Best Music of 2019

So it’s around the time of the year when not much new stuff is coming out and I’m relistening to everything to help solidify my final list.

I’ve never really acknowledged this before but there’s albums that I end up “taking with me” from each calendar year. What I mean is I’ll listen to it loads in the current year, and just know that I’ll listen to it plenty years from now. The opposite of that is albums from this year that have a lot of hype so I check them out, enjoy them a little bit but will likely listen to them sparingly in future years from now. For example the new Vampire Weekend and Bon Iver are two examples I probably won’t “take with me”.

does anyone think like this or do this?
Absolutely. 2017 was a great example of that. Lots of stuff came out that was great and I listened to that year. But haven't revisited much. EXCEPT for Nicole Atkins. I didn't think that I would take that one with me as much as I have. But I totally get what you are saying. It will make my "best of the decade" list very odd compared to my individual best of lists of each year.

So it’s around the time of the year when not much new stuff is coming out and I’m relistening to everything to help solidify my final list.

I’ve never really acknowledged this before but there’s albums that I end up “taking with me” from each calendar year. What I mean is I’ll listen to it loads in the current year, and just know that I’ll listen to it plenty years from now. The opposite of that is albums from this year that have a lot of hype so I check them out, enjoy them a little bit but will likely listen to them sparingly in future years from now. For example the new Vampire Weekend and Bon Iver are two examples I probably won’t “take with me”.

Kinda, but then I am often surprised a couple years later by what actually has stuck around and what hasn't. And I bet if I checked my top 10 albums from, say, 2008, I didn't even know half those albums at the time, either.

Definitely feel that way. I try to give every album I own physically a fair chance at keeping them alive. But for sure there are always a few from each year that I still listen to more regularly. Like, my number 1 from last year - Hop Along - I still play it tons.

Also interesting you bring up Bon Iver. I was a huge fan of 22AM, but the new one never fully connected with me the same way. I even kinda forgot it existed until I read your post. That said, it's not bad. It just doesn't do much for me, nor does it have a good replay-ability. 22AM on the other hand...I still get an aching to listen to multiple times a year.

Definitely feel that way. I try to give every album I own physically a fair chance at keeping them alive. But for sure there are always a few from each year that I still listen to more regularly. Like, my number 1 from last year - Hop Along - I still play it tons.

Also interesting you bring up Bon Iver. I was a huge fan of 22AM, but the new one never fully connected with me the same way. I even kinda forgot it existed until I read your post. That said, it's not bad. It just doesn't do much for me, nor does it have a good replay-ability. 22AM on the other hand...I still get an aching to listen to multiple times a year.
I think the new Bon Iver is just bland and doesn't have a lot of memorable moments, where 22AM is the opposite (even though I don't care for it very much)

i,i is everything I wanted 22AM to be, but 22 is such a compelling mess that it really grew on me over the years. I don't see that happening with the new one

So far this is what I enjoy the most this year, unranked

Top Tier
The National - I Am Easy To Find (obviously)
Better Oblivion Community Center - S/T (still playing it all the time)
Angel Olsen - All Mirrors (took time to grow on me, but I love it a lot now)
Anna Meredith - Fibs (new to me, but goddamn this thing rules)
Big Thief - UFOF/Two Hands (UFOF has grown on me, Two Hands is the better of the two, but I lump em together even though that's not fair)
Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride (one of my most listened to albums this year)
Julia Jacklin - Crushing (an early standout and it still stands strong)
Jamila Woods - Legacy! Legacy! (one of the most rewarding with repeat listens)
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow (not my favorite SVE but I can't deny still liking it a lot)
Thom Yorke - Anima (gotta be in the mood for this one, but...it's so good, probably his best solo LP)

Next Tier
Stef Chura - Midnight (need more listens maybe, but it's a really solid album if you like indie rock)
FKA twigs - Magdalene (new to me, but I keep wanting to go back to it)
Arthur Moon - S/T (the biggest gift VMP gave me this year) - this could easily be in my top 10 with more attention -
Taylor Swift - Lover (the pop album of the year, sorry Billie Eilish)
Bryce Dessner + Katia and Marielle Labèque - El Chan (the best modern classical record of the year for me)

waiting for the vinyl on...
Danny Brown - uknowhatimsayin
Mount Eerie + Julie Doiron - Lost Wisdom Pt 2
Sufjan Stevens + Timo Andres - The Decalogue

But even with all this, I don't know if I'll do a top 19 of the year. Just hasn't felt super strong as a whole to be honest. The highs are high, but there's too many that just didn't completely stick with me, though I should give everything more listens.

My current top ten:
  1. Kishi Bashi - Omoiyari
  2. Rhiannon Giddens w/ Francesco Turrisi - there is no Other
  3. Michael Kiwanuka- Kiwanuka
  4. Neal Francis - Changes
  5. MorMor - Someplace Else
  6. Raphael Saadiq - Jimmy Lee
  7. Black Pumas - Black Pumas
  8. Tyler Childers - Country Squire
  9. Durand Jones & the Indications - American Love Call
  10. Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Colorado

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandanna
Billy Woods & Kenny Seagal - Hiding Places
Westside Gunn - Hitler Wears Hermes 7
Billy Strings - Home
clipping. - There Existed an Addiction to Blood
Ryley Walker & Charles Rumback - Little Common Twist
Peggy Gou - DJ Kicks
Mach Hommy & DJ Muggs - Kill Em All
Benny The Butcher - The Plugs I Met
Nick Cave - Ghosteen

Resident just published their top 💯 of the year if anyone is interested:

Wow, I mostly agree with this list. I am shocked they got Jambinai and l’épée. They hit almost all my other high spots. They criminally overlooked slenderbodies though. A list this astute makes me want to give some of the ones I agree with less another chance (Jenny Owens, Jenny Hval). Also impressed they got Carla Dal Forno. There’s very few of my top 20 that didn’t make this list.

Back