Best Music of 2019

My favorite albums of 2019 so far (alphabetical order)
  1. Avey Tare - Cows on Hourglass Pond
  2. Beirut - Gallipoli
  3. Better Oblivion Community Center- BOCC
  4. Billy Woods - Hiding Places
  5. The Comet is Coming - Trust in The Lifeforce of Deep Mystery
  6. Crimeapple- Wet Dirt
  7. Dave - Psychodrama
  8. Empath - Active Listening: Night on Earth
  9. Flee Lord - Gets Greater Later
  10. Jamila Woods - Legacy! Legacy!
  11. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Fishing for Fishies
  12. Little Simz - Grey Area
  13. Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
  14. Panda Bear - Buoys
  15. Pivot Gang - You Cant Sit With Us
  16. Pup - Morbid Stuff
  17. Rap - Export
  18. Spelling - Mazy Fly
  19. Theon Cross - Fyah
  20. White Denim - Side Effects
  21. Yugen Blakrok - Anima Mysterium

Last edited:
So far, I have:

The Delines "The Imperial"
Ex Hex "It's Real"
Little Simz "Grey Area"
LCD Soundsystem "Electric Lady Sessions"
Durand Jones & The Indications "American Love Call"
Lizzo "Cuz I Love You"
Jenny Lewis "On The Line"
Robyn "Honey"
Robert Charlebois "Et Voilà"
Lee Fields & The Expressions "It Rains Love"
Nilufer Yanya "Miss Universe"

Nilufer Yanya - Miss Universe is far and away the best album I've heard this year, but some other great stuff

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Better Oblivion Community Center - s/t
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Fishing for Fishies
Tedeschi Trucks - Signs
Julia Jacklin - Crushing

Those are the only ones I feel strongly about so far.

I haven't been listening to a ton of 2019 albums, but I've really loved:

Pom Poko - Birthday
Julia Jacklin - Crushing
Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride

And I've enjoyed:

Bones Garage - Oi Ma Yeah
CHAI - Punk
American Football - LP3
Jenny Lewis - On the Line
Tiny Ruins - Olympic Girls
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow

You made my night by making me aware that These New Puritans have a new album.
Grab it on wax if you can. The entire first pressing is psychedelic colored. Not the easiest to come by in store (waited 5 weeks with it on order at a local before they gave up on their suppliers), but ended nabbing it on Amazon no problem.

My favorites of the year so far in no particular order (there are many I still need to listen to and will soon)

Big Thief - U.F.O.F
Jamila Woods - Legacy! Legacy!
Little Simz - Grey Area
Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride
Malibu Ken - Malibu Ken
Sunn O))) - Life Metal

You made my night by making me aware that These New Puritans have a new album.

I think it was @EvanBenner on the old board that alerted me to this as well! It's a surprising album, much more pop than I had anticipated, which I'm not against it just makes them a little more generic to me. I enjoy listening to it, but I'm not sure if it is totally special. I will listen to it more though.

I NEED to give a shoutout to Malibu Ken, by Aesop Rock and Tobacco. These guys first collaborated on a Tobacco track called Dirt 11 years ago, and ever since I first heard that track I have needed a collab album between them. It took a while but holy sticky pudding I was not disappointed by it. I won't write a full-on review or anything (yet) but one of the most innovative rappers in underground history teaming up with the mastermind behind demented-electro-pop pioneers Black Moth Super Rainbow results in one of the most multi-faceted, intricate, and engaging rap albums I've heard all year. It takes a bit of digging into to fully get what's going on all the time (as any Aesop Rock fan should know by now), but when it hits, it hits like a ton of bricks

I NEED to give a shoutout to Malibu Ken, by Aesop Rock and Tobacco. These guys first collaborated on a Tobacco track called Dirt 11 years ago, and ever since I first heard that track I have needed a collab album between them. It took a while but holy sticky pudding I was not disappointed by it. I won't write a full-on review or anything (yet) but one of the most innovative rappers in underground history teaming up with the mastermind behind demented-electro-pop pioneers Black Moth Super Rainbow results in one of the most multi-faceted, intricate, and engaging rap albums I've heard all year. It takes a bit of digging into to fully get what's going on all the time (as any Aesop Rock fan should know by now), but when it hits, it hits like a ton of bricks

I was literally listening to this album 15 minutes ago. I think I need to give it a few more listens.. huge Aesop fan, but I tend to lean towards Float when I am spinnin'

I think it was @EvanBenner on the old board that alerted me to this as well! It's a surprising album, much more pop than I had anticipated, which I'm not against it just makes them a little more generic to me. I enjoy listening to it, but I'm not sure if it is totally special. I will listen to it more though.
I think it's brilliant. As someone who loved San Fermin's first two albums, TNP kind of stepped in and filled the chamber-pop gap on where I'd hoped SF's third album would go. Sure, Hidden and Field of Reeds may still have a leg up on ITR, but I still think these results were worth the wait.

I know it's 2019, but I thought this would be a good place to share a retrospective blog piece I wrote on my 50 favorite albums from 2018. I'm hoping to gather some notes from those who are willing.

It's a long read, but I'm not as worried about that as making sure every moment is well written and entertaining. I have a buddy who is going to deal with the whole visual side (album art, ext), and I'll probably find a way to split it up into 5 "parts".

I'm looking for thoughts on which sections are working vs. aren't, sentences that could be trimmed, ext.

Hopefully you enjoy it. It was inspired by the type of stuff Grantland used to publish. There are also a drinking game and a Spotify playlist built in.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vWPFisHiSo1FMzz69bTrmM455NzX5mNeaCGHqzQufls/edit?usp=sharing

(Also, this new These New Puritans album is dooooope).

Last edited:
Copying this over...

As we wrap up month 4 of 2019, these are my favorites so far. Most of these were out by the end of February, so the pace slowed for me over the last month or so. I'm also fortunate enough to have seen all but SVE live this year in support of these records.
  1. Moving Panoramas - "In Two" (perfect album...for me at least)
  2. Black Pumas - "Black Pumas"
  3. Bayonne - "Drastic Measures" (came out the same day as #1)
  4. Bob Mould - "Sunshine Rock"
  5. Jenny Lewis - "On The Line"
  6. Bruce Robison & Kelly Willis - "Beautiful Lie"
  7. Lizzo - "Cuz I Love You"
  8. Better Oblivion Community Center - "Better Oblivion Community Center"
  9. Sharon Van Etten - "Remind Me Tomorrow"
  10. Lee Fields & The Expressions - "It Rains Love"

[Updated 6/21]

Last edited:
I was literally listening to this album 15 minutes ago. I think I need to give it a few more listens.. huge Aesop fan, but I tend to lean towards Float when I am spinnin'
I get that, his early catalog has some absolute classics. I feel as if Aesop has been on a very clear trajectory throughout his career. He's still hardly an easy MC to keep up with but his lyrics have become noticeably less coded over the past decade or so. In that regard, Malibu Ken is hardly a shock, but I think he and Tobacco really hit a stride on tracks like Acid King and 1 + 1 = 13

Back