Best Music of 2019

Fair enough. I struggle to get through it, I find it very mid paced and lacking in vitality. Sleep Well Beast was a revelation in their catalogue for me, second only to the brilliance of Alligator.
I think IAETF is a great album if you’re really really into the National. I have no idea your level of fandom @Joe Mac but the length was not an issue for me in the slightest. If one of my all time favorite bands wants to make a 16 track album I’m not going to say no, I’ll tell them to keep going. I could probably axe the interludes though that’s my only complaint.

Sleep Well Beast is a great album it was my second favorite album from 2017, but it falls behind IAETF for me. I thought SWB was different, for sure, but not different enough. IAETF is a breath of fresh air with the new vocalists added.

I think IAETF is a great album if you’re really really into the National. I have no idea your level of fandom @Joe Mac but the length was not an issue for me in the slightest. If one of my all time favorite bands wants to make a 16 track album I’m not going to say no, I’ll tell them to keep going. I could probably axe the interludes though that’s my only complaint.

Sleep Well Beast is a great album it was my second favorite album from 2017, but it falls behind IAETF for me. I thought SWB was different, for sure, but not different enough. IAETF is a breath of fresh air with the new vocalists added.

I own all but their debut and like them a lot. That’s why I felt so disappointed by it. It’s not the length, it’s the tempo, it felt like it didn’t get out of second gear for me, all a bit one paced. I’ll give it another spin after I finish Anima and see if I’ve softened to it after 6 or 7 months.

OK, Spotify Wrapped nudged me towards a final answer. Here are my top albums, but this is not yet the order.

Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated (except this, this is my #1)
Billie Eilish - WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP (I DON'T KNOW WHY WE'RE YELLING)
Brittany Howard - Jaime
Caroline Polachek - PANG (SO MUCH YELLING!)
Charli XCX - Charli
King Princess - Cheap Queen
Labrinth- Imagination & the Misfit Kid
Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
Maggie Rogers - Heard It In A Past Life
Molly Tuttle - When You're Ready
pronoun - i'll show you stronger
Sasha Sloan - Self Portrait
Sigrid - Sucker Punch
SOAK - Grim Town
Taylor - Lover
Yola - Walk Through Fire
Caamp - By and By
The Highwomen - s/t

Also really liked - Durand Jones, Black Pumas, Maren Morris, Emily King, IDER, Jade Bird, Betty Who, Ms. White, Nicole Bus

Anima now there is an album that doesn't much for me. I'm a fan of Radiohead but solo Thom Yorke, I have always had a hard time getting into no matter how much I try.

yeah I can see why it’s not for everyone. I’m a massive Radiohead fan and Thom has lost me at points in his solo career. For me Anima is the point in which he‘s finally fully realised the goal of making his style of electronic music sound human and fragile and beautiful. It’s not my AOTM but Dawn Chorus is utterly spellbinding and is my song of the year. Also the bass on this vinyl press is epic, I can feel the vibrations in my chest.

OK, Spotify Wrapped nudged me towards a final answer. Here are my top albums, but this is not yet the order.

Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated (except this, this is my #1)
Billie Eilish - WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP (I DON'T KNOW WHY WE'RE YELLING)
Brittany Howard - Jaime
Caroline Polachek - PANG (SO MUCH YELLING!)
Charli XCX - Charli
King Princess - Cheap Queen
Labrinth- Imagination & the Misfit Kid
Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
Maggie Rogers - Heard It In A Past Life
Molly Tuttle - When You're Ready
pronoun - i'll show you stronger
Sasha Sloan - Self Portrait
Sigrid - Sucker Punch
SOAK - Grim Town
Taylor - Lover
Yola - Walk Through Fire
Caamp - By and By
The Highwomen - s/t

Also really liked - Durand Jones, Black Pumas, Maren Morris, Emily King, IDER, Jade Bird, Betty Who, Ms. White, Nicole Bus

😍 Sigrid 😍

thats such a fun album!

Those albums are about as opposite as you can get on the emotion they would elicit. But both do a great job of eliciting that emotion. Do you want to cry or laugh? Lol

I wanna dance and sing along out of tune and not have my vibe killed! You know it’s gunna be Sigrid next! Sorry lads, I’ll re-evaluate The National‘s latest over the weekend!

I wanna dance and sing along out of tune and not have my vibe killed! You know it’s gunna be Sigrid next! Sorry lads, I’ll re-evaluate The National‘s latest over the weekend!

Yep, I'll be joining you soon. I do my best out of tune singing in the car. And the people around me in traffic get quite a show.

yeah I can see why it’s not for everyone. I’m a massive Radiohead fan and Thom has lost me at points in his solo career. For me Anima is the point in which he‘s finally fully realised the goal of making his style of electronic music sound human and fragile and beautiful. It’s not my AOTM but Dawn Chorus is utterly spellbinding and is my song of the year. Also the bass on this vinyl press is epic, I can feel the vibrations in my chest.
I think his solo stuff is hit or miss, but I've come to appreciate it all. Anima, though, is on another level. It can be a bleak listen, but when I'm in the mood, it hits the spot. And I can't deny the beauty he's brought to his jerky electronic sounds. There are a handful of tracks on it that are some of my favorite songs of the year easily.

See I own 11 of the RS list, 3 from the top ten. There are another 6 that I listen to regularly, including 1 more in the top ten. None of this bothers me at all.
I have 14 from the list and there's another half dozen that I've listened to and liked, it's just the top of the list that's questionable.

Back