August '22 - N&G VINYL SPINS CHALLENGE - Don’t tell @MikeH

Day 27 - Just a Little Lovin

6787A739-3E6E-4C99-8605-E315E26CF2DD.jpeg

Whitney Houston - The Bodyguard Soundtrack

Sadly I don’t own any Dust Springfield even though “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me” is one of my favorite songs of all time. I went with Whitney because in 2019 both Dusty in Memphis and “I Will Always Love You” we’re both inducted into The National Recording Registry of recordings that are that "are culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant, and/or inform or reflect life in the United States." (My original chose of Tina Turner’s “Private Dancer” was also inducted this year)

29. Ode to Joy

Chicano Batman "Invisible People"
(2020 ATO Records)
Includes the song "Moment of Joy". This is a record I learned about because @Lee Newman included it in a year-end list. The record itself is a ton of fun in its own weird way, an odd ode to joy if you will. I've kept this in regular rotation over the last few years as well, so it's had staying power.

IMG_2957.JPG

Day 28: “The Sidewinder”

Hans Dulfer - El Saxofón

I just finished spinning this. It was a random pick-up in that popmarket sale that I grabbed because I was curious about the combo of Dutch free jazz with Latin elements and some Spanish singing. I love the Latin bits, but am not fully sold on the free jazz sax. It's not a relaxing listen, yet it's one I'll return to for sure as it stands out for it's uniqueness and it's a good album to actively listen to and think on what they're doing. Other than it falling into the jazz genre and being of the same generation but on different sides of the ocean, there's not a lot of similarity between the two. And I'll definitely give Lee Morgan the nod for my personal preference, but Hans Dulfer gets a lot of credit for the level of experimentation on this session which really makes this stand apart from a lot of jazz that can start to blend together after a while.

IMG20220830101901.jpg

Day 28: “The Sidewinder”

Hans Dulfer - El Saxofón

I just finished spinning this. It was a random pick-up in that popmarket sale that I grabbed because I was curious about the combo of Dutch free jazz with Latin elements and some Spanish singing. I love the Latin bits, but am not fully sold on the free jazz sax. It's not a relaxing listen, yet it's one I'll return to for sure as it stands out for it's uniqueness and it's a good album to actively listen to and think on what they're doing. Other than it falling into the jazz genre and being of the same generation but on different sides of the ocean, there's not a lot of similarity between the two. And I'll definitely give Lee Morgan the nod for my personal preference, but Hans Dulfer gets a lot of credit for the level of experimentation on this session which really makes this stand apart from a lot of jazz that can start to blend together after a while.

View attachment 150007
You are hitting my hot takes spots man… Jazz all blending together is incomprehensible to me. Sure if all you listen to is 60s Hard Bop…

You are hitting my hot takes spots man… Jazz all blending together is incomprehensible to me. Sure if all you listen to is 60s Hard Bop…
I know there's plenty of diversity across subgenres and time periods, and I didn't say all Jazz. But there is a ton of bad jazz out there, on the one hand (which is true of all genres of music, which also tend toward blending together into a soup of grey), but on the other hand, I think a lot of it boils down to how often the tradition is built on covering each other, sitting in on each other's sessions, and playing well known standards that makes a fair amount too repetitive at times. Not that I can't prevent that by picking what I choose to play, as I do to ensure I don't get bored with it, but it's rarely a genre I can stream and let the algorithm pick for me because then I feel like it does too often tend toward the soup.

Day 30: She Don’t Live Around Here

I don't know this song or artist, so I looked her up to find some common thread to choose an album for today. I came across this:
Fish released her fourth solo album, Chills & Fever on March 17, 2017. The album was recorded in Detroit and was recorded with members of the band The Detroit Cobras

I JUST saw the remaining members of The Detroit Cobras on Sunday at a Rachel Nagy tribute, so I have to play the 45 I grabbed at the merch booth.
IMG_1844.jpg

The guest singer was Marcus Durant from Zen Guerrilla and MC50.
23FD8CEA-2AD0-4E96-AB1D-482344F593A1.JPG

Back