone hear any updates on the signed JPC pre-order? In my orders page it says they are still waiting on them to arrive.

Awesome to hear people are liking it though! She hasn't disappointed yet.

current top 10:
fiona apple - fetch the bolt cutters
laura marling - songs for our daughter
tame impala - the slow rush
dua lipa - future nostalgia
070 shake - modus vivendi
yves tumor - heaven to a tortured mind
christine and the queens - la vita nuova
charli xcx - how i'm feeling now
other lives - for their love
thundercat - it is what it is
Surprised you liked Christine & The Queens so much - kinda left me cold. But then again I'm always slow on the uptake with music ... takes me multiple listens!

Back