Bandbox: an uncompensated review of an interesting new club

I signed up for this and it's been fun! I chose Neil for my initial box and got Rust Never Sleeps and Hitchhiker, both of which obviously rule. My second box, which I went in blind on, was Dire Straits - Making Movies and Love Over Gold. These were deeper cuts to me, as I had mostly just listened to the self titled and Brothers In Arms. I dug 'em! Also, the little magazine and interview inserts are neat and fun to flip through and read.

December is going to be a New Order / Joy Division themed box, which is a neat idea! I like the concept of one album from each artist and am looking forward to what gets chosen. The discogs integration is also great, nice to know I won't ever get a duplicate.

For the price it's a lot of fun. You have to be willing to be flexible, but as this is my main way of acquiring records (for myself, at least) at the moment a grab bag of two per month for 50 bucks with some bonuses is just about perfect.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to stop by and let you know that you can now choose your artist every month with Bandbox. We're featuring St. Vincent this month and have Dire Straits on deck for November. As always, the code for 50% off your first month is FIDDY. Check us out at www.bandboxrocks.com!

ok given the username REM box WHEN

I signed up for this and it's been fun! I chose Neil for my initial box and got Rust Never Sleeps and Hitchhiker, both of which obviously rule. My second box, which I went in blind on, was Dire Straits - Making Movies and Love Over Gold. These were deeper cuts to me, as I had mostly just listened to the self titled and Brothers In Arms. I dug 'em! Also, the little magazine and interview inserts are neat and fun to flip through and read.

December is going to be a New Order / Joy Division themed box, which is a neat idea! I like the concept of one album from each artist and am looking forward to what gets chosen. The discogs integration is also great, nice to know I won't ever get a duplicate.

For the price it's a lot of fun. You have to be willing to be flexible, but as this is my main way of acquiring records (for myself, at least) at the moment a grab bag of two per month for 50 bucks with some bonuses is just about perfect.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm so glad that you've enjoyed Bandbox so far. R.E.M. should be coming in 2020! They're my favorite band of all time, so I want to give it time and make sure that we knock that one out of the park. :)

Tbh

Joy Division and new order are very tempting

Would a lengthy interview with Peter Hook tempt you any further?

Thanks for the kind words! I'm so glad that you've enjoyed Bandbox so far. R.E.M. should be coming in 2020! They're my favorite band of all time, so I want to give it time and make sure that we knock that one out of the park. :)

Would a lengthy interview with Peter Hook tempt you any further?
If you can get a New Adventures exclusive I’ll be in for life!

If you can get a New Adventures exclusive I’ll be in for life!

I would consider my life complete if we could do that! New Adventures and Up are the only albums of theirs I don't have on vinyl, and I'm always kicking myself because I saw Up in a since-closed record store here in Minneapolis for $25 in 2011. I have no idea why I didn't buy it.

I would consider my life complete if we could do that! New Adventures and Up are the only albums of theirs I don't have on vinyl, and I'm always kicking myself because I saw Up in a since-closed record store here in Minneapolis for $25 in 2011. I have no idea why I didn't buy it.

Up is way underrated! I love the not-really-a-Leonard-Cohen-cover that is 'Hope' and also a bunch of the other songs.

Got my box today! Joy Division's 'Unknown Pleasures' and New Order's 'Technique'. Super happy with this one, probably my favorite yet.

Next month is Johnny Cash, which is AMAZING for me because I have always meant to get some Cash vinyl but never have. And as always, stoked to see what ends up being the 'classic' and what ends up being the 'overlooked gem' pick.

I will continue to rep this box because it feels very home grown and personal! I love the focus and the care put into it. Thoughtful selections beat out limited color pressings any day, as far as I'm concerned.

Got my box today! Joy Division's 'Unknown Pleasures' and New Order's 'Technique'. Super happy with this one, probably my favorite yet.

Next month is Johnny Cash, which is AMAZING for me because I have always meant to get some Cash vinyl but never have. And as always, stoked to see what ends up being the 'classic' and what ends up being the 'overlooked gem' pick.

I will continue to rep this box because it feels very home grown and personal! I love the focus and the care put into it. Thoughtful selections beat out limited color pressings any day, as far as I'm concerned.
Oh wow, Technique is a fantastic album!!

Classic I'm guessing will be Folsom prison

Glad you enjoyed it so much! I think it's our best yet too. :)

Glad you enjoyed it so much! I think it's our best yet too. :)

The fan talks zines are equally as good as the other ones too. You guys are running a great operation and it makes me so happy to get yr stuff in the mail each month. Thanks for doing what you do! The enthusiasm you have for music really comes through and I'm happy to support your deal.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know that we've switched up the format to Bandbox a little. First, the price has been lowered to $29 per month for an album of your choice and a zine about the artist (expanded from 12 to 16 pages), with free shipping and exchanges. You can add extra albums to your box for just $17 each. Also, we're now offering two new boxes each month! March's artists are Bruce Springsteen and Rage Against the Machine. This promo code hasn't been made widely available, but I love reading this board, so you can get your first box for $9 with the code ROCKS20. Happy spinning!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know that we've switched up the format to Bandbox a little. First, the price has been lowered to $29 per month for an album of your choice and a zine about the artist (expanded from 12 to 16 pages), with free shipping and exchanges. You can add extra albums to your box for just $17 each. Also, we're now offering two new boxes each month! March's artists are Bruce Springsteen and Rage Against the Machine. This promo code hasn't been made widely available, but I love reading this board, so you can get your first box for $9 with the code ROCKS20. Happy spinning!

signed up with the code to get the New Order box. Don’t have Technique so I’m stoked!

@mapsandlegends --a few questions for ya on the subscription:

*How does it work month-to-month? Do you add new artists each month?

*What's the cut off date to cancel if I want to cancel the sub for any future months? And would I just email if I wanted to cancel?

Thanks! Looking forward to trying this out though. Seems great and glad to see a bunch of people on here digging it as well.

Back